Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ? - BSD

This is a discussion on Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ? - BSD ; Hi Been in IT for many (too many to admit!) years - just getting back into *nix after an enforced separation using other OS. A couple of people offered me assistance a few months ago and then promptly disappeared when ...

  1. Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ?

    Hi

    Been in IT for many (too many to admit!) years - just getting back into *nix
    after an enforced separation using other OS.

    A couple of people offered me assistance a few months ago and then promptly
    disappeared when I tried to follow up on their offers - so I'll start over

    Anyone interested in assisting me in setting up and showing me how to
    maintain a new personal network to include :

    Mail server (exim) for many domains

    General networking maint.

    Param network info - fixed IPs

    web server (apache?) for several sites - mainly antispam/similar

    Creation and ongoing maintenance of SQL db for bl project

    Leaning towards BSD based (but would consider other options)

    No fees - but suitable refreshments readily available ;-)

    --

    -= David =-

    (remove the obvious to reply by email)

  2. Re: Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ?

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:09:23 +0000, linux.news@hotcoldmail.com wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Been in IT for many (too many to admit!) years - just getting back into *nix
    > after an enforced separation using other OS.
    >
    > A couple of people offered me assistance a few months ago and then promptly
    > disappeared when I tried to follow up on their offers - so I'll start over
    >
    > Anyone interested in assisting me in setting up and showing me how to
    > maintain a new personal network to include :

    May I suggest that you contact the Blackpool user group?
    http://www.pcrecycler.co.uk/club
    --
    Neil
    Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

  3. Re: Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ?

    "Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
    : On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:09:23 +0000, -= David =- wrote:
    :
    : > Hi
    : >
    : > Been in IT for many (too many to admit!) years - just getting back into
    *nix
    : > after an enforced separation using other OS.
    : >
    : > A couple of people offered me assistance a few months ago and then
    promptly
    : > disappeared when I tried to follow up on their offers - so I'll start
    over
    : > ....
    : >
    : > Anyone interested in assisting me in setting up and showing me how to
    : > maintain a new personal network to include :
    : >
    : May I suggest that you contact the Blackpool user group?
    : http://www.pcrecycler.co.uk/club

    Thanks for the suggestion - tried emailing them some time ago but no
    response.

    --

    -= David =-

  4. Re: Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ?

    "linux.news@hotcoldmail.com" wrote
    in message news:45cb3d7d$0$28980$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
    > Hi
    >
    > Been in IT for many (too many to admit!) years - just getting back into
    > *nix
    > after an enforced separation using other OS.
    >
    > A couple of people offered me assistance a few months ago and then
    > promptly
    > disappeared when I tried to follow up on their offers - so I'll start over
    >
    > Anyone interested in assisting me in setting up and showing me how to
    > maintain a new personal network to include :
    >
    > Mail server (exim) for many domains
    >
    > General networking maint.
    >
    > Param network info - fixed IPs
    >
    > web server (apache?) for several sites - mainly antispam/similar
    >
    > Creation and ongoing maintenance of SQL db for bl project
    >
    > Leaning towards BSD based (but would consider other options)
    >
    > No fees - but suitable refreshments readily available ;-)

    I'm on the (UK) south coast, so not near exactly... but if OpenBSD appeals,
    I'd be happy to help - by email and/or phone. Besides, it's not too hard -
    the FAQ is an essential read [1] beforehand, and I can provide the "tricky"
    bits (e.g. partition sizes, initial setup etc).

    You say "web server for several sites" - you may do better hosting these on
    a public host rather than your own machine, for many reasons. I can help
    there too.

    [1] It's essential not just to read the FAQ, but to demonstrate that you can
    help yourself - it's a cultural thing .

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  5. Re: Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ?

    On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 19:36:22 -0000, "Steve at fivetrees"
    wrote:

    >You say "web server for several sites" - you may do better hosting these on
    >a public host rather than your own machine, for many reasons. I can help
    >there too.

    Especially on a VPS server such as Bytemark ,
    where you get full control of the host.

    Andrew.

  6. Re: Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ?

    I just live in essex and i been to freebsd/netbsd/openbsd for quite
    sometime already. u want online howtos or u want to hire this guy in a
    contract or per day basis?

    On 9 Feb, 21:52, "-= David =-"
    wrote:
    > "Neil Ellwood" wrote in message

    > : On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:09:23 +0000, -= David =- wrote:
    > :
    > : > Hi
    > : >
    > : > Been in IT for many (too many to admit!) years - just getting back into
    > *nix
    > : > after an enforced separation using other OS.
    > : >
    > : > A couple of people offered me assistance a few months ago and then
    > promptly
    > : > disappeared when I tried to follow up on their offers - so I'll start
    > over
    > : > ....
    > : >
    > : > Anyone interested in assisting me in setting up and showing me how to
    > : > maintain a new personal network to include :
    > : >
    > : May I suggest that you contact the Blackpool user group?
    > :http://www.pcrecycler.co.uk/club
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion - tried emailing them some time ago but no
    > response.
    >
    > --
    >
    > -= David =-

  7. Re: Anyone near Blackpool willing to help ?

    "Demuel I. Bendano, EE" wrote in message
    news:1171442841.517974.81110@q2g2000cwa.googlegrou ps.com...
    :I just live in essex and i been to freebsd/netbsd/openbsd for quite
    : sometime already. u want online howtos or u want to hire this guy in a
    : contract or per day basis?
    :

    tdz svp ???

+ Reply to Thread