pxe-booting openbsd live environment - BSD

This is a discussion on pxe-booting openbsd live environment - BSD ; Hi guys, Im trying to create a openbsd live environment for pxe booting. I could successfully pxe-boot bsd.rd (openbsd ramdisk kernel) using pxeboot. bsd.rd is nothing but bsd-kernel + ramdisk-filesystem. Openbsd build process first builds bsd, then mr.fs (ramdisk filesystem ...

  1. pxe-booting openbsd live environment

    Hi guys,
    Im trying to create a openbsd live environment for pxe booting.
    I could successfully pxe-boot bsd.rd (openbsd ramdisk kernel) using
    pxeboot.
    bsd.rd is nothing but bsd-kernel + ramdisk-filesystem.
    Openbsd build process first builds bsd, then mr.fs (ramdisk filesystem
    containing crunched binary) and then merges mr.fs into bsd to create
    bsd.rd.
    Now I want to customize bsd.rd (inject my application, libraries/
    modufy
    init scripts etc... into mr.fs)

    Is it possible? Can any one please narrate the steps to achieve it?
    Has anyone done it before? Or do i have any other clean way to achieve
    my goal?

    Im thinking of these steps:
    - configure reserved memory in bsd kernel
    - modify /usr/src/i386/common/list to inject custom libs and
    applications
    - build it

    Pankaj.

  2. Re: pxe-booting openbsd live environment

    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:10:25 -0800, pankajtakawale wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    > Im trying to create a openbsd live environment for pxe booting.
    > I could successfully pxe-boot bsd.rd (openbsd ramdisk kernel) using
    > pxeboot....Is it possible? Can any one please narrate the steps to
    > achieve it? Has anyone done it before? Or do i have any other clean way
    > to achieve my goal?

    Use the full system for your diskless client.

    A custom kernel with boot and swap via nfs is needed. Look at the
    comments in /usr/src/sys/arch/`machine`/conf/GENERIC. There used to be a
    DISKLESS configuration file which had those, it has been removed in favor
    of the one line of comment in GENERIC.

    I've played with this in the past, and isn't difficult to set up. See
    diskless(8), bootparams(5), and bootparamd(8).

    --
    Replying directly will get you locally blacklisted.
    Change the address; use my first name in front of the @ if you want to

  3. Re: pxe-booting openbsd live environment

    On Feb 16, 11:04 am, Josh Grosse wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:10:25 -0800, pankajtakawale wrote:
    > > Hi guys,
    > > Im trying to create a openbsd live environment for pxe booting.
    > > I could successfully pxe-boot bsd.rd (openbsd ramdisk kernel) using
    > > pxeboot....Is it possible? Can any one please narrate the steps to
    > > achieve it? Has anyone done it before? Or do i have any other clean way
    > > to achieve my goal?

    > Use the full system for your diskless client.
    >
    > A custom kernel with boot and swap via nfs is needed. Look at the
    > comments in /usr/src/sys/arch/`machine`/conf/GENERIC. There used to be a
    > DISKLESS configuration file which had those, it has been removed in favor
    > of the one line of comment in GENERIC.
    >
    > I've played with this in the past, and isn't difficult to set up. See
    > diskless(8), bootparams(5), and bootparamd(8).
    >
    > --
    > Replying directly will get you locally blacklisted.
    > Change the address; use my first name in front of the @ if you want to
    > communicate privately.

    Yes, Im aware of this technique. Quetzal also uses the same technique.
    Can I configure swap & nfs root filesystem on any unix box? OR it has
    to be an OpenBSD box?

    This technique has overhead of having 1 separate unix server for
    sharing swap & nfs root filesystems.

    Im thinking of technique by which I can inject my custom root
    filesystem in bsd.rd only. Instead of mounting root from NFS server it
    will mount it from memory. The same technique is being used by Gentoo,
    DSL for mounting root filesystem. (They inject root filesystem in
    initrd itself, linuxrc script in initrd mounts root filesystem from
    the image using pivot_root )
    Or I can just customize mr.fs by injecting my own environment in it,
    just like the way we customize initrd in case of Linux.
    Has anyone tried modifying bsd.rd for injecting cutom utilities?

  4. Re: pxe-booting openbsd live environment

    pankajtakawale wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 11:04 am, Josh Grosse wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:10:25 -0800, pankajtakawale wrote:
    >> > Hi guys,
    >> > Im trying to create a openbsd live environment for pxe booting.
    >> > I could successfully pxe-boot bsd.rd (openbsd ramdisk kernel) using
    >> > pxeboot....Is it possible? Can any one please narrate the steps to
    >> > achieve it? Has anyone done it before? Or do i have any other clean way
    >> > to achieve my goal?

    >> Use the full system for your diskless client.
    >>
    >> A custom kernel with boot and swap via nfs is needed. Look at the
    >> comments in /usr/src/sys/arch/`machine`/conf/GENERIC. There used to be a
    >> DISKLESS configuration file which had those, it has been removed in favor
    >> of the one line of comment in GENERIC.
    >>
    >> I've played with this in the past, and isn't difficult to set up. See
    >> diskless(8), bootparams(5), and bootparamd(8).

    > Yes, Im aware of this technique. Quetzal also uses the same technique.
    > Can I configure swap & nfs root filesystem on any unix box? OR it has
    > to be an OpenBSD box?

    You can use any NFS server, which may or may not be a UNIX or OpenBSD
    box.

    > This technique has overhead of having 1 separate unix server for
    > sharing swap & nfs root filesystems.

    Huh? That can be the very same server, and using NFS versus sending the
    whole system via TFTP is a big win for the network and pretty much
    everything else. And results in much faster booting, too.

    > Im thinking of technique by which I can inject my custom root
    > filesystem in bsd.rd only. Instead of mounting root from NFS server it
    > will mount it from memory. The same technique is being used by Gentoo,
    > DSL for mounting root filesystem. (They inject root filesystem in
    > initrd itself, linuxrc script in initrd mounts root filesystem from
    > the image using pivot_root )
    > Or I can just customize mr.fs by injecting my own environment in it,
    > just like the way we customize initrd in case of Linux.
    > Has anyone tried modifying bsd.rd for injecting cutom utilities?

    This shouldn't be all that difficult, but I don't see why it would be a
    good idea. For one thing, I'm not at all sure what happens if you try to
    load a 800MB ramdisk on a box with 512MB of memory... but I guess not as
    much as you'd like.

    Joachim

  5. Re: pxe-booting openbsd live environment

    > Huh? That can be the very same server, and using NFS versus sending the
    > whole system via TFTP is a big win for the network and pretty much
    > everything else. And results in much faster booting, too.

    my dhcp & tftp server runs on windows box. so i would have overhead of
    1 more unix server just to place root & swap filesystems.

  6. Re: pxe-booting openbsd live environment

    > Huh? That can be the very same server, and using NFS versus sending the
    > whole system via TFTP is a big win for the network and pretty much
    > everything else. And results in much faster booting, too.

    my dhcp & tftp server runs on windows box. so i would have overhead of
    1 more unix server just to place root & swap filesystems.

  7. Re: pxe-booting openbsd live environment

    pankajtakawale wrote:
    >> Huh? That can be the very same server, and using NFS versus sending the
    >> whole system via TFTP is a big win for the network and pretty much
    >> everything else. And results in much faster booting, too.
    >>

    > my dhcp & tftp server runs on windows box. so i would have overhead of
    > 1 more unix server just to place root & swap filesystems.

    Huh? Are you really sure there isn't at least one NFS server for Windows
    that doesn't suck worse than its UNIX equivalents? (Or failing that,
    doesn't suck badly enough not to work at all.)

    I admit to having zero interest in this, and thus very knowledge, but
    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+nfs+server suggests I am not the
    first one to think that NFS on Windows could be useful. (And the results
    includes something using Cygwin, which should be very useful - I've
    heard a lot of good things about Cygwin.)

    Joachim

  8. Re: pxe-booting openbsd live environment

    pankajtakawale wrote:
    >> Huh? That can be the very same server, and using NFS versus sending the
    >> whole system via TFTP is a big win for the network and pretty much
    >> everything else. And results in much faster booting, too.
    >>

    > my dhcp & tftp server runs on windows box. so i would have overhead of
    > 1 more unix server just to place root & swap filesystems.

    Or run the free Services for Unix from Micro$oft. it's a .zip archive
    that gives you an installer. it is a big installer. It offers a whole
    NFS server, but doesn't operate as a traditional unix NFS server in the
    way it locates machines (broadcasts to 255.255.255.255 and trips the IDS
    at work!).

+ Reply to Thread