nv driver and xinerama - BSD

This is a discussion on nv driver and xinerama - BSD ; I installed OpenBSD 3.9 on my main system tonight. (x86 platform ... AMD Athlon XP CPU) Everything is going fairly well so far but I'm unable to get both of my LCD screens working. I have an AGP NVidia GeForce ...

  1. nv driver and xinerama

    I installed OpenBSD 3.9 on my main system tonight. (x86 platform ...
    AMD Athlon XP CPU)

    Everything is going fairly well so far but I'm unable to get both of my
    LCD screens working. I have an AGP NVidia GeForce 6600GT with dual DVI
    output.

    When running this machine under Linux, I use the proprietary NVidia
    driver and use TwinView to get both screens working. But since the
    driver isn't available for OpenBSD, I'm trying to just use the "nv"
    driver and Xinerama (instead of TwinView).

    I guess my main question is ... is this even possible? Does the plain
    nv driver allow someone to drive two monitors from a single video card?

  2. Re: nv driver and xinerama

    blixel@gmail.com wrote:
    > I installed OpenBSD 3.9 on my main system tonight. (x86 platform ...
    > AMD Athlon XP CPU)
    >
    > Everything is going fairly well so far but I'm unable to get both of my
    > LCD screens working. I have an AGP NVidia GeForce 6600GT with dual DVI
    > output.
    >
    > When running this machine under Linux, I use the proprietary NVidia
    > driver and use TwinView to get both screens working. But since the
    > driver isn't available for OpenBSD, I'm trying to just use the "nv"
    > driver and Xinerama (instead of TwinView).

    This speaks directly to the "Blob" issue that is the theme for OBSD 3.9.
    Graphic adaptor companies are reluctant to offer documentation, and
    these devices tend to be highly custom. That implies that someone has
    to reverse-engineer the adaptor to write a driver.

    > I guess my main question is ... is this even possible? Does the plain
    > nv driver allow someone to drive two monitors from a single video card?

    Dunno. Sorry.

  3. Re: nv driver and xinerama

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 22:25:59 -0700, blixel@gmail.com wrote:

    > I installed OpenBSD 3.9 on my main system tonight. (x86 platform ...
    > AMD Athlon XP CPU)

    Did you have to use any special parameters to get it to boot?

    > Everything is going fairly well so far but I'm unable to get both of my
    > LCD screens working. I have an AGP NVidia GeForce 6600GT with dual DVI
    > output.

    Are both outputs turned on simultaneously? (Just checking.)

    > When running this machine under Linux, I use the proprietary NVidia
    > driver and use TwinView to get both screens working. But since the
    > driver isn't available for OpenBSD, I'm trying to just use the "nv"
    > driver and Xinerama (instead of TwinView).
    >
    > I guess my main question is ... is this even possible? Does the plain
    > nv driver allow someone to drive two monitors from a single video card?

    Just as a datapoint: it apparently does under Linux. I haven't used it
    myself, but Fedora 5 offered to set up multiple monitors for me when I
    installed it on my nVidia-based portable...OpenBSD won't boot on that
    machine (*sniff*).

    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic

  4. Re: nv driver and xinerama

    > > I installed OpenBSD 3.9 on my main system tonight. (x86 platform ...
    > > AMD Athlon XP CPU)

    > Did you have to use any special parameters to get it to boot?

    No.

    > > Everything is going fairly well so far but I'm unable to get both of my
    > > LCD screens working. I have an AGP NVidia GeForce 6600GT with dual DVI
    > > output.

    > Are both outputs turned on simultaneously? (Just checking.)

    I'm not entirely sure what you mean. When I turn the computer on, I
    get output on both screens. By default the video card clones the
    output to both monitors. When I leave the command prompt and go to X
    via startx, the two screens then become separate. Under Linux anyway.
    Under OpenBSD though, when I "startx", only my right side monitor is
    usable. The left side monitor just displays garbage.

    > > When running this machine under Linux, I use the proprietary NVidia
    > > driver and use TwinView to get both screens working. But since the
    > > driver isn't available for OpenBSD, I'm trying to just use the "nv"
    > > driver and Xinerama (instead of TwinView).
    > >
    > > I guess my main question is ... is this even possible? Does the plain
    > > nv driver allow someone to drive two monitors from a single video card?

    > Just as a datapoint: it apparently does under Linux. I haven't used it
    > myself, but Fedora 5 offered to set up multiple monitors for me when I
    > installed it on my nVidia-based portable...OpenBSD won't boot on that
    > machine (*sniff*).

    I'm currently running Gentoo Linux on my main system. There wasn't any
    kind of setup tool for configuring TwinView. I just read the NVidia
    docs and figured it out with a little trial and error.

+ Reply to Thread