newbie page-scroll question - BSD

This is a discussion on newbie page-scroll question - BSD ; Hi OpenBSD Group, Today I decided to try OpenBSD first time in my life, so please excuse my very newbie question. I promise I have no intention to flood you with these. I come with a strong, multiple years FreeBSD ...

  1. newbie page-scroll question

    Hi OpenBSD Group,

    Today I decided to try OpenBSD first time in my life, so please excuse my
    very newbie question. I promise I have no intention to flood you with
    these. I come with a strong, multiple years FreeBSD background so I am not
    new to unix, BSD, newsgroup usage giudelines and the rest in general. I
    also tend to RTFM, docs, faq, etc, so feel free to point me to the right
    place instead of giving me a detailed explanation to my questions.

    The first thing I wanted to see is how much of my hardware OpenBSD detects
    and handles correctly, as I am having some annoying problems under
    FreeBSD lately. I burnt the cd41.iso of i386 and tried booting from it.
    I nicely got to the point where I am requested to pick Shell, Update or
    Install, but the initial hardware detection screen messages run too fast
    to be able to read and memorize them.
    I would like to scroll back and read what was printed to the screen, but I
    found no obvious way to do that (obvious for me, I mean). Under FreeBSD I
    can press scroll-lock and then use pgup & pgdn to turn screens back and
    forth. I also remember that Linux allows the user to press and hold SHIFT,
    during which the up & down cursor arrows scroll upwards and downwards.
    Neither of these worked with the OpenBSD boot CD, and the INSTALL.i386
    text didn't mention a solution either.
    So what is the trick? :-)

    Those screen outputs I talked about were all printed with white text on
    blue background, while the main screen background stayed black. Is this
    the normal way on OpenBSD? Or is something not OK on my system?

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    Keve Nagy * Debrecen * HUNGARY
    if you need to reply directly:

  2. Re: newbie page-scroll question

    > The first thing I wanted to see is how much of my hardware OpenBSD
    > detects and handles correctly, as I am having some annoying problems
    > under FreeBSD lately. I burnt the cd41.iso of i386 and tried booting
    > from it.
    > I nicely got to the point where I am requested to pick Shell, Update or
    > Install, but the initial hardware detection screen messages run too fast
    > to be able to read and memorize them.
    > I would like to scroll back and read what was printed to the screen, but
    > I found no obvious way to do that (obvious for me, I mean). Under
    > FreeBSD I can press scroll-lock and then use pgup & pgdn to turn screens
    > back and forth. I also remember that Linux allows the user to press and
    > hold SHIFT, during which the up & down cursor arrows scroll upwards and
    > downwards. Neither of these worked with the OpenBSD boot CD, and the
    > INSTALL.i386 text didn't mention a solution either.
    > So what is the trick? :-)

    Dropping to the shell and issuing dmesg|less solved my problem.
    Cool.
    I didn't expect dmesg to work at this stage. Actually, I didn't expect
    "less" to work either. But they both did!
    Cool.

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    Keve Nagy * Debrecen * HUNGARY
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  3. Re: newbie page-scroll question

    In article <5cdne0F300up3U1@mid.individual.net>,
    Keve Nagy wrote:
    >> The first thing I wanted to see is how much of my hardware OpenBSD
    >> detects and handles correctly, as I am having some annoying problems
    >> under FreeBSD lately. I burnt the cd41.iso of i386 and tried booting
    >> from it.
    >> I nicely got to the point where I am requested to pick Shell, Update or
    >> Install, but the initial hardware detection screen messages run too fast
    >> to be able to read and memorize them.
    >> I would like to scroll back and read what was printed to the screen, but
    >> I found no obvious way to do that (obvious for me, I mean). Under
    >> FreeBSD I can press scroll-lock and then use pgup & pgdn to turn screens
    >> back and forth. I also remember that Linux allows the user to press and
    >> hold SHIFT, during which the up & down cursor arrows scroll upwards and
    >> downwards. Neither of these worked with the OpenBSD boot CD, and the
    >> INSTALL.i386 text didn't mention a solution either.
    >> So what is the trick? :-)

    >Dropping to the shell and issuing dmesg|less solved my problem.
    >Cool.
    >I didn't expect dmesg to work at this stage. Actually, I didn't expect
    >"less" to work either. But they both did!
    >Cool.

    Note that the boot cd kernel is `special': it probably won't recognize
    all your hardware, especially sound card and stuff like that.

    If you really don't want to install, you could boot from the normal kernel
    (bsd), see it panic, and have a look at the differences.

    Normally, scrollback should work with shift-pgup / shift-pgdown in many
    setups. As far as I remember, it doesn't work if your keyboard attaches
    through usb...

  4. Re: newbie page-scroll question

    Marc Espie wrote:

    > Note that the boot cd kernel is `special': it probably won't recognize
    > all your hardware, especially sound card and stuff like that.

    Noted.
    Although I have to admit that I was satisfied with what dmesg showed. It
    did find my soundcard, my 3in1 USB2.0+Firewire+SATA card, both the DVD
    reader and CDRW (one of which is not seen by FreeBSD 6.x but is seen by
    FreeBSD 4.11), so overall I am happy so far.

    > If you really don't want to install, you could boot from the normal kernel
    > (bsd), see it panic, and have a look at the differences.

    I am too newbie to OpenBSD to understand how to do that at the moment. But
    I am sure that I will learn this too soon if I decide to dig more into
    OpenBSD.

    > Normally, scrollback should work with shift-pgup / shift-pgdown in many
    > setups. As far as I remember, it doesn't work if your keyboard attaches
    > through usb...

    Ah, there is the key I would have never found by myself!
    I do have an "USB only" keyboard and mouse. In fact, I have an USB KVM in
    between the machine and the keyboard. So this (I mean the USB kbd) could
    be why I am unable to scroll back!
    Very useful info, thank you!
    I'll also try connecting a PS/2 kbd directly to the machine and see if
    that does the trick. Not that I need it (as dmesg|more helped me out) but
    just for the fun of it! :-)

    Best Regards,
    Keve

    --
    Keve Nagy * Debrecen * HUNGARY
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  5. Re: newbie page-scroll question

    Keve Nagy wrote:
    > Marc Espie wrote:
    >> Normally, scrollback should work with shift-pgup / shift-pgdown in many
    >> setups. As far as I remember, it doesn't work if your keyboard attaches
    >> through usb...

    > Ah, there is the key I would have never found by myself!
    > I do have an "USB only" keyboard and mouse. In fact, I have an USB KVM in
    > between the machine and the keyboard. So this (I mean the USB kbd) could
    > be why I am unable to scroll back!
    > Very useful info, thank you!
    > I'll also try connecting a PS/2 kbd directly to the machine and see if
    > that does the trick. Not that I need it (as dmesg|more helped me out) but
    > just for the fun of it! :-)

    There is only one real caveat for USB keyboards: the crash debugger,
    ddb(4), does not understand USB keyboards (or did not, but I do not
    recall that changing - I am sure Espie will correct me if I am wrong).
    Unless you have esoteric or broken hardware, or do kernel development,
    or run -current, this is unlikely to matter, though.

    Joachim

  6. Re: newbie page-scroll question

    Keve Nagy wrote:

    > Those screen outputs I talked about were all printed with white text on
    > blue background, while the main screen background stayed black. Is this
    > the normal way on OpenBSD? Or is something not OK on my system?

    Yes, white on blue for the boot messages is normal for OpenBSD.

    --
    Arthur.

  7. Re: newbie page-scroll question

    Keve Nagy wrote:
    > Hi OpenBSD Group,
    >
    > Today I decided to try OpenBSD first time in my life, so please excuse
    > my very newbie question. I promise I have no intention to flood you with
    > these. I come with a strong, multiple years FreeBSD background so I am
    > not new to unix, BSD, newsgroup usage giudelines and the rest in
    > general. I also tend to RTFM, docs, faq, etc, so feel free to point me
    > to the right place instead of giving me a detailed explanation to my
    > questions.
    >
    > The first thing I wanted to see is how much of my hardware OpenBSD
    > detects and handles correctly, as I am having some annoying problems
    > under FreeBSD lately. I burnt the cd41.iso of i386 and tried booting
    > from it.
    > I nicely got to the point where I am requested to pick Shell, Update or
    > Install, but the initial hardware detection screen messages run too fast
    > to be able to read and memorize them.
    > I would like to scroll back and read what was printed to the screen, but
    > I found no obvious way to do that (obvious for me, I mean). Under
    > FreeBSD I can press scroll-lock and then use pgup & pgdn to turn screens
    > back and forth. I also remember that Linux allows the user to press and
    > hold SHIFT, during which the up & down cursor arrows scroll upwards and
    > downwards. Neither of these worked with the OpenBSD boot CD, and the
    > INSTALL.i386 text didn't mention a solution either.
    > So what is the trick? :-)
    >
    > Those screen outputs I talked about were all printed with white text on
    > blue background, while the main screen background stayed black. Is this
    > the normal way on OpenBSD? Or is something not OK on my system?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Keve

    Just to confirm, I tried the scroll-lock Shift+arrows and shift+pgup/dn
    combinations with a PS/2 keyboard and no KVM. The scrolling didn't work.
    :-(

    Anyway, it is not an important issue any more. But it would have been nice
    to know.

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    Keve Nagy * Debrecen * HUNGARY
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  8. Re: newbie page-scroll question

    On Jun 2, 10:32 am, e...@lain.home (Marc Espie) wrote:
    > In article <5cdne0F300up...@mid.individual.net>,
    > Keve Nagy wrote:
    >

    > >> The first thing I wanted to see is how much of my hardware OpenBSD
    > >> detects and handles correctly, as I am having some annoying problems
    > >> under FreeBSD lately. I burnt the cd41.iso of i386 and tried booting
    > >> from it.
    > >> I nicely got to the point where I am requested to pick Shell, Update or
    > >> Install, but the initial hardware detection screen messages run too fast
    > >> to be able to read and memorize them.
    > >> I would like to scroll back and read what was printed to the screen, but
    > >> I found no obvious way to do that (obvious for me, I mean). Under
    > >> FreeBSD I can press scroll-lock and then use pgup & pgdn to turn screens
    > >> back and forth. I also remember that Linux allows the user to press and
    > >> hold SHIFT, during which the up & down cursor arrows scroll upwards and
    > >> downwards. Neither of these worked with the OpenBSD boot CD, and the
    > >> INSTALL.i386 text didn't mention a solution either.
    > >> So what is the trick? :-)

    > >Dropping to the shell and issuing dmesg|less solved my problem.
    > >Cool.
    > >I didn't expect dmesg to work at this stage. Actually, I didn't expect
    > >"less" to work either. But they both did!
    > >Cool.

    > Note that the boot cd kernel is `special': it probably won't recognize
    > all your hardware, especially sound card and stuff like that.
    >
    > If you really don't want to install, you could boot from the normal kernel
    > (bsd), see it panic, and have a look at the differences.
    >
    > Normally, scrollback should work with shift-pgup / shift-pgdown in many
    > setups. As far as I remember, it doesn't work if your keyboard attaches
    > through usb...

    it works with usb, but the bsd.rd kernel on the cd doesn't have
    scrollback support.

+ Reply to Thread