bios disassembly tools - BSD

This is a discussion on bios disassembly tools - BSD ; Are there any tools recommended for disassembling the bios while OpenBSD is running? Thanks, Dave Feustel -- Don't Worry. Be Happy....

  1. bios disassembly tools

    --
    Don't Worry. Be Happy.

  2. Re: bios disassembly tools

    dave wrote:
    > Are there any tools recommended for disassembling the bios
    > while OpenBSD is running?

    I may be mistaken, but I'd assume OpenBSD does not allow direct access
    to the BIOS (unless maybe when running in securelevel 0).

    Joachim

  3. Re: bios disassembly tools

    Joachim Schipper wrote:
    > dave wrote:

    I thought that the bios memory could be read by root via /dev/mem to a file and
    then disassembled from there, but I may not properly understand how /dev/mem
    works. I am getting interested in figuring out why the second brooktree card in
    my system is configured as bktr0 (and thus is unusable). I have found a card
    (http://store.bluecherry.net/16_port_...8_p/pv-155.htm)
    with 4 bt878 chips (16 Brooktree ports) on it that may enable viewing 4 tv camera images
    simultaneously and all 16 ports via multiplexing. I could use that capability :-).

    >> Are there any tools recommended for disassembling the bios
    >> while OpenBSD is running?

    > I may be mistaken, but I'd assume OpenBSD does not allow direct access
    > to the BIOS (unless maybe when running in securelevel 0).
    >
    > Joachim

    I thought that the bios memory could be read by root via /dev/mem to a file and
    then disassembled from there, but I may not properly understand how /dev/mem
    works. I am getting interested in figuring out why the second brooktree card in
    my system is configured as bktr0 (and thus is unusable). I have found a pci card
    (http://store.bluecherry.net/16_port_...8_p/pv-155.htm)
    with 4 bt878 chips (16 Brooktree ports) on it that may enable viewing 4 tv camera images
    simultaneously and all 16 ports via multiplexing. I could use that capability :-).

    Dave Feustel
    --
    Don't Worry. Be Happy.

+ Reply to Thread