sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel - BSD

This is a discussion on sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel - BSD ; Hi, I would like to compile a custom kernel to disable iic and ichiic because it slows down the system (IBM x300/5). I know how to disable them via UKC but how do I disable them in the GENERIC file? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

  1. sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

    Hi,

    I would like to compile a custom kernel to disable iic and ichiic because it
    slows down the system (IBM x300/5).
    I know how to disable them via UKC but how do I disable them in the GENERIC
    file? Simply comment out anything with iic/ichiic or is there some kind of
    "disable iic" like in UKC?

    Thanks, Helmut



  2. Re: sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

    Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to compile a custom kernel to disable iic and ichiic
    > because it slows down the system (IBM x300/5).
    > I know how to disable them via UKC but how do I disable them in the
    > GENERIC file? Simply comment out anything with iic/ichiic or is there
    > some kind of "disable iic" like in UKC?


    Have you read config(8)? And understood that you do not need to compile
    a new kernel just to disable a device?

    Joachim

  3. Re: sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

    Joachim Schipper wrote:

    > Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> I would like to compile a custom kernel to disable iic and ichiic
    >> because it slows down the system (IBM x300/5).
    >> I know how to disable them via UKC but how do I disable them in the
    >> GENERIC file? Simply comment out anything with iic/ichiic or is there
    >> some kind of "disable iic" like in UKC?

    > Have you read config(8)?


    Yes, I did.

    > And understood that you do not need to compile a new kernel just to
    > disable a device?


    Sure, but what happens if I apply the lastest patch branch which requires a
    kernel rebuild?


  4. Re: sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

    On 2007-06-28, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >
    >> And understood that you do not need to compile a new kernel just to
    >> disable a device?

    >
    > Sure, but what happens if I apply the lastest patch branch which requires a
    > kernel rebuild?
    >


    You re-disable it when you reboot to the new kernel. I think you already
    know that the UKC changes don't stick unless you redo them via
    "config -f -e ..." so I won't repeat that :-)

    I do this all the time on a dual-boot machine that has the hardware clock
    set to local time instead of GMT.

    --
    ratfood@food.skaterat.net
    All foods should be removed to reply

  5. Re: sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

    John McGrail wrote:

    > On 2007-06-28, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >>> And understood that you do not need to compile a new kernel just to
    >>> disable a device?

    >> Sure, but what happens if I apply the lastest patch branch which
    >> requires a kernel rebuild?

    > You re-disable it when you reboot to the new kernel.


    Why should I build a kernel with iic/ichiic support when I disable it
    afterwards?


  6. Re: sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

    Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > John McGrail wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-06-28, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >>> Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >>>> And understood that you do not need to compile a new kernel just to
    >>>> disable a device?
    >>> Sure, but what happens if I apply the lastest patch branch which
    >>> requires a kernel rebuild?

    >> You re-disable it when you reboot to the new kernel.

    >
    > Why should I build a kernel with iic/ichiic support when I disable it
    > afterwards?


    Because GENERIC is supported? Because there is no good reason not to,
    unless you are working in 16MB of RAM or something similar? Because, if
    you cannot figure out how to do this, you probably shouldn't? Because
    GNU is Not UNIX (and OpenBSD is)?

    If you really want to do this,

    # grep -v iic /usr/src/arch/`machine`/conf/GENERIC > \
    /usr/src/arch/`machine`/conf/GENERIC.NOIIC

    is likely to work. You get to keep the pieces, though. And it's not like
    adding config to your build script is that difficult...

    Joachim

  7. Re: sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

    Joachim Schipper wrote:

    > Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> John McGrail wrote:
    >>> On 2007-06-28, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >>>> Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >>>>> And understood that you do not need to compile a new kernel just to
    >>>>> disable a device?
    >>>> Sure, but what happens if I apply the lastest patch branch which
    >>>> requires a kernel rebuild?
    >>> You re-disable it when you reboot to the new kernel.

    >> Why should I build a kernel with iic/ichiic support when I disable it
    >> afterwards?

    > Because GENERIC is supported? Because there is no good reason not to,
    > unless you are working in 16MB of RAM or something similar? Because, if
    > you cannot figure out how to do this, you probably shouldn't? Because
    > GNU is Not UNIX (and OpenBSD is)?


    Bad-tempered?

    > If you really want to do this,
    > # grep -v iic /usr/src/arch/`machine`/conf/GENERIC > \
    > /usr/src/arch/`machine`/conf/GENERIC.NOIIC


    OK, so the answer is: comment them out if you need to, there is no such
    keyword "disable" within GENERIC.

    Thanks, Helmut


  8. Re: sensors, high CPU, iic, ichiic, custom kernel

    On Jun 28, 10:12 am, "Helmut Schneider" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to compile a custom kernel to disable iic and ichiic because it
    > slows down the system (IBM x300/5).
    > I know how to disable them via UKC but how do I disable them in the GENERIC
    > file? Simply comment out anything with iic/ichiic or is there some kind of
    > "disable iic" like in UKC?
    >
    > Thanks, Helmut


    you can add disabled after the device entry in the config file.


+ Reply to Thread