vic driver in OpenBSD 4.1 - BSD

This is a discussion on vic driver in OpenBSD 4.1 - BSD ; Quick question: has anyone had any success using the vic(4) driver in OpenBSD 4.1? I run a couple of different OpenBSD virtual servers on VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 and would love to be able to use the VMXnet driver instead ...

  1. vic driver in OpenBSD 4.1

    Quick question: has anyone had any success using the vic(4) driver in
    OpenBSD 4.1? I run a couple of different OpenBSD virtual servers on
    VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 and would love to be able to use the VMXnet
    driver instead of the older vlance driver. However, every time I edit
    the .vmx file to use VMXnet, it gets changed back. Anyone else have
    any success with editing the .vmx? If not, what other steps have you
    taken to change the virtual hardware?

    Regards,
    Scott

    --
    I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
    You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

  2. Re: vic driver in OpenBSD 4.1

    In news:nemoTue052907011041@alphaone.com,
    Scott typed:

    > Quick question: has anyone had any success using the vic(4) driver in
    > OpenBSD 4.1? I run a couple of different OpenBSD virtual servers on
    > VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 and would love to be able to use the VMXnet
    > driver instead of the older vlance driver.

    I tried vic(4) and I think it's not ready for production machines yet .
    It hangs VM sometimes.

    > However, every time I edit
    > the .vmx file to use VMXnet, it gets changed back. Anyone else have
    > any success with editing the .vmx? If not, what other steps have you
    > taken to change the virtual hardware?

    I use e1000 driver. Intel em(4). I had the same problem with vanishing
    of my changes and I found a solution. I wrote how to do this here:

    http://www.vmware.com/community/thre...588580&#588580

    ----------
    So this is what you have to do to change virtualDev to "vmxnet"

    1. Power off the VM
    2. Edit manually .vmx file
    3. Using Virt. Infr. Client connect directly to esx host . Not to Virt.
    Center service ! Log in as root to service console.
    4. Power on OpenBSD VM from there.
    5. Voila
    -----------

    --
    Regards
    Piotr Kapczuk

  3. Re: vic driver in OpenBSD 4.1

    In article
    "piotr::kapczuk" wrote:

    > In news:nemoTue052907011041@alphaone.com,
    > Scott typed:
    >
    >> Quick question: has anyone had any success using the vic(4) driver
    >> in OpenBSD 4.1? I run a couple of different OpenBSD virtual servers
    >> on VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 and would love to be able to use the
    >> VMXnet driver instead of the older vlance driver.

    > I tried vic(4) and I think it's not ready for production machines
    > yet .It hangs VM sometimes.
    >
    >> However, every time I edit
    >> the .vmx file to use VMXnet, it gets changed back. Anyone else
    >> have any success with editing the .vmx? If not, what other steps
    >> have you taken to change the virtual hardware?

    > I use e1000 driver. Intel em(4). I had the same problem with
    > vanishingof my changes and I found a solution. I wrote how to do this
    > here:
    >
    > http://www.vmware.com/community/thre...588580&#588580
    >
    > ----------
    > So this is what you have to do to change virtualDev to "vmxnet"
    >
    > 1. Power off the VM
    > 2. Edit manually .vmx file
    > 3. Using Virt. Infr. Client connect directly to esx host . Not to
    > Virt.Center service ! Log in as root to service console.
    > 4. Power on OpenBSD VM from there.
    > 5. Voila

    That approach worked perfectly. My OpenBSD VM is now running with the
    e1000 driver. Thanks!

    Scott

    --
    I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
    You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

+ Reply to Thread