resolv.conf question - BSD

This is a discussion on resolv.conf question - BSD ; What programs update the contents of the files resolv.conf and resolv.conf.save? From where do the initial contents of these files come? Thanks, Dave Feustel -- Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE? http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com...

  1. resolv.conf question

    What programs update the contents of the
    files resolv.conf and resolv.conf.save?

    From where do the initial contents of these files come?

    Thanks,
    Dave Feustel
    --
    Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE?
    http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com

  2. Re: resolv.conf question

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:54:54 -0500, dfeustel wrote:

    > What programs update the contents of the files resolv.conf and
    > resolv.conf.save?
    >
    > From where do the initial contents of these files come?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave Feustel

    If i recall correctly, there are two ways to "fill" this file
    1) "automagicaly" during system setup from the given parameters.
    2) automaticly on each boot/update if you use DHCP.

    resolv.conf.save is probably a handmade copy

    HTH
    Rudy

  3. Re: resolv.conf question

    dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > What programs update the contents of the
    > files resolv.conf and resolv.conf.save?
    >
    > From where do the initial contents of these files come?

    IIRC cfengine (http://www.cfengine.org)

    You might want to start your search in /var/cfengine

    Peter

    --
    http://www.boosten.org

    Mail: peter at boosten dot org

  4. Re: resolv.conf question

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:54:54 -0500, dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    >What programs update the contents of the
    >files resolv.conf and resolv.conf.save?

    Probably dhclient. It makes a copy (.save) each time a new resolv.conf
    is generated.
    The contents comes from the data in the reply from the DHCP server. You
    can add information by creating a file 'resolv.conf.tail' in /etc. The
    contents will be added to resolv.conf by dhclient-script.
    If you need to overwrite information, you should edit dhclient.conf.

    --
    Maurice

  5. Re: resolv.conf question

    Maurice Janssen wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:54:54 -0500, dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    >>What programs update the contents of the
    >>files resolv.conf and resolv.conf.save?

    > Probably dhclient. It makes a copy (.save) each time a new resolv.conf
    > is generated.
    > The contents comes from the data in the reply from the DHCP server. You
    > can add information by creating a file 'resolv.conf.tail' in /etc. The
    > contents will be added to resolv.conf by dhclient-script.
    > If you need to overwrite information, you should edit dhclient.conf.

    Thanks! I had been putting info in resolv.conf and it is being
    overwritten. Each time it is overwritten I immediately lose dns lookup
    capability until I put the nameserver ip addresses back in resolv.conf,
    at which time dns works again. I'll put the info in resolv.conf.tail.

    --
    Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE?
    http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com

  6. Re: resolv.conf question

    dfeustel@mindspring.com writes:

    > What programs update the contents of the
    > files resolv.conf and resolv.conf.save?

    resolv.conf is updated by dhclient if using DHCP. It states this
    in the resolv.conf man page (always a good place to start)

    If dhclient(8) is used to configure the network, the DHCP client back-end
    dhclient-script(8) will normally overwrite the resolv.conf file with up-
    dated information such as nameserver addresses, losing any previous val-
    ues the file contained. ...

    > From where do the initial contents of these files come?

    If not using dhcp initial values came from the OS install script.

    I'm not sure about resolv.conf.save. It is referenced in /etc/rc
    and looks like it is to be used for the initial resolv.conf while
    configuring the network. I suspect it is created by the operator.

    // marc

  7. Re: resolv.conf question

    On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc, in
    article , dfeustel@mindspring.com
    wrote:

    > Maurice Janssen wrote:

    >> dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:

    >>> What programs update the contents of the
    >>> files resolv.conf and resolv.conf.save?

    >> Probably dhclient.

    >> The contents comes from the data in the reply from the DHCP server. You
    >> can add information by creating a file 'resolv.conf.tail' in /etc. The
    >> contents will be added to resolv.conf by dhclient-script.
    >> If you need to overwrite information, you should edit dhclient.conf.

    >Thanks! I had been putting info in resolv.conf and it is being
    >overwritten. Each time it is overwritten I immediately lose dns lookup
    >capability until I put the nameserver ip addresses back in resolv.conf,
    >at which time dns works again. I'll put the info in resolv.conf.tail.

    Why not take a hammer to the person who has misconfigured the DHCP server
    so that you don't have to run a fix for a broken "helper" tool? DHCP was
    originally developed for the situation of "to many computers, not enough
    IP addresses". RFC1918 solved that problem over ten years ago, but DHCP
    was also used ts a "helper" to simplify the host configuration for people
    who can't spell IP, and put the onus and complexity on the DHCP server.
    This may be great for laptops that are constantly moving from one network
    to another (though there are simpler, more secure solutions), but it's a
    waste of CPU cycles, bandwidth and diskspace otherwise.

    Old guy

  8. Re: resolv.conf question

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc,
    > in article ,
    > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    >
    >> Maurice Janssen wrote:

    >>> Probably dhclient.

    >>> The contents comes from the data in the reply from the DHCP server. You
    >>> can add information by creating a file 'resolv.conf.tail' in /etc. The
    >>> contents will be added to resolv.conf by dhclient-script.
    >>> If you need to overwrite information, you should edit dhclient.conf.

    >>Thanks! I had been putting info in resolv.conf and it is being
    >>overwritten. Each time it is overwritten I immediately lose dns lookup
    >>capability until I put the nameserver ip addresses back in resolv.conf,
    >>at which time dns works again. I'll put the info in resolv.conf.tail.

    > Why not take a hammer to the person who has misconfigured the DHCP server
    > so that you don't have to run a fix for a broken "helper" tool? DHCP was
    > originally developed for the situation of "to many computers, not enough
    > IP addresses". RFC1918 solved that problem over ten years ago, but DHCP
    > was also used ts a "helper" to simplify the host configuration for people
    > who can't spell IP, and put the onus and complexity on the DHCP server.
    > This may be great for laptops that are constantly moving from one network
    > to another (though there are simpler, more secure solutions), but it's a
    > waste of CPU cycles, bandwidth and diskspace otherwise.
    >
    > Old guy

    I am running both dhclient (to the isp) and dhcpd (to my private
    network) on the same computer. I am a rank neophyte with dhcp, so
    I still have a way to go before I have dhcp down pat and stop making
    stupid mistakes setting it up.
    --
    Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE?
    http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com