Changing console Term type to xterm - BSD

This is a discussion on Changing console Term type to xterm - BSD ; Is there any downside to changing the terminal type of the consoles listed in /etc/ttys from vt220 to xterm? Thanks, Dave Feustel -- http://www.ussliberty.org http://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/20...e-uss-liberty/ http://cryptome.org/nsa-liberty.htm...

  1. Changing console Term type to xterm

    --
    http://www.ussliberty.org
    http://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/20...e-uss-liberty/
    http://cryptome.org/nsa-liberty.htm

  2. Re: Changing console Term type to xterm

    dave wrote:
    > Is there any downside to changing the terminal type of the consoles
    > listed in /etc/ttys from vt220 to xterm?

    They aren't xterms, and I'm pretty sure something will break at some
    point.

    If you want to have the same terminal driver everywhere, you might try
    tryjust running screen everywhere, but the whole notion of 'the same
    terminal driver everywhere' is not a particularly good idea. Just write
    sane code.

    Joachim

  3. Re: Changing console Term type to xterm

    Joachim Schipper wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    >> Is there any downside to changing the terminal type of the consoles
    >> listed in /etc/ttys from vt220 to xterm?

    > They aren't xterms, and I'm pretty sure something will break at some
    > point.

    I was thinking only of the console terminals selected by pressing the
    keys since the xterm emulator appears to be built in to OpenBSD.

    --
    http://www.ussliberty.org
    http://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/20...e-uss-liberty/
    http://cryptome.org/nsa-liberty.htm

  4. Re: Changing console Term type to xterm

    dave wrote:
    > Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >> dave wrote:
    >>> Is there any downside to changing the terminal type of the consoles
    >>> listed in /etc/ttys from vt220 to xterm?

    >> They aren't xterms, and I'm pretty sure something will break at some
    >> point.

    > I was thinking only of the console terminals selected by pressing the
    > keys since the xterm emulator appears to be built
    > in to OpenBSD.

    Huh? I said that telling the system to treat the consoles (i.e. 'the
    console terminals selected by pressing the keys')
    like xterms is likely to result in problems, as the consoles are, in
    fact, not xterms.

    I don't really see what you try to say. Also, my comments below stand
    (with one typo corrected).

    Joachim

    >> If you want to have the same terminal driver everywhere, you might
    >> try just running screen everywhere, but the whole notion of 'the same
    >> terminal driver everywhere' is not a particularly good idea. Just
    >> write sane code.

+ Reply to Thread