openBSD vs squid transperant version - BSD

This is a discussion on openBSD vs squid transperant version - BSD ; this is the situation 1 openBSD as NAT box where my adsl comes in. a secondary machine with openBSD as squid machine for lan usage. works well, however, the squid seems a bit taking his time to send the webpage ...

  1. openBSD vs squid transperant version

    this is the situation
    1 openBSD as NAT box where my adsl comes in.
    a secondary machine with openBSD as squid machine for lan usage.

    works well, however, the squid seems a bit taking his time to send the webpage
    he feteched from the net to the machine where the request is coming from, the
    time is various between 10 and 30 seconds, i think this not the behavure it
    should be.

    what can i do the increase the speed to the lan machine ?
    or works it best when i install squid also on my nat box ?

    the squid box is a compaq proline EN on 667 mhz with 256MB of ram, a 512MB
    cache disk and 100MB of ram for memory caching

    and the nat box is a toshiba laptop with 64MB on 266Mhz.

    thnxs.

  2. Re: openBSD vs squid transperant version

    > time is various between 10 and 30 seconds, i think this not the behavure

    Have you checked which one is the cause, nat or cache?
    What NIC's do you have? Maybe a broken NIC? Bad cables?
    Is it a switched network? Maybe a duplex problem?
    Is the cache the only thing that is slow?
    How about ftp to/from the squid computer?
    How about filter/nat rules, have you tried bypassing/simplifying them?
    Maybe a few more words on the network topology?

  3. Re: openBSD vs squid transperant version

    A.S wrote:
    >> time is various between 10 and 30 seconds, i think this not the behavure

    > Have you checked which one is the cause, nat or cache?
    > What NIC's do you have? Maybe a broken NIC? Bad cables?
    > Is it a switched network? Maybe a duplex problem?
    > Is the cache the only thing that is slow?
    > How about ftp to/from the squid computer?
    > How about filter/nat rules, have you tried bypassing/simplifying them?
    > Maybe a few more words on the network topology?

    Are DNS lookups involved anywhere?

    Joachim

  4. Re: openBSD vs squid transperant version

    On 09 Jun 2006 20:35:57 GMT, jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:

    my resolve.conf was incomplete.
    i forgot my secondary DNS entry, now it is running like as it should be,
    smooth, fast, and silence.
    thnxs any way, i am currently thinking if i should migrate squid also to my
    NAT box, squid is currently configed on a test box, so that i could not broke
    up the nat box.

    if al goes as it should be, i am on the move to read, break my head over bind

    >A.S wrote:
    >>> time is various between 10 and 30 seconds, i think this not the behavure

    >> Have you checked which one is the cause, nat or cache?
    >> What NIC's do you have? Maybe a broken NIC? Bad cables?
    >> Is it a switched network? Maybe a duplex problem?
    >> Is the cache the only thing that is slow?
    >> How about ftp to/from the squid computer?
    >> How about filter/nat rules, have you tried bypassing/simplifying them?
    >> Maybe a few more words on the network topology?

    >Are DNS lookups involved anywhere?
    >
    > Joachim

+ Reply to Thread