pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails - BSD

This is a discussion on pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails - BSD ; _____ Hello all, Last year i installed OpenBSD 3.6 from CD and the main ftp site in Alberta, CANADA last year. All has been working well. Yesterday, i tried to install mozilla-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz (Oct 03, 2005) from above ftp site, but ...

  1. pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    _____
    Hello all,

    Last year i installed OpenBSD 3.6 from CD and the main ftp site in
    Alberta, CANADA last year. All has been working well.

    Yesterday, i tried to install mozilla-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz (Oct 03, 2005)
    from above ftp site, but it failed with message "Unknown element:
    @depend audio/esound:esound-0.2.*:esound-0.2.34" message.

    But the esound package is already installed (pkg_info | grep sound -->
    esound-0.2.34 sound library for Enlightenment).

    I tried to force the installation with "pkg_add -f conflicts
    mozilla-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz ". This did not work

    What am i missing?

    Regards / jch

  2. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    jch wrote:

    > Last year i installed OpenBSD 3.6 from CD and the main ftp site in
    > Alberta, CANADA last year. All has been working well.
    > Yesterday, i tried to install mozilla-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz (Oct 03, 2005)

    afaics this is a package for OpenBSD3.8. This won't work with 3.6. You may
    want to upgrade to 3.8 or use mozilla1.6.

    Helmut

  3. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > jch wrote:
    >
    >> Last year i installed OpenBSD 3.6 from CD and the main ftp site in
    >> Alberta, CANADA last year. All has been working well.
    >> Yesterday, i tried to install mozilla-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz (Oct 03, 2005)

    > afaics this is a package for OpenBSD3.8. This won't work with 3.6. You
    > may want to upgrade to 3.8 or use mozilla 1.6.

    _____
    Fair enough. But this particular package is listed in the obsd 3.6
    package repository on the ftp site in Alberta. If it is for obsd 3.8 it
    should _not_ be in the 3.6 repository.

    When a package is included in the package repository it must work for
    that version of obsd. If it does not, then i consider that as a big
    concern.

    / jch

  4. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    jch (cnx@nowhere.com) wrote:
    > Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> jch wrote:
    >>
    >>> Last year i installed OpenBSD 3.6 from CD and the main ftp site in
    >>> Alberta, CANADA last year. All has been working well.
    >>> Yesterday, i tried to install mozilla-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz (Oct 03, 2005)

    >> afaics this is a package for OpenBSD3.8. This won't work with 3.6. You
    >> may want to upgrade to 3.8 or use mozilla 1.6.

    > _____
    > Fair enough. But this particular package is listed in the obsd 3.6
    > package repository on the ftp site in Alberta. If it is for obsd 3.8 it
    > should _not_ be in the 3.6 repository.

    Have a link?

    --
    Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well

  5. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    On 05/02/06 3:58 AM, Helmut Schneider wrote:

    > Have a link?

    $ ftp ftp.ca.openbsd.org
    Connected to openbsd.sunsite.ualberta.ca.
    [server response trimmed]
    230- Login Successful.
    230 Your data rate unrestricted
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp> cd pub/OpenBSD/3.6/packages/i386
    250 Directory successfully changed.
    ftp> ls *mozilla*
    500 Unknown command.
    227 Entering Passive Mode (129,128,5,191,171,76)
    150 Have a Gorilla.
    -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 16510936 Sep 03 2004 mozilla-1.6.tgz
    -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 15444514 Oct 03 2005 mozilla-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz
    -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 15385115 Oct 03 2005 mozilla-1.7.12.tgz
    -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 17263234 Sep 03 2004 mozilla-devel-1.6.tgz
    -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 14691979 Oct 03 2005 mozilla-devel-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz
    -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 14580682 Oct 03 2005 mozilla-devel-1.7.12.tgz
    -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 12488368 Sep 03 2004 mozilla-firefox-0.8p1.tgz
    -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 13930369 Sep 03 2004 mozilla-thunderbird-0.5.tgz
    226 There, everyone likes a Gorilla.

    The 1.7.12 packages were put there nearly a year after 3.6 was released,
    and from the error message the original poster got I wonder if they
    might be there by mistake. Although they don't seem to correspond to any
    of the 1.7.12 packages in 3.7 or 3.8.

    On the other hand, 3.6 is no longer maintained or supported, and 3.9 was
    just released yesterday, so the best (and easiest, I think) course of
    action is probably to install 3.9...

    --
    Chris Odorjan - codorjan@gmail.com - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

  6. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    Chris Odorjan wrote:

    >>Have a link?

    > -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 15444514 Oct 03 2005 mozilla-1.7.12-gtk2.tgz
    > -r--r--r-- 1 12187 1114 15385115 Oct 03 2005 mozilla-1.7.12.tgz

    > The 1.7.12 packages were put there nearly a year after 3.6 was released,
    > and from the error message the original poster got I wonder if they
    > might be there by mistake. Although they don't seem to correspond to any
    > of the 1.7.12 packages in 3.7 or 3.8.
    >
    > On the other hand, 3.6 is no longer maintained or supported, and 3.9 was
    > just released yesterday, so the best (and easiest, I think) course of
    > action is probably to install 3.9...

    _____
    Chris,

    Thanks for your input. I will consider buying the 3.9 CD.

    Packages are commonly added to the ftp site(s) after the release date of
    the CD of any given obsd distribution. This is fine. But if we as
    users of obsd get into trouble with mismatched packages such as the one
    i ran into with mozilla, there is a problem with synchronisation of the
    dependencies. I consider that poor quality control, and cause for concern.

    I could install the original mozilla package as shipped on the 3.6 CD
    (browser/email client combo) and live with it. Unfortunately, there are
    some (known) problems with that version of mozilla (try
    http://terrenus.ca/). Some text boxes show, then collapse, making it
    impossible to browse sites of that kind. It is that sort of behaviour i
    tried to eliminate.

    As i said, upgrading has not worked well for me at all, so i tend to
    reinstall a new copy, put all the applications back on, and finish my
    customisations of the various config files. This is a lot of work. I
    am not aware of a quick way to reinstall all my applications on a new
    release using a list from pkg_info. I do have a bash script that will
    do this for the _same_ distribution, not for a new one where the version
    numbers of the packages differ from the earlier releases.

    I am actually building an obsd machine that can act as a _full_
    replacement of my red hat linux system. Obsd should be able to support
    _all_ the functionality i require on my desktop. I was almost there
    until i ran into the mozilla package problem. So far, i am running obsd
    (2.6) since its release in 2000 as a firewall (one disk failure only).
    Since February 2006 i now also run an obsd (3.6) file (nfs, samba) and
    backup (amanda) server to support windows-2k, linux, OS/2, and other
    obsd machines.

    / jch

  7. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    jch wrote:
    > Chris Odorjan wrote:

    > As i said, upgrading has not worked well for me at all, so i tend to
    > reinstall a new copy, put all the applications back on, and finish my
    > customisations of the various config files. This is a lot of work. I
    > am not aware of a quick way to reinstall all my applications on a new
    > release using a list from pkg_info. I do have a bash script that will
    > do this for the _same_ distribution, not for a new one where the version
    > numbers of the packages differ from the earlier releases.

    This is much, much easier in 3.9. Combine it with something like
    merge{master,slave}, and you'll have the new machine up in no time. I
    was surprised, myself, how painless it was. And I took it all the way to
    -current...

    > I am actually building an obsd machine that can act as a _full_
    > replacement of my red hat linux system. Obsd should be able to support
    > _all_ the functionality i require on my desktop.

    Except modern games. You'll have to live with that, if that's a
    requirement for your desktop.

    Joachim

  8. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:

    >>As i said, upgrading has not worked well for me at all, so i tend to
    >>reinstall a new copy, put all the applications back on, and finish my
    >>customisations of the various config files. This is a lot of work. I
    >>am not aware of a quick way to reinstall all my applications on a new
    >>release using a list from pkg_info. I do have a bash script that will
    >>do this for the _same_ distribution, not for a new one where the version
    >>numbers of the packages differ from the earlier releases.

    > This is much, much easier in 3.9. Combine it with something like
    > merge{master,slave}, and you'll have the new machine up in no time. I
    > was surprised, myself, how painless it was. And I took it all the way to
    > -current...
    >

    >>I am actually building an obsd machine that can act as a _full_
    >>replacement of my red hat linux system. Obsd should be able to support
    >>_all_ the functionality i require on my desktop.

    > Except modern games. You'll have to live with that, if that's a
    > requirement for your desktop.

    _____
    Joachim,

    Thanks for your encouragement. Today i downloaded all i need to upgrade
    to the new 3.9 release. I am not familiar with the merge{master,slave}
    procedure you mentioned. I shall do some research to see what it means
    and how it is used. Perhaps you can show an example?

    I don't use games on _any_ of my machines, so a lack of games has no
    consequences. I do use xfig, pcb (compiled from source), gimp, xv,
    latex, rox (very good file manager), xpdf, acroread, ggv,
    fetchmail/procmail, gvim, open office, sound, xcdroast, glimpse (file
    indexing and searching program), and amanda. All these programs are
    available for obsd with the exception of acroread, open office and gvim.
    These can be made to run under the linux emulation package.

    / jch

  9. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    On 05/05/06 12:23 AM, jch wrote:

    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >
    >> Except modern games. You'll have to live with that, if that's a
    >> requirement for your desktop.

    Doom and Nethack are there, what more do you need? :-)

    > All these programs are
    > available for obsd with the exception of acroread, open office and gvim.
    > These can be made to run under the linux emulation package.

    gvim is in the gtk2 flavour of the vim package (vim-6.4.6p1-gtk2.tgz).
    But how did you get OpenOffice to work? It crashes on me once I try to
    edit a file.

    --
    Chris Odorjan - codorjan@gmail.com - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

  10. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    Chris Odorjan wrote:
    > On 05/05/06 12:23 AM, jch wrote:
    >
    >> jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >>
    >>> Except modern games. You'll have to live with that, if that's a
    >>> requirement for your desktop.

    > Doom and Nethack are there, what more do you need? :-)

    Well, I personally only install the latter. And no, I don't need much
    more - but some people do want it.

    Though ttyquake would be fun to fire up once in a while, to freak out
    people...

    >> All these programs are
    >> available for obsd with the exception of acroread, open office and gvim.
    >> These can be made to run under the linux emulation package.

    > gvim is in the gtk2 flavour of the vim package (vim-6.4.6p1-gtk2.tgz).
    > But how did you get OpenOffice to work? It crashes on me once I try to
    > edit a file.

    There are some problems with Java, but it should otherwise work. There
    are some 'howto'-style documents on the net, and a port (running under
    emulation) was posted to ports@openbsd.org post-3.9.

    Joachim

  11. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    jch wrote:
    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >
    >>>As i said, upgrading has not worked well for me at all, so i tend to
    >>>reinstall a new copy, put all the applications back on, and finish my
    >>>customisations of the various config files. This is a lot of work. I
    >>>am not aware of a quick way to reinstall all my applications on a new
    >>>release using a list from pkg_info. I do have a bash script that will
    >>>do this for the _same_ distribution, not for a new one where the version
    >>>numbers of the packages differ from the earlier releases.

    >> This is much, much easier in 3.9. Combine it with something like
    >> merge{master,slave}, and you'll have the new machine up in no time. I
    >> was surprised, myself, how painless it was. And I took it all the way to
    >> -current...
    >>

    >>>I am actually building an obsd machine that can act as a _full_
    >>>replacement of my red hat linux system. Obsd should be able to support
    >>>_all_ the functionality i require on my desktop.

    >> Except modern games. You'll have to live with that, if that's a
    >> requirement for your desktop.

    > _____
    > Joachim,
    >
    > Thanks for your encouragement. Today i downloaded all i need to upgrade
    > to the new 3.9 release. I am not familiar with the merge{master,slave}
    > procedure you mentioned. I shall do some research to see what it means
    > and how it is used. Perhaps you can show an example?

    It's basically a diff -u on steroids. You unpack etc39.tgz, and run
    mergemaster to compare your old installation and the new files. You
    then get to resolve the differences in a smart way.

    I don't have an example, but the man page should be enough. And it's in
    ports...

    > I don't use games on _any_ of my machines, so a lack of games has no
    > consequences. I do use xfig, pcb (compiled from source), gimp, xv,
    > latex, rox (very good file manager), xpdf, acroread, ggv,
    > fetchmail/procmail, gvim, open office, sound, xcdroast, glimpse (file
    > indexing and searching program), and amanda. All these programs are
    > available for obsd with the exception of acroread, open office and gvim.
    > These can be made to run under the linux emulation package.

    As pointed out, gvim works just fine. The others should, indeed, run
    under emulation.

    Joachim

  12. Re: pkg_add obsd3.6 mozilla-1.7.12 fails

    On 05/05/06 5:14 AM, jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:

    > Chris Odorjan wrote:
    >
    >>But how did you get OpenOffice to work? It crashes on me once I try to
    >>edit a file.

    > There are some problems with Java, but it should otherwise work. There
    > are some 'howto'-style documents on the net, and a port (running under
    > emulation) was posted to ports@openbsd.org post-3.9.

    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

    --
    Chris Odorjan - codorjan@gmail.com - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/