Disc mounting problem - BSD

This is a discussion on Disc mounting problem - BSD ; Okay, on my firewall, I had a really teeny HDD (1GB or so) that was quickly filled when I ignorantly downloaded the patch branch of the source tree. I thought I would either (1) image the old drive onto the ...

  1. Disc mounting problem

    Okay, on my firewall, I had a really teeny HDD (1GB or so) that was
    quickly filled when I ignorantly downloaded the patch branch of the
    source tree. I thought I would either (1) image the old drive onto the
    new using dd or somesuch, or (2) mount the old drive as a secondary.

    OpenBSD went nuts when I tried (2). I got a number of "DEVICE NOT
    CONFIGURED" errors and ultimately it flat refused to boot. I had to
    reinstall (I know, I know . . . ) Trouble is, I wanted to get all of
    my working config files from the old drive, but couldn't and so had to
    reinvent the wheel.

    How can I mount this drive without OpenBSD going nuts? How can I add a
    drive to one of my machines in the future without this happening?

  2. Re: Disc mounting problem

    wrote in message
    news:1146508143.568226.268980@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Okay, on my firewall, I had a really teeny HDD (1GB or so) that was
    > quickly filled when I ignorantly downloaded the patch branch of the
    > source tree. I thought I would either (1) image the old drive onto the
    > new using dd or somesuch, or (2) mount the old drive as a secondary.
    >
    > OpenBSD went nuts when I tried (2). I got a number of "DEVICE NOT
    > CONFIGURED" errors and ultimately it flat refused to boot. I had to
    > reinstall (I know, I know . . . ) Trouble is, I wanted to get all of
    > my working config files from the old drive, but couldn't and so had to
    > reinvent the wheel.
    >
    > How can I mount this drive without OpenBSD going nuts? How can I add a
    > drive to one of my machines in the future without this happening?

    Adding a drive shouldn't be a problem - I've added drives many times. I
    presume you've done the obvious things, like ensure master/slave jumpers are
    correctly set. I also presume that "mounting the old drive as a secondary"
    means you've added a new primary drive (with the old secondary
    disconnected), cleared any old partitions, and started over reinstalling
    OpenBSD *before* re-adding the secondary. Otherwise, I'm not sure where
    you're booting from - a floppy? Certainly a blank primary drive and a
    secondary with a bootable OS on it could get a little confusing....

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  3. Re: Disc mounting problem

    Steve at fivetrees wrote:

    > Adding a drive shouldn't be a problem - I've added drives many times. I
    > presume you've done the obvious things, like ensure master/slave jumpers are
    > correctly set. I also presume that "mounting the old drive as a secondary"
    > means you've added a new primary drive (with the old secondary
    > disconnected), cleared any old partitions, and started over reinstalling
    > OpenBSD *before* re-adding the secondary. Otherwise, I'm not sure where
    > you're booting from - a floppy? Certainly a blank primary drive and a
    > secondary with a bootable OS on it could get a little confusing....

    Here's what I did. I pulled the old drive and installed the new. I
    installed OpenBSD on it. Then, I reconnected the old drive as a
    primary slave. I thought I could mount the old drive from the new and
    then copy files as needed.

+ Reply to Thread