OpenBSD LiveCD -- public beta - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD LiveCD -- public beta - BSD ; ttt123ttt453 wrote: > mr.b wrote: > > > *plonked* for egregious stupidity > plonked for your stupidity to require such post. grow up. we don't care about your stupid killfile....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 45 of 45

Thread: OpenBSD LiveCD -- public beta

  1. Re: OpenBSD LiveCD -- public beta

    ttt123ttt453 wrote:
    > mr.b wrote:
    >
    >
    > *plonked* for egregious stupidity
    >


    plonked for your stupidity to require such post.

    grow up. we don't care about your stupid killfile.

  2. Re: OpenBSD LiveCD -- public beta

    Begin <86odow73c8.fsf@blue.stonehenge.com>
    On 2007-01-18, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
    > [...] I hope this illustrates the distance OpenBSD would have to go to
    > be accepted as mainstream. It's not just "a live CD". It also has to
    > be dirt simple to install.


    Sure, but ``livecd'' does not equal ``going mainstream''. The issue
    here was ``livecd'', because of the argument that such a thing would
    be useful to have. A livecd could help with ``going mainstream'', and
    _then_ your argument has merit[1]. Merit of the ``all the world is a
    toaster'' type[1], to be sure, but still.

    But, that was not the issue here. I think that you overlooked that most
    OpenBSD, heck, most {Free,Net,Open,Dragonfly}BSD[2] users are in it for
    the power and not for the lack of learning curve.

    This was mentioned, if a bit more wordy, elsethread already. I brought
    it up because as a consultant you likely talk to a lot of lesser
    educatable beings[3] who haven't quite caught on to all the world not
    quite being a toaster[4]. Which leaves you with the task of not losing
    the overview and recognizing that not all tools have the same uses.


    [1] It is widespread and accepted by many. I think we will have to lose
    it sooner or later, seeing how the non-computing part of the world,
    and the ``professional'' side of the computing world too, is rapidly
    going for higher education requirements everywhere.
    [2] With pcbsd as the odd man out.
    [3] Reference left as an excercise.
    [4] It'd be their jobs if they did. Or *gasp* them back to learning again.

    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  3. Re: OpenBSD LiveCD -- public beta

    Manuel wrote:
    > Josh Grosse ha scritto:
    >> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:44:00 +0000, Manuel wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Josh Grosse ha scritto:

    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>>> * It could also be used as a "rescue disc" for production
    >>>> environments, if desired, though most production environments would
    >>>> have installation media, network boot, or some other form of
    >>>> recovery
    >>>> process in place.
    >>>>
    >>>> To be clear, the purpose of these LiveCDs is to make testing of the OS
    >>>> easier. They are not used to install the OS on hard drive, and are not
    >>>> intended to advocate OpenBSD as the "OS for the masses." ...

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> Why then do you make a live cd with the base system and some usefull
    >>> ports, instead of window manager, this really help who will use the
    >>> system, and as a rescue disk! I can't rescue anything with KDE.

    >>
    >>
    >> There must be a language problem, because you are not reading what I
    >> wrote. I wrote that a disc *could* be used for that purpose. Anyone
    >> with the OS in production would be unlikely to need it. If you don't
    >> have
    >> good DR plans, and test them regularly, none of these .iso files will be
    >> much help to you anyway.
    >>
    >> As far as I can tell, you object to this service from fear of some
    >> kind of "newbie pollution". If your objection is having to wade through
    >> newbie posts on misc@, ports@, or even here on this low volume newsgroup,
    >> then use tools that let you more effectively manage mailing list e-mail
    >> (or news) than you are using now. T-bird is a wonderful mail client for
    >> html-based mail, but AFAICR it doesn't manage e-mail by threads. (I
    >> understand it gets relatively poor reviews as an nntp client, too.)

    > Of course, when one don't know what to say, he speaks about the
    > erroneous software one use.
    > In this post I have left a chance for you: I can't block you to made the
    > live, then at least made a usefull live, just with good software, that
    > can really help the user.
    > I've said I can fix OpenBSD problems also with the cd40.iso.
    > Ok, but if I need to fix an ext2fs partition?
    > There isn't ext2fs tools in that cd (are in the ports), so, in this
    > case, put some kind of software can really help.
    > Of course KDE can't help in this case.
    > Especially if my computer is really old.
    >

    If you want steak, order steak. If you want a salad, order that.

    Criticize the intent for an OBSD live CD all you want on the merits of
    having such a live CD.

    Criticizing the idea because you think it will be missing third-party
    tools not included with the base install of OpenBSD is a poor argument
    because it is completely besides the point.

    If you need a rescue disc, so be it. Tailor one for yourself all you
    like. Heck, use someone else's work in the form of a bootable ISO,
    adding your own stuff as you see fit.

    A basic Live CD made only from the default install media /could/ be used
    as such a tool for an OpenBSD base system, notwithstanding missing all
    sorts of stuff /you/ might put in /your/ rescue disc. No amount of
    complaining that it does not have ToolX from foo.com detracts from this.

    Whether or not an OpenBSD Live CD should have some specific tool you
    think is critical approaches bike-shedding. Who cares what colour the
    Live CD is, as long as it matches the basic hue and tint of the regular
    install media.

  4. Re: OpenBSD LiveCD -- public beta

    Just an update to let interested parties know that the KDE .iso is now
    working. cdboot(8) has not been fixed, instead, the problem has been
    circumvented.

    The KDE LiveCD is large, and requires burnable DVD media and a compatible
    drive. Uncompressed: 1.2 GB. Compressed files for download range from
    326 to 427 MB, depending on format.

    For those who might be interested, I updated src/sys/dev/vnd.c from rev
    1.62 to 1.63 to allow vnconfig to use read-only filesystems, and
    /usr/local is now an iso-within-an-iso.

    FAQ: http://jggimi.homeip.net/livecd/faq.html
    Downloads: http://jggimi.homeip.net/livecd/downloads.html

    --
    Replying directly will get you locally blacklisted.
    Change the address; use my first name in front of the @ if you want to
    communicate privately.


  5. Re: OpenBSD LiveCD -- public beta

    I have added ISOs that contain the Dillo lightweight browser.

    FAQ: http://jggimi.homeip.net/livecd/faq.html
    Downloads: http://jggimi.homeip.net/livecd/downloads.html

    --
    Replying directly will get you locally blacklisted.
    Change the address; use my first name in front of the @ if you want to
    communicate privately.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3