bridge0 problem with 100Mbps - BSD

This is a discussion on bridge0 problem with 100Mbps - BSD ; I have an openbsd with ipf, but even i have disabled pf, Ive seen that network bandwith pass through the bridge interface is limited to 10Mbps. i have difficulty in downloading files even on openbsd (internet addr on fxp0 ) ...

  1. bridge0 problem with 100Mbps

    I have an openbsd with ipf,

    but even i have disabled pf, Ive seen that network bandwith pass
    through the bridge interface is limited to 10Mbps.

    i have difficulty in downloading files even on openbsd (internet
    addr on fxp0 ) which bridge0 is running on, from the hosts connected to

    the switch network just behind the bridge0 (fxp1)
    at those times traffic over bridge is near to 10Mbps.

    In short, I think my birdge is runnning with 10Mbps. Is it max. rate
    for openbsd bridge ?
    How can i use a bridge with 100Mbps

    lo0: flags=8049 mtu 33224
    groups: lo
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
    fxp0: flags=8943 mtu
    1500
    lladdr 00:02:b3:15:95:eb
    groups: egress
    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
    status: active
    inet 212.154.34.81 netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast 212.154.34.127
    inet6 fe80::202:b3ff:fe15:95eb%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    fxp1: flags=8943 mtu
    1500
    lladdr 00:02:b3:16:e9:ec
    media: Ethernet 100baseTX full-duplex
    status: active
    inet6 fe80::202:b3ff:fe16:e9ec%fxp1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
    pflog0: flags=0<> mtu 33224
    pfsync0: flags=0<> mtu 1348
    enc0: flags=0<> mtu 1536
    bridge0: flags=41 mtu 1500
    groups: bridge

    wget output :
    28,920 2.57K/s ETA 6:35:09

  2. Re: bridge0 problem with 100Mbps

    ilker ARABACI wrote:
    > I have an openbsd with ipf,
    >

    > but even i have disabled pf, Ive seen that network bandwith pass
    > through the bridge interface is limited to 10Mbps.
    >

    > i have difficulty in downloading files even on openbsd (internet
    > addr on fxp0 ) which bridge0 is running on, from the hosts connected to
    >
    > the switch network just behind the bridge0 (fxp1)
    > at those times traffic over bridge is near to 10Mbps.
    >

    > In short, I think my birdge is runnning with 10Mbps. Is it max. rate
    > for openbsd bridge ?
    > How can i use a bridge with 100Mbps
    >

    > lo0: flags=8049 mtu 33224
    > groups: lo
    > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    > inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    > inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
    > fxp0: flags=8943 mtu
    > 1500
    > lladdr 00:02:b3:15:95:eb
    > groups: egress
    > media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
    > status: active
    > inet 212.154.34.81 netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast 212.154.34.127
    > inet6 fe80::202:b3ff:fe15:95eb%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    > fxp1: flags=8943 mtu
    > 1500
    > lladdr 00:02:b3:16:e9:ec
    > media: Ethernet 100baseTX full-duplex
    > status: active
    > inet6 fe80::202:b3ff:fe16:e9ec%fxp1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2

    Duplex mismatch?

    > pflog0: flags=0<> mtu 33224
    > pfsync0: flags=0<> mtu 1348
    > enc0: flags=0<> mtu 1536
    > bridge0: flags=41 mtu 1500
    > groups: bridge
    >

    > wget output :
    > 28,920 2.57K/s ETA 6:35:09

    Are you sure the host on the other side/your internet connection/... is
    faster than this?

    Aside from the problems mentioned above, though, it should be possible,
    provided that all the relevant equipment (switches, firewall host) is
    capable enough. Any vaguely modern computer should do, though.

    I'll freely admit to not knowing enough about bridges, though.

    Joachim

  3. Re: bridge0 problem with 100Mbps

    This is an internal traffic over ethernet switch and bridge in
    collacted network area.
    hosts connected to swtich can also comminicate with 100 Mbps with no
    problem.
    I have checked all of the hosts connected to bridge has 100Mbps and
    autoselect.

    fxp1 also connected as 100Mbps to switch behind birdge

    ---[internet]
    --100Mbps-----[fxp0---bridge0----fxp1]-----100Mbps-----|switch|---100Mbps----[hosts]

    but on the bridge there is max 10Mbps bw.

    is it common to bridge case ? or PROMISC mode. ? else ?

  4. Re: bridge0 problem with 100Mbps

    problem has been solved on reboot.
    after installtion I had tested bridge up to 80Mbps.

    i think the problem was because on of the monitor tools i used.

    may tcpdump or other pcap appz. cause this?

  5. Re: bridge0 problem with 100Mbps

    ilker ARABACI wrote:
    > problem has been solved on reboot.
    > after installtion I had tested bridge up to 80Mbps.
    >
    > i think the problem was because on of the monitor tools i used.
    >
    > may tcpdump or other pcap appz. cause this?

    You could try this.

    However, it does make sense. bpf(4) would create additional overhead,
    and a security-conscious system like OpenBSD is likely to choose to slow
    down network traffic instead of not sending everything to the monitor.

    Joachim

  6. Re: bridge0 problem with 100Mbps

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:

    > However, it does make sense. bpf(4) would create additional overhead,
    > and a security-conscious system like OpenBSD is likely to choose to slow
    > down network traffic instead of not sending everything to the monitor.

    or not. bpf is best effort, but can't do anything close to fast
    ethernet.

  7. Re: bridge0 problem with 100Mbps

    tedu wrote:
    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >
    >> However, it does make sense. bpf(4) would create additional overhead,
    >> and a security-conscious system like OpenBSD is likely to choose to slow
    >> down network traffic instead of not sending everything to the monitor.

    > or not. bpf is best effort, but can't do anything close to fast
    > ethernet.

    Okay, that makes sense, too.

    In the interest of provoking a RTFM, where is this documented? A casual
    reading of bpf(4) did not yield anything useful.

    Joachim

  8. Re: bridge0 problem with 100Mbps

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > tedu wrote:
    > > or not. bpf is best effort, but can't do anything close to fast
    > > ethernet.

    > Okay, that makes sense, too.
    >
    > In the interest of provoking a RTFM, where is this documented? A casual
    > reading of bpf(4) did not yield anything useful.

    search for BIOCGSTATS.

+ Reply to Thread