Problem with xpdf package for 3.9 on AMD64 - BSD

This is a discussion on Problem with xpdf package for 3.9 on AMD64 - BSD ; There is a display problem with xpdf for AMD64 running OpenBSD 3.9. This problem may be simply that xpdf currently supports version 1.5 of the pdf standard, while the documents not being displayed properly incorporate the 1.6 pdf standard. The ...

  1. Problem with xpdf package for 3.9 on AMD64

    There is a display problem with xpdf for AMD64 running OpenBSD
    3.9. This problem may be simply that xpdf currently supports
    version 1.5 of the pdf standard, while the documents not being
    displayed properly incorporate the 1.6 pdf standard.

    The documents in question are the Intel Architecture manuals
    Vols 1, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, and the Optimization guide, available at
    http://developer.intel.com/design/Pe.../index_new.htm.
    The problem is that the manuals have a default display size of
    125%. When I change the display size to 200% and then use PgDn to
    go to the next page, the new page is displayed at 125%, leaving the
    border filled with the original page. I was able to get out of
    that mode by adjusting the window size. At some point, the software
    starts redrawing the screen correctly. When the screen is drawn
    correctly, the border beyond the page also turns from light to dark.
    Unfortunately, I have not yet seen that happen with document 248966
    (the optimization guide).

    This bug notwithstanding, I am very impressed with the performance
    and features of OpenBSD 3.9 running on my new AM2 socket AMD64 computer.

    Dave Feustel

    --
    Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE?
    http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com

  2. Re: Problem with xpdf package for 3.9 on AMD64

    dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > There is a display problem with xpdf for AMD64 running OpenBSD
    > 3.9. This problem may be simply that xpdf currently supports
    > version 1.5 of the pdf standard, while the documents not being
    > displayed properly incorporate the 1.6 pdf standard.
    >
    > The documents in question are the Intel Architecture manuals
    > Vols 1, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, and the Optimization guide, available at
    > http://developer.intel.com/design/Pe.../index_new.htm.
    > The problem is that the manuals have a default display size of
    > 125%. When I change the display size to 200% and then use PgDn to
    > go to the next page, the new page is displayed at 125%, leaving the
    > border filled with the original page. I was able to get out of
    > that mode by adjusting the window size. At some point, the software
    > starts redrawing the screen correctly. When the screen is drawn
    > correctly, the border beyond the page also turns from light to dark.
    > Unfortunately, I have not yet seen that happen with document 248966
    > (the optimization guide).
    >
    > This bug notwithstanding, I am very impressed with the performance
    > and features of OpenBSD 3.9 running on my new AM2 socket AMD64 computer.

    ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pent...s/25366521.pdf opens fine
    for me on -current, and does not exhibit the described behaviour.
    Upgrade to 4.0 ;-).

    Joachim

  3. Re: Problem with xpdf package for 3.9 on AMD64

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    >> There is a display problem with xpdf for AMD64 running OpenBSD
    >> 3.9. This problem may be simply that xpdf currently supports
    >> version 1.5 of the pdf standard, while the documents not being
    >> displayed properly incorporate the 1.6 pdf standard.
    >>
    >> The documents in question are the Intel Architecture manuals
    >> Vols 1, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, and the Optimization guide, available at
    >> http://developer.intel.com/design/Pe.../index_new.htm.
    >> The problem is that the manuals have a default display size of
    >> 125%. When I change the display size to 200% and then use PgDn to
    >> go to the next page, the new page is displayed at 125%, leaving the
    >> border filled with the original page. I was able to get out of
    >> that mode by adjusting the window size. At some point, the software
    >> starts redrawing the screen correctly. When the screen is drawn
    >> correctly, the border beyond the page also turns from light to dark.
    >> Unfortunately, I have not yet seen that happen with document 248966
    >> (the optimization guide).
    >>
    >> This bug notwithstanding, I am very impressed with the performance
    >> and features of OpenBSD 3.9 running on my new AM2 socket AMD64 computer.

    > ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pent...s/25366521.pdf opens fine
    > for me on -current, and does not exhibit the described behaviour.
    > Upgrade to 4.0 ;-).
    >
    > Joachim

    That's my plan when the 4.0 packages are available and I can afford
    to order the 4.0 cdrom set.

    --
    Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE?
    http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com

  4. Re: Problem with xpdf package for 3.9 on AMD64

    dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >> dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    >>> There is a display problem with xpdf for AMD64 running OpenBSD
    >>> 3.9. This problem may be simply that xpdf currently supports
    >>> version 1.5 of the pdf standard, while the documents not being
    >>> displayed properly incorporate the 1.6 pdf standard.
    >>>
    >>> The documents in question are the Intel Architecture manuals
    >>> Vols 1, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, and the Optimization guide, available at
    >>> http://developer.intel.com/design/Pe.../index_new.htm.
    >>> The problem is that the manuals have a default display size of
    >>> 125%. When I change the display size to 200% and then use PgDn to
    >>> go to the next page, the new page is displayed at 125%, leaving the
    >>> border filled with the original page. I was able to get out of
    >>> that mode by adjusting the window size. At some point, the software
    >>> starts redrawing the screen correctly. When the screen is drawn
    >>> correctly, the border beyond the page also turns from light to dark.
    >>> Unfortunately, I have not yet seen that happen with document 248966
    >>> (the optimization guide).
    >>>
    >>> This bug notwithstanding, I am very impressed with the performance
    >>> and features of OpenBSD 3.9 running on my new AM2 socket AMD64 computer.

    >> ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pent...s/25366521.pdf opens fine
    >> for me on -current, and does not exhibit the described behaviour.
    >> Upgrade to 4.0 ;-).

    > That's my plan when the 4.0 packages are available and I can afford
    > to order the 4.0 cdrom set.

    When the packages are available, you can also download it, no?

    Joachim

  5. Re: Problem with xpdf package for 3.9 on AMD64

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    >> jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:

    >>> ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pent...s/25366521.pdf opens fine
    >>> for me on -current, and does not exhibit the described behaviour.
    >>> Upgrade to 4.0 ;-).

    >> That's my plan when the 4.0 packages are available and I can afford
    >> to order the 4.0 cdrom set.

    > When the packages are available, you can also download it, no?

    I can and have done so, but I prefer installing from a cdrom.
    Plus buying OpenBSD cdrom sets supports the OpenBSD project,
    which I do as much as possible.

    Dave

    --
    Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE?