Dialogues in xfce4 - BSD

This is a discussion on Dialogues in xfce4 - BSD ; I get problems with Firefox not opening dialogue boxes when it should do. For example, if I choose File -> Save page as... then I get no file dialogue box. If I then try again, File -> Save page as... ...

  1. Dialogues in xfce4

    I get problems with Firefox not opening dialogue boxes when it should
    do.

    For example, if I choose File -> Save page as... then I get no file
    dialogue box. If I then try again, File -> Save page as... then Firefox
    crashes and disappears. No core dump arises though.

    Is there a package that I need to install?

    Is there any further information that I should be providing?

    I've built Firefox 1.5.0.3 from ports and have always had this problem.

    --
    Best regards,

    Craig

    http://slashboot.org/

    Support OpenBSD
    http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html

  2. Re: Dialogues in xfce4

    mccraigy@googlemail.com wrote:
    > I get problems with Firefox not opening dialogue boxes when it should
    > do.
    >
    > For example, if I choose File -> Save page as... then I get no file
    > dialogue box. If I then try again, File -> Save page as... then Firefox
    > crashes and disappears. No core dump arises though.
    >
    > Is there a package that I need to install?
    >
    > Is there any further information that I should be providing?
    >
    > I've built Firefox 1.5.0.3 from ports and have always had this problem.

    I'm fairly certain your graphics library is messed up - the problem is,
    *which* graphics library?

    You didn't, perchance, do something silly - like installing the wrong
    ports, upgrading the system without handling the ports properly, or
    somehow messed up installing the x* packages (due to a problem with
    downloading?)? Or ...?

    FWIW, I am running a recent pre-hackathon -current machine with the
    Firefox you mention, and don't have any problems. Except that Firefox is
    still very heavy, of course.

    Joachim

  3. Re: Dialogues in xfce4

    Hi Joachim.

    How can I investigate this further? I probably have messed it up, but I
    have no idea where to start debugging it.

    I agree with your prognosis and don't know where to look for the root
    of the problem. I'm pulling my hair out with this as I now really need
    Firefox to work properly with the save as dialogues. I've installed a
    plugin for saving pages as images, but never get the dialogue box to
    complete the process.

    I'd appreciate any pointers and would even go so far as to switch from
    xfce4.

    Many thanks.
    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > mccraigy@googlemail.com wrote:
    > > I get problems with Firefox not opening dialogue boxes when it should
    > > do.
    > >
    > > For example, if I choose File -> Save page as... then I get no file
    > > dialogue box. If I then try again, File -> Save page as... then Firefox
    > > crashes and disappears. No core dump arises though.
    > >
    > > Is there a package that I need to install?
    > >
    > > Is there any further information that I should be providing?
    > >
    > > I've built Firefox 1.5.0.3 from ports and have always had this problem.

    > I'm fairly certain your graphics library is messed up - the problem is,
    > *which* graphics library?
    >
    > You didn't, perchance, do something silly - like installing the wrong
    > ports, upgrading the system without handling the ports properly, or
    > somehow messed up installing the x* packages (due to a problem with
    > downloading?)? Or ...?
    >
    > FWIW, I am running a recent pre-hackathon -current machine with the
    > Firefox you mention, and don't have any problems. Except that Firefox is
    > still very heavy, of course.
    >
    > Joachim

+ Reply to Thread