OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems - BSD ; Hello, I would like to install OpenBSD 3.9/sparc64 on my Sun Blade 100. I can boot of the CD, no problem but then when I arrive to the install prompt it's impossible to write any input through the keyboard, nothing ...

  1. OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems

    Hello,

    I would like to install OpenBSD 3.9/sparc64 on my Sun Blade 100. I can
    boot of the CD, no problem but then when I arrive to the install prompt
    it's impossible to write any input through the keyboard, nothing happens
    if I type something with the keyboard and nothing appears on the screen.

    I am using a normal Sun USB keyboard which was delivered with my Sun
    Blade 100. I tryed to plug it out and back in but that didn't help. I am
    sure it's not the keyboard because I am using Solaris 10 on that box also.

    Does anyone know what's the problem here ?

    Many thanks

    Regards

  2. Re: OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems

    > I would like to install OpenBSD 3.9/sparc64 on my Sun Blade 100. I can
    > boot of the CD, no problem but then when I arrive to the install prompt
    > it's impossible to write any input through the keyboard, nothing happens
    > if I type something with the keyboard and nothing appears on the screen.

    Do you have, a few lines before the installation prompt, a ``vgafb0:
    failed to find all ports'' message?

    If so, you will need to install using a serial console, or boot with the
    -c option, and disable vgafb and ohci, to force using the PROM interface
    for console (a fix for this problem has been commited in -CURRENT).

  3. Re: OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems

    Miod Vallat wrote:

    > Do you have, a few lines before the installation prompt, a ``vgafb0:
    > failed to find all ports'' message?

    Yes this is correct, I can see the line "vgafb0: failed to find all
    ports" when booting.

    > If so, you will need to install using a serial console, or boot with the
    > -c option, and disable vgafb and ohci, to force using the PROM interface
    > for console (a fix for this problem has been commited in -CURRENT).

    I tryed to do that and I could succesfully install OpenBSD 3.9 but then
    when it's installed and I want to use it, I have got the same problem. I
    get a login prompt but impossible to give any input. What can I do at
    that stage ?

    This means this bug will be fixed in the next release, OpenBSD 4.0 ?

    Regards

  4. Re: OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems

    "syn_NOSPAM_uw" wrote in message
    news:9ee43$447d30aa$5449d3ca$27132@news.hispeed.ch ...

    > Miod Vallat wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have, a few lines before the installation prompt, a ``vgafb0:
    >> failed to find all ports'' message?

    > Yes this is correct, I can see the line "vgafb0: failed to find all ports"
    > when booting.
    >

    >> If so, you will need to install using a serial console, or boot with the
    >> -c option, and disable vgafb and ohci, to force using the PROM interface
    >> for console (a fix for this problem has been commited in -CURRENT).

    > I tryed to do that and I could succesfully install OpenBSD 3.9 but then
    > when it's installed and I want to use it, I have got the same problem. I
    > get a login prompt but impossible to give any input. What can I do at that
    > stage ?
    >
    > This means this bug will be fixed in the next release, OpenBSD 4.0 ?
    >
    > Regards

    Remember I had this problem.
    In my case, I had a PCI graphic adapter.
    I took it out and everything worked ok, using the onboard graphic.

    Regards, Andrzej

  5. Re: OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems

    Andrzej Sydorko wrote:
    > "syn_NOSPAM_uw" wrote in message
    > news:9ee43$447d30aa$5449d3ca$27132@news.hispeed.ch ...
    >

    >>Miod Vallat wrote:
    >>

    >>>Do you have, a few lines before the installation prompt, a ``vgafb0:
    >>>failed to find all ports'' message?

    >>Yes this is correct, I can see the line "vgafb0: failed to find all ports"
    >>when booting.
    >>

    >>>If so, you will need to install using a serial console, or boot with the
    >>>-c option, and disable vgafb and ohci, to force using the PROM interface
    >>>for console (a fix for this problem has been commited in -CURRENT).

    >>I tryed to do that and I could succesfully install OpenBSD 3.9 but then
    >>when it's installed and I want to use it, I have got the same problem. I
    >>get a login prompt but impossible to give any input. What can I do at that
    >>stage ?
    >>
    >>This means this bug will be fixed in the next release, OpenBSD 4.0 ?
    >>
    >>Regards

    > Remember I had this problem.
    > In my case, I had a PCI graphic adapter.
    > I took it out and everything worked ok, using the onboard graphic.
    >
    > Regards, Andrzej

    I have the same problem with v3.9 in amd64 with Linksys KVM:
    no keyboard after boot. This occurred after upgrading from v3.8

    However, if I press enter several time during dmesg -messages
    of the boot sequence keyboard IS active when the logon -prompt arrives.

    -pekka-

  6. Re: OpenBSD 3.9 on sparc64 - keyboard problems

    > I tryed to do that and I could succesfully install OpenBSD 3.9 but then
    > when it's installed and I want to use it, I have got the same problem. I
    > get a login prompt but impossible to give any input. What can I do at
    > that stage ?

    Either stick to serial console, or backport
    sys/arch/sparc64/dev/vgafb_pci.c 1.45 to the 3.9 codebase, or use a
    -current snapshot.

    > This means this bug will be fixed in the next release, OpenBSD 4.0 ?

    Yes.

+ Reply to Thread