UPS recommendations for OpenBSD/NUT - BSD

This is a discussion on UPS recommendations for OpenBSD/NUT - BSD ; My edge box (OBSD 4.0, soon to be 4.1) has been running on power supplied by one of those cheapo "conditioning" powerbars for a few years. Last night, the powerbar gave up the ghost. I've been thinking of getting a ...

  1. UPS recommendations for OpenBSD/NUT

    My edge box (OBSD 4.0, soon to be 4.1) has been running on power
    supplied by one of those cheapo "conditioning" powerbars for a few
    years. Last night, the powerbar gave up the ghost.

    I've been thinking of getting a small UPS for some time -- the power
    quality in Southwest Ontario has gone from bad to worse over the years,
    and we get brownouts all the time (which my boxes don't seem to notice),
    and actually 1-2 sec complete outages 1-2 times a week. I know I'm
    playing with fire with all the unclean shutdowns.

    I'd like to get a smaller unit that has a serial connection and works
    with NUT (or whatever) so I can shutdown cleanly on any outage that
    lasts over a few minutes.

    It just has to handle two small headless computers (one is a mini-ITX
    box that sips power) for now, with one of those going away RSN since my
    new box has the grunt to do everything.

    Any recommendations? It is easy for me to get my hands on APC and
    Tripp-Lite stuff, but it is unclear from the NUT UPS compatibility page
    if the models I'm looking at will actually work.
    --
    clvrmnky

    Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    contact me directly.

  2. Re: UPS recommendations for OpenBSD/NUT

    "Clever Monkey" wrote in message
    news:Ttugi.15311$13.12653@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uu net.ca...
    > My edge box (OBSD 4.0, soon to be 4.1) has been running on power
    > supplied by one of those cheapo "conditioning" powerbars for a few
    > years. Last night, the powerbar gave up the ghost.
    >
    > I've been thinking of getting a small UPS for some time -- the power
    > quality in Southwest Ontario has gone from bad to worse over the
    > years, and we get brownouts all the time (which my boxes don't seem to
    > notice), and actually 1-2 sec complete outages 1-2 times a week. I
    > know I'm playing with fire with all the unclean shutdowns.
    >
    > I'd like to get a smaller unit that has a serial connection and works
    > with NUT (or whatever) so I can shutdown cleanly on any outage that
    > lasts over a few minutes.
    >
    > It just has to handle two small headless computers (one is a mini-ITX
    > box that sips power) for now, with one of those going away RSN since
    > my new box has the grunt to do everything.
    >
    > Any recommendations? It is easy for me to get my hands on APC and
    > Tripp-Lite stuff, but it is unclear from the NUT UPS compatibility
    > page if the models I'm looking at will actually work.

    At home here I have an APC BackUPS 650 Pro, which plays nicely [1] with
    nut - the "smarts" include monitoring of voltage, load, frequency etc
    etc - as well as the essential "running on battery" and "battery low"
    signals that the non-smart versions provide. I'd recommend the smart
    stuff - it gives a far greater insight into what's going on.

    [1] Actually, it would be more honest to say that my UPS *should* play
    nicely with nut. It seems it needs recalibrating - on a brownout it goes
    instantly to "on battery" *and* "low battery", resulting in the server
    shutting down cleanly, which is nice - except that by then the power is
    back on. Gah. I've been through the so-called calibration procedure, but
    the issue persists. I'm on my third battery in about 7 years, and it
    seems it's the battery replacement process that required the unit to be
    recalibrated... On my list of things to sort out "one of these days"...
    I'm sure it's fixable.

    Meanwhile, at work, I've just ordered a beast of a UPS: a 3000VA APC
    model with two auxiliary battery packs which we again expect to work
    with nut. If you're not sure which models are supported by nut, take a
    look at /usr/local/share/ups/driver.list - should help. Note that it's
    important to use the correct cable - there are several types. APC models
    are well supported. And a 650VA smart model might suit you well. If you
    need help configuring nut, yell.

    HTH,

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  3. Re: UPS recommendations for OpenBSD/NUT

    According to Clever Monkey :

    [ ... ]

    > I've been thinking of getting a small UPS for some time -- the power
    > quality in Southwest Ontario has gone from bad to worse over the years,
    > and we get brownouts all the time (which my boxes don't seem to notice),
    > and actually 1-2 sec complete outages 1-2 times a week. I know I'm
    > playing with fire with all the unclean shutdowns.
    >
    > I'd like to get a smaller unit that has a serial connection and works
    > with NUT (or whatever) so I can shutdown cleanly on any outage that
    > lasts over a few minutes.

    [ ... ]

    > Any recommendations? It is easy for me to get my hands on APC and
    > Tripp-Lite stuff, but it is unclear from the NUT UPS compatibility page
    > if the models I'm looking at will actually work.

    Well -- what *I* really like are the ones which used to be
    made by BEST. Incoming AC through a Sola type constant voltage
    transformer (and a charging circuit which will keep the batteries up
    full), and on a power outage, the thing switches over to an inverter
    driving the CV transformer directly through other windings. It keeps a
    pretty clean sine wave (compared to a lot of switching inverters), and
    has excellent monitoring and control features. There is a companion
    program (supplied in source format) called "checkups".

    With checkups is a script to shut down the computer, and you can
    tailor it to how long before battery empty status it will start the
    shutdown procedure. So -- the script can shut the other systems down,
    then shut itself down, and the UPS will go to standby to preserve some
    battery life by limiting deep cycle discharges. When power returns, it
    will all come back to life.

    The only negative is that a CV transformer is somewhat
    inefficient, so you get more heat in the computer room -- but you get
    protected from brownouts and those annoying short outages. (Our short
    outages seem to be related to trees blowing into the power distribution
    lines, and tripping a breaker at the substation -- and it comes back on
    in about three to five seconds.

    Unfortunately, BEST got bought by someone else some time ago, so
    you are limited to what you can find at hamfests, on eBay and other used
    sources.

    Mine is a 2KVA unit running from four heavy 12V gel cells, and
    they seem to hold out for about five to six years before I need to
    replace them -- and you replace all at the same time with matched
    batteries, or you are asking for trouble

    There are smaller BEST units, of course.

    Best of luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564