Installing to HP NetServer LH3R with RAID - BSD

This is a discussion on Installing to HP NetServer LH3R with RAID - BSD ; Picked up a used one of the above for eighty bucks (dual PII-400, 1GB RAM). It has a NetRAID controller with five 18GB disks and a single 9GB one. When I boot cd39.iso, I get "no disks found" when it ...

  1. Installing to HP NetServer LH3R with RAID

    Picked up a used one of the above for eighty bucks (dual PII-400, 1GB
    RAM). It has a NetRAID controller with five 18GB disks and a single
    9GB one. When I boot cd39.iso, I get "no disks found" when it comes
    time to install. I know that RAID requires a custom kernel, but how
    does one install then? Is there a boot parameter I need to pass? I'm
    completely new to the "bigger iron" having only worked on desktop
    machines thus far.

    Any help would be appreciated as always.

  2. Re: Installing to HP NetServer LH3R with RAID

    sealinux@gmail.com wrote:
    > Picked up a used one of the above for eighty bucks (dual PII-400, 1GB
    > RAM). It has a NetRAID controller with five 18GB disks and a single
    > 9GB one. When I boot cd39.iso, I get "no disks found" when it comes
    > time to install. I know that RAID requires a custom kernel, but how
    > does one install then? Is there a boot parameter I need to pass? I'm
    > completely new to the "bigger iron" having only worked on desktop
    > machines thus far.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated as always.

    I have one of those still waiting for some developer (niklas@?) to claim
    it. ISTR disabling the NetRAID stuff entirely to get it to boot (this
    was 3.8). A quick web search suggests this is not necessary - I never
    did much with this machine, mostly because it's big and noisy. And it
    would work in an office with six or more people, six desktops, another
    server, a firewall, and an assortment of laptops.

    Note that there is a difference between software RAID, via RAIDframe,
    which requires a custom kernel, and hardware RAID. Hardware RAID does
    require a driver, but otherwise just produces a block device (i.e.,
    disk) which happens to be backed by the RAID card, and thus be spread
    over several physical disks.

    Most drivers are built-in to the kernel. Not everything has a driver, of
    course, and the Adaptec driver - aac(4) - was very publicly removed
    after numerous problems with Adaptec relating to getting documentation.

    However, from a quick web search, it appears you want the ami(4) driver.
    This is stable driver, part of the default kernel, and, I'd guess,
    cd39.iso. A lot of work has gone into it since 3.9, so you might even
    want to try -current for this box.

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread