Kernel PPPoE up/down files - BSD

This is a discussion on Kernel PPPoE up/down files - BSD ; Hi, just a quick question I can't find any info on: Under userland ppp it was easy to run programs when the ppp link went up or down via ppp.linkup/linkdown. How to do it using the kernel PPPoE in openbsd ...

  1. Kernel PPPoE up/down files

    Hi, just a quick question I can't find any info on:

    Under userland ppp it was easy to run programs when the ppp link went
    up or down via ppp.linkup/linkdown.

    How to do it using the kernel PPPoE in openbsd 3.8?

    Thanks in advance --

    A bonus question for you: My DSL link drops with kernel pppoe yet did
    not with userland due to timeouts. You could increase the timeout in
    the options file I think for usrland pppoe, but how do you do it with
    the kernel pppoe?

  2. Re: Kernel PPPoE up/down files

    man 4 pppoe

  3. Re: Kernel PPPoE up/down files

    As much help as that post was . . . I read the man page before posting.

    I know you can run programs when the hostname.pppoe0 file first runs
    using the "!", but doesn't that just address what is done when the link
    is first brought up, and I was assuming that there was not an
    equivalent to ppp.linkdown, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't
    overlooked something.

    The other problem is really just because I have bad wiring and the DSL
    connection drops when the phone goes on or off hook. userland pppoe
    adjusted much faster to this it seemed. The kernel pppoe just quits
    responding and then comes back online several minutes after the link
    claims to be back in "Phase:network".

  4. Re: Kernel PPPoE up/down files

    ga_obsd wrote:
    > As much help as that post was . . . I read the man page before posting.
    >
    > I know you can run programs when the hostname.pppoe0 file first runs
    > using the "!", but doesn't that just address what is done when the link
    > is first brought up, and I was assuming that there was not an
    > equivalent to ppp.linkdown, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't
    > overlooked something.
    >
    > The other problem is really just because I have bad wiring and the DSL
    > connection drops when the phone goes on or off hook. userland pppoe
    > adjusted much faster to this it seemed. The kernel pppoe just quits
    > responding and then comes back online several minutes after the link
    > claims to be back in "Phase:network".

    Maybe ifstated(8) could be of assistance here?

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread