.klogin file when K components are not installed? - BSD

This is a discussion on .klogin file when K components are not installed? - BSD ; Might anyone know why a .klogin file might be installed or created at /root/.klogin when no K applications or libraries have been installed? I do not install or use KDE. I do install some of GNOME's libraries , but I ...

  1. .klogin file when K components are not installed?

    Might anyone know why a .klogin file might be installed or
    created at /root/.klogin when no K applications or libraries
    have been installed? I do not install or use KDE.

    I do install some of GNOME's libraries , but I do not install
    or use the GNOME desktop environment.

    I do use Enlightenment.

    /root/.klogin's contents are:

    # $OpenBSD: dot.klogin,v 1.4 2002/06/09 06:15:15 todd Exp $

    #user1.root@your.realm.wherever
    #user2.root@your.realm.wherever

    Could some non-K package be responsible for this file , or
    is /root/.klogin a part of the OpenBSD 4.0-release default
    install?

    The next time I re-install i'll look more closely to try to
    see exactly where this file comes from , but i'm hoping there
    might be some non-K/non-KDE users out there who might already
    know. ??

    An Odd User.

  2. Re: .klogin file when K components are not installed?

    Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > Might anyone know why a .klogin file might be installed or
    > created at /root/.klogin when no K applications or libraries
    > have been installed? I do not install or use KDE.

    klogin is a Kerberos related file used to determine what principals
    can log in as that user. It is not related with KDE.

    Cheers,
    Igor.

  3. Re: .klogin file when K components are not installed?

    In the referenced article, Nomen Nescio writes:

    >/root/.klogin's contents are:
    >

    ># $OpenBSD: dot.klogin,v 1.4 2002/06/09 06:15:15 todd Exp $
    >
    >#user1.root@your.realm.wherever
    >#user2.root@your.realm.wherever
    >

    >Could some non-K package be responsible for this file , or
    >is /root/.klogin a part of the OpenBSD 4.0-release default
    >install?
    >

    >The next time I re-install i'll look more closely to try to
    >see exactly where this file comes from , but i'm hoping there
    >might be some non-K/non-KDE users out there who might already
    >know. ??

    As has been pointed out, it's kerberos-related. It's put there as
    part of the initial install. Installed when you install etc40.tgz
    from your set of OpenBSD CDs.

    However note the form of the kerberos principals:

    user1.root@your.realm.wherever

    These are kerberosIV principals. OpenBSD now comes with kerberosV;
    kerberosIV support was withdrawn many releases ago. An equivalent
    kerberosV principal would look like:

    user1/root@your.realm.wherever

    This, together with the date on the file (2002/06/09), almost
    certainly means it's no longer used or required. Won't do
    any harm to leave it there.

    You're probably better off using the sudo command to provide
    fine-grained control of who can run commands as root.

    (I'm not even sure if the kerberosV (Heimdal) that comes with
    OpenBSD supports an equivalent to the .klogin file. MIT's
    kerberosV does, they use a .k5login file.)
    --
    Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
    D.H.Davis@bath.ac.uk

+ Reply to Thread