BayStack 300 security ramifications - BSD

This is a discussion on BayStack 300 security ramifications - BSD ; I just picked up a BayStack 300 for $25 today. I'm thinking about using it for everything behind my firewall. I have a four-legged firewall (external, clients, DMZ, protected server) and am wondering what the security ramifications of plugging the ...

  1. BayStack 300 security ramifications

    I just picked up a BayStack 300 for $25 today. I'm thinking about
    using it for everything behind my firewall. I have a four-legged
    firewall (external, clients, DMZ, protected server) and am wondering
    what the security ramifications of plugging the latter three interfaces
    and all of the servers into the same switch. If this were a hub, this
    would be a Very Bad Idea, but, as I understand, a switch will route the
    traffic from point A to point B only.

    Any help, as always, is appreciated. What a great community.

  2. Re: BayStack 300 security ramifications

    sealinux@gmail.com wrote:
    > I just picked up a BayStack 300 for $25 today. I'm thinking about
    > using it for everything behind my firewall. I have a four-legged
    > firewall (external, clients, DMZ, protected server) and am wondering
    > what the security ramifications of plugging the latter three interfaces
    > and all of the servers into the same switch. If this were a hub, this
    > would be a Very Bad Idea, but, as I understand, a switch will route the
    > traffic from point A to point B only.
    >
    > Any help, as always, is appreciated. What a great community.

    A good, managed switch should not be vulnerable to some of the more
    likely attacks like ARP flooding.

    That said, there might be ways to get the networks to interact; ARP
    flooding is one well-known attack which will cause some switches to
    degrade into a hub.

    All in all, it depends on the model, and I do not know anything about
    it...

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread