"Remote SSH Client Via Web SSL"? - BSD

This is a discussion on "Remote SSH Client Via Web SSL"? - BSD ; All: I'm looking to provide a simple SSH client accessible over HTTPS that can be used to make an SSH connection from the web server the client is hosted on to a local machine on the web server's attached networks. ...

  1. "Remote SSH Client Via Web SSL"?

    All:

    I'm looking to provide a simple SSH client accessible over HTTPS
    that can be used to make an SSH connection from the web server the
    client is hosted on to a local machine on the web server's attached
    networks. I'm acutely aware of inherent security risks, etc., etc.
    - it's something locally I want to get done. Essentially, I'm
    trying to get access to a shell host on the same networks as the web
    server via an SSL'd web page using an SSH client provided by the web
    server, such that the web server is making the connection on behalf
    of the connected web client (I know that was a mouthful!)

    I'm looking for a lightweight web server that might support this too,
    using Apache only if I need to.

    Any ideas?

    Unfortunately, direct SSH connectivity isn't really an option for me
    in this setup.

    Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

    /dmfh

    ----
    __| |_ __ / _| |_ ____ __
    dmfh @ / _` | ' \| _| ' \ _ / _\ \ /
    \__,_|_|_|_|_| |_||_| (_) \__/_\_\
    ----

  2. Re: "Remote SSH Client Via Web SSL"?

    DMFH wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > I'm looking to provide a simple SSH client accessible over HTTPS
    > that can be used to make an SSH connection from the web server the
    > client is hosted on to a local machine on the web server's attached
    > networks. I'm acutely aware of inherent security risks, etc., etc.
    > - it's something locally I want to get done. Essentially, I'm
    > trying to get access to a shell host on the same networks as the web
    > server via an SSL'd web page using an SSH client provided by the web
    > server, such that the web server is making the connection on behalf
    > of the connected web client (I know that was a mouthful!)
    >
    > I'm looking for a lightweight web server that might support this too,
    > using Apache only if I need to.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Unfortunately, direct SSH connectivity isn't really an option for me
    > in this setup.
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

    Well, I'd say that is not a very good idea, but since you already seem
    quite aware of that...

    Secondly, there are probably other solutions, which might be better.
    However, you very explicitly didn't ask about those.

    So, I'll just point you in the direction of MindTerm. The license is a
    bit funky, and I'd advise reading it well, but a quick look suggests it
    should be free as in beer.

    No clue about webservers, though.

    Joachim

  3. Re: "Remote SSH Client Via Web SSL"?

    DMFH wrote:

    > I'm looking to provide a simple SSH client accessible over HTTPS
    > that can be used to make an SSH connection from the web server the
    > client is hosted on to a local machine on the web server's attached
    > networks. I'm acutely aware of inherent security risks, etc., etc.
    > - it's something locally I want to get done. Essentially, I'm
    > trying to get access to a shell host on the same networks as the web
    > server via an SSL'd web page using an SSH client provided by the web
    > server, such that the web server is making the connection on behalf
    > of the connected web client (I know that was a mouthful!)

    I'm a little fuzzy on what you want. SSH access via a web interface?
    If so, one of your first stops will be a Java applet like

    Otherwise, you've lost me.

  4. Re: "Remote SSH Client Via Web SSL"?

    On Mon, 8 May 2006 17:54:23 -0400, DMFH wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > I'm looking to provide a simple SSH client accessible over HTTPS
    > that can be used to make an SSH connection from the web server the
    > client is hosted on to a local machine on the web server's attached
    > networks. I'm acutely aware of inherent security risks, etc., etc.
    > - it's something locally I want to get done. Essentially, I'm
    > trying to get access to a shell host on the same networks as the web
    > server via an SSL'd web page using an SSH client provided by the web
    > server, such that the web server is making the connection on behalf
    > of the connected web client (I know that was a mouthful!)

    Is this what you had in mind?
    http://anyterm.org/

    I tried and failed to get that to run on OpenBSD. (I didn't try very hard
    though.) It'll run on Linux pretty easily though from what I hear.

+ Reply to Thread