OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working - BSD

This is a discussion on OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working - BSD ; I've made of fresh install OpenBSD 3.9, and I've noticed Kivio (Flowchart and Diagram editor from KOffice) does not start in this release. It worked fine in earlier releases. Attempts to start the application give the following error, and the ...

  1. OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working

    I've made of fresh install OpenBSD 3.9, and I've noticed Kivio (Flowchart
    and Diagram editor from KOffice) does not start in this release. It worked
    fine in earlier releases. Attempts to start the application give the
    following error, and the application exits.

    koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Cannot load specified object

    Anyone else notice this problem? Find a solution? All the other KOffice
    applications seem to work fine.

  2. Re: OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working

    beaker wrote:
    > I've made of fresh install OpenBSD 3.9, and I've noticed Kivio (Flowchart
    > and Diagram editor from KOffice) does not start in this release. It worked
    > fine in earlier releases. Attempts to start the application give the
    > following error, and the application exits.
    >
    > koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Cannot load specified object
    >
    > Anyone else notice this problem? Find a solution? All the other KOffice
    > applications seem to work fine.

    I'm not particularly fond of KDE, but what are the errors loading up to
    this? What are you trying to do? The above is not exactly helpful...

    Joachim

  3. Re: OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working

    >> koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Cannot load specified object
    >>

    > I'm not particularly fond of KDE, but what are the errors loading up to
    > this? What are you trying to do? The above is not exactly helpful...
    >
    > Joachim

    It really isn't very helpful at all is it? Unfortunately that is the only
    error message. I open a console, type 'kivio', the disk rattles for a bit,
    the error message I mentioned appears, and that is it (the application
    exited with an error status of 1 if I try from gdb). Same thing when click
    on the icon -- except the error message appears in the .xsession-errors
    file.

    If you are running 3.9, does the application work for you? (i.e. is it just
    my system?). Thanks!

  4. Re: OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working

    beaker wrote:
    >>> koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Cannot load specified object
    >>>

    >> I'm not particularly fond of KDE, but what are the errors loading up to
    >> this? What are you trying to do? The above is not exactly helpful...
    >>

    > It really isn't very helpful at all is it? Unfortunately that is the only
    > error message. I open a console, type 'kivio', the disk rattles for a bit,
    > the error message I mentioned appears, and that is it (the application
    > exited with an error status of 1 if I try from gdb). Same thing when click
    > on the icon -- except the error message appears in the .xsession-errors
    > file.

    The app is trying to handle a terrible runtime error as much as it can.
    It's up to the operator to dig around and find out more clues.

    Anything logged in the system log? Can you get a callstack from gdb?

    I don't know anything about KDE, but if there is such a lib as
    "*kofficecore*" found in an executable path, what does ldd report on it?

    (I'm assuming, possible incorrectly, that the error is a result of a
    missing library or resource via the dynamic linker.)

  5. Re: OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working

    beaker wrote:
    >>> koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Cannot load specified object
    >>>

    >> I'm not particularly fond of KDE, but what are the errors loading up to
    >> this? What are you trying to do? The above is not exactly helpful...
    >>
    >> Joachim

    > It really isn't very helpful at all is it? Unfortunately that is the only
    > error message. I open a console, type 'kivio', the disk rattles for a bit,
    > the error message I mentioned appears, and that is it (the application
    > exited with an error status of 1 if I try from gdb). Same thing when click
    > on the icon -- except the error message appears in the .xsession-errors
    > file.
    >
    > If you are running 3.9, does the application work for you? (i.e. is it just
    > my system?). Thanks!

    I run -current, so my results may not be directly applicable. I'll try
    to test it soon, but I am quite busy (and away over the weekend). Plus
    I'm currently upgrading the system, and am not sure how X likes being
    run with half the libraries from a snapshot and half from a local
    compile, so that would skew the results anyway.

    Joachim

  6. Re: OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working

    beaker wrote:
    >>> koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Cannot load specified object
    >>>

    >> I'm not particularly fond of KDE, but what are the errors loading up to
    >> this? What are you trying to do? The above is not exactly helpful...
    >>
    >> Joachim

    > It really isn't very helpful at all is it? Unfortunately that is the only
    > error message. I open a console, type 'kivio', the disk rattles for a bit,
    > the error message I mentioned appears, and that is it (the application
    > exited with an error status of 1 if I try from gdb). Same thing when click
    > on the icon -- except the error message appears in the .xsession-errors
    > file.
    >
    > If you are running 3.9, does the application work for you? (i.e. is it just
    > my system?). Thanks!

    Of course, as soons as you hit 'post', you get another idea...

    You don't happen to sit on something non-i386, for instance amd64, do
    you? Many applications have some bugs that manifest on 64-bit
    architectures...

    Joachim

  7. Re: OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working

    I'm running 3.9-stable on a boring i386 machine (450 Mhz PIII) -- about as
    unexotic as systems come. As a note, I have added /usr/local/lib/kde3 to my
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and it doesn't seem to be a problem finding a library
    anyway (perhaps finding something else). Oddly, kivio is the only KOffice
    application that isn't running as far as I can tell. I also tried a
    completely fresh set of kde configuration files by recursively deleting
    ~./.kde

    Hmm ... the only thing different about my setup is my
    /etc/fonts/local.conf (I really hate seeing non-antialiased fonts mixed in
    with my antialiased fonts -- so I've configured that out). I don't think
    that is it, but I'll test without now that it has occurred to me and post
    if it makes any difference.

  8. Re: OBSD 3.9 Kivio (KOffice) not working

    > The app is trying to handle a terrible runtime error as much as it can.
    > It's up to the operator to dig around and find out more clues.
    >
    > Anything logged in the system log? Can you get a callstack from gdb?
    >
    > I don't know anything about KDE, but if there is such a lib as
    > "*kofficecore*" found in an executable path, what does ldd report on it?
    >
    > (I'm assuming, possible incorrectly, that the error is a result of a
    > missing library or resource via the dynamic linker.)

    There is nothing in the system logs that is related unfortunately. There is
    a kofficecore library in the library path (which I assume is what you
    mean). Of course LDD would not report anything on a library (since it isn't
    an executable), but I've attached the output on kivio. I can't get a
    traceback because the program exits (it doesn't crash). I guess I'd need to
    recompile (possibly more than just the app) with debugging information and
    step through to find out anything more ... ouch. I'd be happy just to know
    it wasn't just my system!

    $ ldd kivio
    kivio:
    Start End Type Open Ref GrpRef Name
    00000000 00000000 exe 1 0 0 kivio
    0a690000 2a694000 rlib 0 1
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkdeinit_kivio.so
    0f5da000 2f5ea000 rlib 0 2
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkofficecore.so.3.0
    0c4a2000 2c4a7000 rlib 0 3 0 /usr/local/lib/libkwmf.so.3.0
    09b4f000 29b5a000 rlib 0 3 0 /usr/local/lib/libkabc.so.4.0
    00c13000 20c19000 rlib 0 4
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkresources.so.4.0
    03946000 2394b000 rlib 0 4
    0 /usr/local/lib/libvcard.so.1.0
    00aca000 20ae7000 rlib 0 3
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkdeprint.so.7.0
    07888000 27893000 rlib 0 4
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkparts.so.4.0
    02e13000 22e17000 rlib 0 3
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkowmf.so.2.0
    023fb000 223ff000 rlib 0 3
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkstore.so.3.0
    07feb000 28035000 rlib 0 8 0 /usr/local/lib/libkio.so.7.0
    0d86e000 2d872000 rlib 0 9
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkwalletclient.so.2.0
    08a9d000 28aa1000 rlib 0 9
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkdesu.so.7.0
    0efbe000 2f009000 rlib 0 9
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkdeui.so.7.0
    0860b000 28633000 rlib 0 15
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkdecore.so.7.0
    0e2aa000 2e2b1000 rlib 0 16
    0 /usr/local/lib/libkdefx.so.7.0
    04a93000 24a97000 rlib 0 21
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.4.1
    02ac9000 22acd000 rlib 0 16
    0 /usr/local/lib/libart_lgpl_2.so.5.17
    02fb1000 22fb5000 rlib 0 16 0 /usr/lib/libutil.so.11.0
    054d5000 254dd000 rlib 0 16
    0 /usr/local/lib/libDCOP.so.7.0
    0cfa3000 2cfac000 rlib 0 18 0 /usr/lib/libpthread.so.6.2
    07cab000 27cb2000 rlib 0 22 0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.8.1
    05122000 25126000 rlib 0 21 0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.8.0
    0fd6d000 2fdb9000 rlib 0 30 0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.9.0
    076bf000 276c3000 rlib 0 28
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.9.0
    0e050000 2e058000 rlib 0 19 0 /usr/lib/libz.so.4.1
    0fce5000 2fcec000 rlib 0 19 0 /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.4.2
    038d1000 238d7000 rlib 0 19
    0 /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0
    0ace1000 2ade7000 rlib 0 18
    0 /usr/local/lib/libqt-mt.so.30.0
    08577000 2859d000 rlib 0 1 0 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.42.0
    02a51000 22a58000 rlib 0 20 0 /usr/lib/libm.so.2.1
    0c4b9000 2c4ea000 rlib 0 1 0 /usr/lib/libc.so.39.0
    0b277000 2b27f000 rlib 0 1 0 /usr/local/lib/libmng.so.3.0
    0d691000 2d69c000 rlib 0 1
    0 /usr/local/lib/liblcms.so.1.12
    0dfd8000 2dfeb000 rlib 0 1 0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.4.0
    0d231000 2d236000 rlib 0 1 0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.9.0
    0880a000 2880e000 rlib 0 1 0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.9.0
    070f8000 270fb000 rlib 0 1
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrandr.so.5.0
    02ce9000 22ced000 rlib 0 1
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXcursor.so.3.0
    00eda000 20ede000 rlib 0 1
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.4.0
    000ec000 200f0000 rlib 0 1 0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.6.0
    093c2000 293de000 rlib 0 3
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.13.1
    0b259000 2b269000 rlib 0 2
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.3.0
    0f6b0000 2f6bc000 rlib 0 1 0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.9.0
    02c25000 22c28000 rlib 0 1
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfixes.so.4.0
    09410000 29419000 rlib 0 2
    0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libexpat.so.5.0
    0c4b2000 0c4b2000 rtld 0 1 0 /usr/libexec/ld.so

+ Reply to Thread