no route to host from the 3rd NIC - BSD

This is a discussion on no route to host from the 3rd NIC - BSD ; I have added a 3rd NIC to my openBSD 3.7 firewwall to connect it to a MS ISA server box, I have used a crossover cable to connect two NICs directly. ifconfig shows that the interface is active and up ...

  1. no route to host from the 3rd NIC

    I have added a 3rd NIC to my openBSD 3.7 firewwall to connect it to a
    MS ISA server box, I have used a crossover cable to connect two NICs
    directly.

    ifconfig shows that the interface is active and up and I also can ping
    openBSD machine
    from ISA server (windows machine) which means the physical connection
    is absolutely up and running but I can not ping the windows machine
    from my openBSD box and I get
    "no route to host" error.

    here is my OpenBSD connecion diagram:

    (sk0) 192.168.12.2
    ----------------------> internet

    / \
    / \
    / \
    / \
    / \
    LAN<-------- (sk1) (rl0)
    ------------------------------------------> ISA server
    192.168.0.5 192.168.2.2
    second Internet
    connection

    The internet connectivity using sk0 and sk1 link works perfectly.
    I have no idea why rl0 does not see the other side of connection but
    the other side can see it!

    can anybody help me please?

  2. Re: no route to host from the 3rd NIC

    deviation (cchhhhhoh@gmail.com) wrote:
    > I have added a 3rd NIC to my openBSD 3.7 firewwall to connect it to a
    > MS ISA server box, I have used a crossover cable to connect two NICs
    > directly.
    >
    > ifconfig shows that the interface is active and up and I also can ping
    > openBSD machine
    > from ISA server (windows machine) which means the physical connection
    > is absolutely up and running but I can not ping the windows machine
    > from my openBSD box and I get
    > "no route to host" error.

    Have a look at your pf.conf.

    HTH, Helmut

    --
    Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well

  3. Re: no route to host from the 3rd NIC

    my pf.conf is ok and let me ping through that interface
    i can see through tcpdump that ICMP requests are being sent and also on
    my WIN 2003
    I can see the packets being received but there is no reply neither for
    ping nor for any other service
    like web, I have added a rule to ISA to let these two boxes talk to
    each other, I have tried ISA shutdown and the same result.

    I have tried different NIC cards but no success, please somebody help
    me!!!!!

  4. Re: no route to host from the 3rd NIC

    deviation wrote:
    > I have added a 3rd NIC to my openBSD 3.7 firewwall to connect it to a
    > MS ISA server box, I have used a crossover cable to connect two NICs
    > directly.
    >
    > ifconfig shows that the interface is active and up and I also can ping
    > openBSD machine
    > from ISA server (windows machine) which means the physical connection
    > is absolutely up and running but I can not ping the windows machine
    > from my openBSD box and I get
    > "no route to host" error.
    >
    > here is my OpenBSD connecion diagram:
    >

    > (sk0) 192.168.12.2
    > ----------------------> internet
    > |
    > / \
    > / \
    > / \
    > / \
    > / \
    > LAN<-------- (sk1) (rl0)
    > ------------------------------------------> ISA server
    > 192.168.0.5 192.168.2.2
    > second Internet
    > connection
    >
    > The internet connectivity using sk0 and sk1 link works perfectly.
    > I have no idea why rl0 does not see the other side of connection but
    > the other side can see it!

    Please post the results of 'route show', and, for good measure,
    'ifconfig'.

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread