PC Speaker beep - BSD

This is a discussion on PC Speaker beep - BSD ; Greetings fellows... At work, where I've installed OpenBSD i386 v3.9, the console beep is VERY VERY loud.. and I'm trying to find a way to disable and/or mute the beep. System audio is not important. Disabling the onboard audio doesn't ...

  1. PC Speaker beep

    Greetings fellows...

    At work, where I've installed OpenBSD i386 v3.9, the console beep is
    VERY VERY loud.. and I'm trying to find a way to disable and/or mute
    the beep. System audio is not important. Disabling the onboard audio
    doesn't work. config(8) the existing kernel and disabling spkr0 and
    midi0 doesn't work

    I'm kind of running out of ideas. I took a quick look at sysctl
    variables, didn't find anything.

    I'd really like to disable it with software, as apposed to unplugging it
    from the motherboard..but I will do that if I have to.

    Thank you much.

  2. Re: PC Speaker beep

    > At work, where I've installed OpenBSD i386 v3.9, the console beep is
    > VERY VERY loud.. and I'm trying to find a way to disable and/or mute
    > the beep. System audio is not important. Disabling the onboard audio
    > doesn't work. config(8) the existing kernel and disabling spkr0 and
    > midi0 doesn't work

    Add a ``keyboard.bell.volume=0'' line to /etc/wsconsctl.conf.

  3. Re: PC Speaker beep

    Miod Vallat wrote:
    > > At work, where I've installed OpenBSD i386 v3.9, the console beep is
    > > VERY VERY loud.. and I'm trying to find a way to disable and/or mute
    > > the beep. System audio is not important. Disabling the onboard audio
    > > doesn't work. config(8) the existing kernel and disabling spkr0 and
    > > midi0 doesn't work

    > Add a ``keyboard.bell.volume=0'' line to /etc/wsconsctl.conf.

    Perfect! works beautifully!

    Thank you very very much.

+ Reply to Thread