List of installed software packages: pkg_info? - BSD

This is a discussion on List of installed software packages: pkg_info? - BSD ; I installed OpenBSD 4.1 and did not select any "X"-related tgz-files. When the system was installed, I added two packages with pkg_add. When I use pkg_info, only those two packages are shown. The man page shows the -A option: Show ...

  1. List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    I installed OpenBSD 4.1 and did not select any "X"-related tgz-files. When
    the system was installed, I added two packages with pkg_add. When I use
    pkg_info, only those two packages are shown. The man page shows the -A
    option:
    Show information for all currently installed packages, including internal
    packages.Using this option does not produce more data. Setting PKG_DBDIR to
    /var/db/pkg does not help either. This directory is empty.How do I get an
    inventory of the installed software?Siem Korteweg

  2. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    Siem Korteweg wrote:
    > I installed OpenBSD 4.1 and did not select any "X"-related tgz-files. When
    > the system was installed, I added two packages with pkg_add. When I use
    > pkg_info, only those two packages are shown. The man page shows the -A
    > option:
    > Show information for all currently installed packages, including internal
    > packages.Using this option does not produce more data. Setting PKG_DBDIR to
    > /var/db/pkg does not help either. This directory is empty.How do I get an
    > inventory of the installed software?Siem Korteweg

    pkg_info does not show installation sets. As you see, it shows your
    installed packages.

    That is, the install sets you see on install are not the same as packages.

    There may be a way to find out this information, but I don't think
    pkg_info is it.
    --
    clvrmnky

    Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    contact me directly.

  3. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    Siem Korteweg wrote:

    > I installed OpenBSD 4.1 and did not select any "X"-related tgz-files. When
    > the system was installed, I added two packages with pkg_add. When I use
    > pkg_info, only those two packages are shown. The man page shows the -A
    > option:
    > Show information for all currently installed packages, including internal
    > packages.Using this option does not produce more data. Setting PKG_DBDIR
    > to /var/db/pkg does not help either. This directory is empty.How do I
    > get an inventory of the installed software?Siem Korteweg

    Which installed software do you expect to see? You might want to read
    http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd...bsd4linux3.php

    HTH, Helmut

  4. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    Helmut,
    "Helmut Schneider" schreef in bericht
    > Siem Korteweg wrote:
    >
    >> I installed OpenBSD 4.1 and did not select any "X"-related tgz-files.
    >> When the system was installed, I added two packages with pkg_add. When I
    >> use pkg_info, only those two packages are shown. The man page shows
    >> the -A option:
    >> Show information for all currently installed packages, including internal
    >> packages.Using this option does not produce more data. Setting PKG_DBDIR
    >> to /var/db/pkg does not help either. This directory is empty.How do I
    >> get an inventory of the installed software?Siem Korteweg

    > Which installed software do you expect to see? You might want to read
    > http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd...bsd4linux3.php
    >
    > HTH, Helmut

    Thank you, the above page clarified the notion of the base system.

    Part of the base system is apache. Calling 'apachectl status' indicates that
    version 1.3.29 of apache is running. 'telnet localhost 25' reveals that
    sendmail 8.14.0 is running. That is the kind of data I want to see. Is there
    a way to obtain this information or is it in the manifest/release notes of
    each OpenBSD release?

    Siem Korteweg

  5. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    Siem Korteweg wrote:

    > Helmut,
    > "Helmut Schneider" schreef in bericht
    >> Siem Korteweg wrote:
    >>> I installed OpenBSD 4.1 and did not select any "X"-related tgz-files.
    >>> When the system was installed, I added two packages with pkg_add.
    >>> When I use pkg_info, only those two packages are shown. The man
    >>> page shows the -A option:
    >>> Show information for all currently installed packages, including
    >>> internal packages.Using this option does not produce more data.
    >>> Setting PKG_DBDIR to /var/db/pkg does not help either. This
    >>> directory is empty.How do I get an inventory of the installed
    >>> software?Siem Korteweg

    >> Which installed software do you expect to see? You might want to read
    >> http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd...bsd4linux3.php

    > Thank you, the above page clarified the notion of the base system.
    > Part of the base system is apache. Calling 'apachectl status' indicates
    > that version 1.3.29 of apache is running. 'telnet localhost 25' reveals
    > that sendmail 8.14.0 is running. That is the kind of data I want to
    > see. Is there a way to obtain this information or is it in the
    > manifest/release notes of each OpenBSD release?

    release notes: http://www.openbsd.org/41.html#new

  6. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    "Clever Monkey" schreef in bericht
    news:5Teei.14257$13.794@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uune t.ca...
    > Siem Korteweg wrote:
    >> I installed OpenBSD 4.1 and did not select any "X"-related tgz-files.
    >> When the system was installed, I added two packages with pkg_add. When I
    >> use pkg_info, only those two packages are shown. The man page shows
    >> the -A option:
    >> Show information for all currently installed packages, including
    >> internal packages.Using this option does not produce more data. Setting
    >> PKG_DBDIR to /var/db/pkg does not help either. This directory is
    >> empty.How do I get an inventory of the installed software?Siem Korteweg

    > pkg_info does not show installation sets. As you see, it shows your
    > installed packages.
    >
    > That is, the install sets you see on install are not the same as packages.
    >
    > There may be a way to find out this information, but I don't think
    > pkg_info is it.
    > --
    > clvrmnky

    You are right. I want to know the versions of the software in the install
    sets.

    Siem Korteweg

  7. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:16:52 +0200, Siem Korteweg wrote:

    > Part of the base system is apache. Calling 'apachectl status' indicates
    > that version 1.3.29 of apache is running. 'telnet localhost 25' reveals
    > that sendmail 8.14.0 is running. That is the kind of data I want to see.
    > Is there a way to obtain this information or is it in the manifest/release
    > notes of each OpenBSD release?

    The package list is in the obvious place. For example:

    ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386

    shows the packages, with versions, for i386. Or go to

    ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/

    and pick your architecture.

  8. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    msm wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:16:52 +0200, Siem Korteweg wrote:
    >> Part of the base system is apache. Calling 'apachectl status' indicates
    >> that version 1.3.29 of apache is running. 'telnet localhost 25' reveals
    >> that sendmail 8.14.0 is running. That is the kind of data I want to see.
    >> Is there a way to obtain this information or is it in the
    >> manifest/release notes of each OpenBSD release?

    > The package list is in the obvious place. For example:
    > ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386
    > shows the packages, with versions, for i386. Or go to
    > ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/
    > and pick your architecture.

    Show us sendmail or apache in this lists.

    --
    Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well

  9. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    Siem Korteweg wrote:
    > Helmut,
    > "Helmut Schneider" schreef in bericht
    >> Siem Korteweg wrote:
    >>> How do I get an inventory of the installed software [in the base
    >>> system]?

    > Part of the base system is apache. Calling 'apachectl status'
    > indicates that version 1.3.29 of apache is running. 'telnet localhost
    > 25' reveals that sendmail 8.14.0 is running. That is the kind of data
    > I want to see. Is there a way to obtain this information or is it in
    > the manifest/release notes of each OpenBSD release?

    Did you, perchance, try the release notes?

    http://www.openbsd.org/41.html

    Look at the bottom.

    Joachim

  10. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    Joachim,
    "Joachim Schipper" schreef
    in bericht news:467adc5c$0$31869$dbd43001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > Siem Korteweg wrote:
    >> Helmut,
    >> "Helmut Schneider" schreef in bericht

    >> Part of the base system is apache. Calling 'apachectl status'
    >> indicates that version 1.3.29 of apache is running. 'telnet localhost
    >> 25' reveals that sendmail 8.14.0 is running. That is the kind of data
    >> I want to see. Is there a way to obtain this information or is it in
    >> the manifest/release notes of each OpenBSD release?

    > Did you, perchance, try the release notes?
    >
    > http://www.openbsd.org/41.html
    >
    > Look at the bottom.

    I did have a look at the bottom and found the versions of the products.
    What I "really" wanted is a programmatic way of determining the software
    inventory of a system. I am working on System Configuration Collector,
    an open source product that collects configuration data from Unix/Linux/BSD
    systems and adds detected changes to a logbook. That is why I was
    looking at the output of pkg_info.
    Guess that I should have mentioned that in the first place

    An example of the collected data for OpenBSD can found at:
    http://www.openeyet.nl/scc/examples/scc.openbsd41.html

    I am rather new to OpenBSD and was unfamiliar with the notion of the
    base system. As far as I understand it, the base system is a tightly
    integrated
    bundle of software (both OS and some middleware). Do security upgrades
    for OpenBSD upgrade separate programs to higher versions? Is sendmail
    version 8.14.0 the only possible version for all systems with OpenBSD 4.1?
    If that is the case, registrating the OpenBSD version would imply the
    contents
    of the software inventory.

    Siem Korteweg

  11. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    Siem Korteweg wrote:
    > I did have a look at the bottom [of the release notes] and found the
    > versions of the products. What I "really" wanted is a programmatic
    > way of determining the software inventory of a system. I am working on
    > System Configuration Collector, an open source product that collects
    > configuration data from Unix/Linux/BSD systems and adds detected
    > changes to a logbook. That is why I was looking at the output of
    > pkg_info.
    > An example of the collected data for OpenBSD can found at:
    > http://www.openeyet.nl/scc/examples/scc.openbsd41.html
    >
    > I am rather new to OpenBSD and was unfamiliar with the notion of the
    > base system. As far as I understand it, the base system is a tightly
    > integrated bundle of software (both OS and some middleware).

    It depends on what you call 'middleware', but yes.

    > Do
    > security upgrades for OpenBSD upgrade separate programs to higher
    > versions? Is sendmail version 8.14.0 the only possible version for all
    > systems with OpenBSD 4.1?

    A quick summary of the branches in the OpenBSD repository:
    informal name description
    -current is where development happens
    -stable the last release with several fixes and updates
    -patch the last release with critical fixes
    -release the last release
    4.0-stable,-patch,-release
    idem, for the release before the last one

    A serious security problem would cause a fix (either an upgrade, or,
    more likely, a patch) to be committed to -current, and possibly a few
    days later a patch to be committed to -stable. A patch against -release
    would also be made available, to update a -patch machine.

    Except possibly in -current, this would not generally cause the version
    numbers to increase.

    You can, however, look at sysctl kern.version, which includes the date
    on which the kernel was built. Since people running -current and -stable
    will almost always build a complete new system when updating, this would
    allow you to at least detect changes. This scheme would fall flat for
    -patch, though; the patches almost always contain instructions on what
    to rebuild (see undeadly.org for examples), which means that a -patch
    system might well have a httpd that was built at a later date than the
    kernel.

    While kern.version is obviously the place to be to check for kernel
    changes, for the rest it might be a better idea to integrate with
    /etc/security, which stores dates and checksums of important things (and
    sends nightly mail on changes). Or not; I have no idea on how much work
    that'd entail.

    On a semi-related note, I'd find your software tremendously more useful
    if it could be told not to show configuration files that have not been
    modified from the default; the listing you have now is extremely verbose
    and far less informative than it could be. (Exactly how to implement
    this is another question; including checksums is easy, but
    time-consuming.)

    > If that is the case, registrating the
    > OpenBSD version would imply the contents of the software inventory.

    I am afraid I do not understand this sentence.

    Joachim

  12. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    >> Do
    >> security upgrades for OpenBSD upgrade separate programs to higher
    >> versions? Is sendmail version 8.14.0 the only possible version for
    >> all
    >> systems with OpenBSD 4.1?

    > A quick summary of the branches in the OpenBSD repository:
    > informal name description
    > -current is where development happens
    > -stable the last release with several fixes and updates
    > -patch the last release with critical fixes
    > -release the last release
    > 4.0-stable,-patch,-release
    > idem, for the release before the last one
    >
    > A serious security problem would cause a fix (either an upgrade, or,
    > more likely, a patch) to be committed to -current, and possibly a
    > few
    > days later a patch to be committed to -stable. A patch
    > against -release
    > would also be made available, to update a -patch machine.
    >
    > Except possibly in -current, this would not generally cause the
    > version
    > numbers to increase.
    >
    > You can, however, look at sysctl kern.version, which includes the
    > date
    > on which the kernel was built. Since people running -current
    > and -stable
    > will almost always build a complete new system when updating, this
    > would
    > allow you to at least detect changes. This scheme would fall flat
    > for
    > -patch, though; the patches almost always contain instructions on
    > what
    > to rebuild (see undeadly.org for examples), which means that
    > a -patch
    > system might well have a httpd that was built at a later date than
    > the
    > kernel.
    >
    > While kern.version is obviously the place to be to check for kernel
    > changes, for the rest it might be a better idea to integrate with
    > /etc/security, which stores dates and checksums of important things
    > (and
    > sends nightly mail on changes). Or not; I have no idea on how much
    > work
    > that'd entail.
    >
    > On a semi-related note, I'd find your software tremendously more
    > useful
    > if it could be told not to show configuration files that have not
    > been
    > modified from the default; the listing you have now is extremely
    > verbose
    > and far less informative than it could be. (Exactly how to implement
    > this is another question; including checksums is easy, but
    > time-consuming.)

    Did you have a look at the logbook?
    http://www.openeyet.nl/scc/examples/...bsd41.log.html
    It shows only the changes that have been recorded during all runs. It
    only shows the lines that actually changed.
    Wading through such a snapshot is not my favorite passtime. Snapshots
    are sent to a server where they can be searched and compared.

    >> If that is the case, registrating the
    >> OpenBSD version would imply the contents of the software inventory.

    > I am afraid I do not understand this sentence.

    From the release notes I know that all OpenBSD 4.1 systems start with:
    - sendmail 8.14.0
    - apache 1.3.29
    - xxxx a.b.c
    and so on. The names and versions of these products are what I meant
    with the contents of the software inventory. Rephrasing the sentence:

    When it is impossible to increase the version of any of these products
    without upgrading to 4.2, registration of release 4.1 in the snapshot
    would be sufficient to deduce the versions of all of these products.

    Siem Korteweg

  13. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    Siem Korteweg wrote:
    > "Joachim Schipper" schreef in bericht
    >>> Do
    >>> security upgrades for OpenBSD upgrade separate programs to higher
    >>> versions? Is sendmail version 8.14.0 the only possible version for
    >>> all
    >>> systems with OpenBSD 4.1?

    >> On a semi-related note, I'd find your software tremendously more
    >> useful if it could be told not to show configuration files that have
    >> not been modified from the default; the listing you have now is
    >> extremely verbose and far less informative than it could be. (Exactly
    >> how to implement this is another question; including checksums is
    >> easy, but time-consuming.)

    > Did you have a look at the logbook?
    > http://www.openeyet.nl/scc/examples/...bsd41.log.html

    Well, evidently not. Sorry!

    > It shows only the changes that have been recorded during all runs. It
    > only shows the lines that actually changed.
    > Wading through such a snapshot is not my favorite passtime. Snapshots
    > are sent to a server where they can be searched and compared.

    That sounds like a sensible idea - that will take quite a bit of work.

    >>> If that is the case, registrating the
    >>> OpenBSD version would imply the contents of the software inventory.

    >> I am afraid I do not understand this sentence.

    > From the release notes I know that all OpenBSD 4.1 systems start with:
    > - sendmail 8.14.0
    > - apache 1.3.29
    > - xxxx a.b.c
    > and so on. The names and versions of these products are what I meant
    > with the contents of the software inventory. Rephrasing the sentence:
    >
    > When it is impossible to increase the version of any of these products
    > without upgrading to 4.2, registration of release 4.1 in the snapshot
    > would be sufficient to deduce the versions of all of these products.

    Not entirely, ISTR a new OpenSSH version getting imported into -stable
    once.

    Also, it depends on what you call 'version'. A sendmail that is not
    vulnerable to a remote root hole is meaningfully different from the same
    version of sendmail with an unpatched vulnerability allowing anyone to
    take over the box.

    Ideally, you'd capture kern.version (-stable, -current, and finding out
    what version it's running) and a patchlevel, but the latter is almost
    impossible to figure out (write an auto-patching script and update
    /etc/patchlevel?)

    Joachim

  14. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    > Siem Korteweg wrote:
    >> "Joachim Schipper" schreef in
    >> bericht
    >>> On a semi-related note, I'd find your software tremendously more
    >>> useful if it could be told not to show configuration files that
    >>> have
    >>> not been modified from the default; the listing you have now is
    >>> extremely verbose and far less informative than it could be.
    >>> (Exactly
    >>> how to implement this is another question; including checksums is
    >>> easy, but time-consuming.)

    >> Did you have a look at the logbook?
    >> http://www.openeyet.nl/scc/examples/...bsd41.log.html

    > Well, evidently not. Sorry!
    >
    >> It shows only the changes that have been recorded during all runs.
    >> It
    >> only shows the lines that actually changed.
    >> Wading through such a snapshot is not my favorite passtime.
    >> Snapshots
    >> are sent to a server where they can be searched and compared.

    > That sounds like a sensible idea - that will take quite a bit of
    > work.

    The server part already has been implemented:
    http://www.openeyet.nl/scc/download.html

    >>> I am afraid I do not understand this sentence.

    >> From the release notes I know that all OpenBSD 4.1 systems start
    >> with:
    >> - sendmail 8.14.0
    >> - apache 1.3.29
    >> - xxxx a.b.c
    >> and so on. The names and versions of these products are what I
    >> meant
    >> with the contents of the software inventory. Rephrasing the
    >> sentence:
    >>
    >> When it is impossible to increase the version of any of these
    >> products
    >> without upgrading to 4.2, registration of release 4.1 in the
    >> snapshot
    >> would be sufficient to deduce the versions of all of these
    >> products.

    > Not entirely, ISTR a new OpenSSH version getting imported
    > into -stable
    > once.
    >
    > Also, it depends on what you call 'version'. A sendmail that is not
    > vulnerable to a remote root hole is meaningfully different from the
    > same
    > version of sendmail with an unpatched vulnerability allowing anyone
    > take over the box.
    >
    > Ideally, you'd capture kern.version (-stable, -current, and finding
    > out
    > what version it's running) and a patchlevel, but the latter is
    > almost
    > impossible to figure out (write an auto-patching script and update
    > /etc/patchlevel?)

    In the snapshot the kern.version data is already at the bottom of the
    menu: kernel -> sysctl
    kern.version=OpenBSD 4.1 (GENERIC) #1435: Sat Mar 10 19:07:45 MST
    2007I guess that recording the versions of the base system is not
    feasable.Siem Korteweg

  15. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    "Siem Korteweg" writes:

    > I guess that recording the versions of the base system is not
    > feasable.Siem Korteweg

    $ for f in /bin/*; do do ident $f; done

    Repeat for /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec. You now have
    the versions of the software

    $ ls -l /usr/lib | grep so

    That gives you the versions of the shared libs.

    // marc

  16. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    "Marco S Hyman" schreef in bericht
    > "Siem Korteweg" writes:
    >
    >> I guess that recording the versions of the base system is not
    >> feasable.Siem Korteweg

    > $ for f in /bin/*; do do ident $f; done
    >
    > Repeat for /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec. You now have
    > the versions of the software
    >
    > $ ls -l /usr/lib | grep so
    >
    > That gives you the versions of the shared libs.
    >
    > // marc

  17. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    "Marco S Hyman" schreef in bericht
    > "Siem Korteweg" writes:
    >
    >> I guess that recording the versions of the base system is not
    >> feasable.Siem Korteweg

    > $ for f in /bin/*; do do ident $f; done
    >
    > Repeat for /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec. You now have
    > the versions of the software

    Thanks for this hint, I will add this to my code. It allows detailled
    comparing of the configuration of systems.

    > $ ls -l /usr/lib | grep so
    >
    > That gives you the versions of the shared libs.

    I noticed that my current code used an option for ldconfig that is
    unknown for OpenBSD. I will correct this and then ldconfig results in
    the same data as ls /usr/lib | grep so

    Siem Korteweg

  18. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    In article <467c0b7b$0$333$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    Siem Korteweg wrote:

    >I did have a look at the bottom and found the versions of the products.
    >What I "really" wanted is a programmatic way of determining the software
    >inventory of a system. I am working on System Configuration Collector,
    >an open source product that collects configuration data from Unix/Linux/BSD
    >systems and adds detected changes to a logbook. That is why I was
    >looking at the output of pkg_info.
    >Guess that I should have mentioned that in the first place

    What you're doing is not going to be really meaningful for OpenBSD.
    Most time something changes in the base system, no version numbers are
    updated. Your apache still says 1.3.29, but it's an heavily patched apache.

    This is a typical issue: how do you define software version number ? you've
    got the original source, then local patches, then possible interactions with
    whatever else is installed on the machine... as far as external packages are
    concerned, OpenBSD does a fairly good job of keeping track of stuff (we have
    to, if nothing else, to be able to determine when to update), but nothing
    similar exists for the base system.

    For instance, if you *really* want to know what's the version of one of your
    packages, you want to ask for its signature, which does record most things
    needed to `recreate' the same package.

    Other systems, like NetBSD, go even further in that respect (too far ?) and
    actually record a full list of all ports files used to build a given package
    (haven't checked if they actually record recursive dependencies).

  19. Re: List of installed software packages: pkg_info?

    "Marc Espie" schreef in bericht
    > In article <467c0b7b$0$333$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > Siem Korteweg wrote:
    >>
    >>I did have a look at the bottom and found the versions of the
    >>products.
    >>What I "really" wanted is a programmatic way of determining the
    >>software
    >>inventory of a system. I am working on System Configuration
    >>Collector,
    >>an open source product that collects configuration data from
    >>Unix/Linux/BSD
    >>systems and adds detected changes to a logbook. That is why I was
    >>looking at the output of pkg_info.
    >>Guess that I should have mentioned that in the first place

    > What you're doing is not going to be really meaningful for OpenBSD.
    > Most time something changes in the base system, no version numbers
    > are
    > updated. Your apache still says 1.3.29, but it's an heavily patched
    > apache.
    >
    > This is a typical issue: how do you define software version number ?
    > you've
    > got the original source, then local patches, then possible
    > interactions with
    > whatever else is installed on the machine... as far as external
    > packages are
    > concerned, OpenBSD does a fairly good job of keeping track of stuff
    > (we have
    > to, if nothing else, to be able to determine when to update), but
    > nothing
    > similar exists for the base system.
    >
    > For instance, if you *really* want to know what's the version of one
    > of your
    > packages, you want to ask for its signature, which does record most
    > things
    > needed to `recreate' the same package.
    >
    > Other systems, like NetBSD, go even further in that respect (too far
    > ?) and
    > actually record a full list of all ports files used to build a given
    > package
    > (haven't checked if they actually record recursive dependencies).

    As Marco Hyman suggested I will use ident for all programs in /sbin,
    /bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/bin
    This will give me the "signature" for each program.

    Siem Korteweg

+ Reply to Thread