could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom - BSD

This is a discussion on could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom - BSD ; Hi, accidentially i have deleted /dev/arandom while configuring a chrooted bind9. furthermore, bind cannot use pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom, neither bind still works, my box does also. But i'm wondering, whether it will cause system damage on next reboot or ...

  1. could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom

    Hi,

    accidentially i have deleted /dev/arandom while configuring a chrooted
    bind9.
    furthermore, bind cannot use pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom,
    neither

    bind still works, my box does also.
    But i'm wondering, whether it will cause system damage on next reboot
    or any security or chrooted applicaitons, espacially ssh and
    ssl..Because it is a remote box, and used as mainly firewall.

    how can i regenerate /dev/araondom via mknod or copy from anothor host
    ?

    Thanks for help.

    ilker.arabaci
    Sysadm/ Turkey

  2. Re: could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom

    "iarabaci" writes:

    > how can i regenerate /dev/araondom via mknod or copy from anothor host
    > ?

    See if you can get the MAKEDEV script to do what you need

    20:11:56 delilah spamd[26905]: 146.151.48.74: disconnected after 36099 seconds.

  3. Re: could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom

    thank you very much..
    cd /usr/src/etc/etc.i386; sh MAKEDEV arandom ; mv arandom /dev/

    is that all ?

    i think there is nothing with that to break stability of my box.
    she looklikes as the first day she was burn

  4. Re: could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom

    On 04/07/06 7:33 AM, iarabaci wrote:

    > thank you very much..
    > cd /usr/src/etc/etc.i386; sh MAKEDEV arandom ; mv arandom /dev/
    >
    > is that all ?

    That will work, but note that MAKEDEV also lives in /dev:

    # cd /dev && sh ./MAKEDEV arandom

    --
    Chris Odorjan - codorjan@gmail.com - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

  5. Re: could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom

    Chris Odorjan wrote in news:smkig3-7si.ln1
    @bobnet.odorjan.ca:

    > On 04/07/06 7:33 AM, iarabaci wrote:
    >
    >> thank you very much..
    >> cd /usr/src/etc/etc.i386; sh MAKEDEV arandom ; mv arandom /dev/
    >>
    >> is that all ?

    > That will work, ...

    That will probably not work, as /usr is mounted nodev by default ...

  6. Re: could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom

    "Peter Str?mberg" wrote:
    > Chris Odorjan wrote in news:smkig3-7si.ln1
    > @bobnet.odorjan.ca:
    >
    >> On 04/07/06 7:33 AM, iarabaci wrote:
    >>
    >>> thank you very much..
    >>> cd /usr/src/etc/etc.i386; sh MAKEDEV arandom ; mv arandom /dev/
    >>>
    >>> is that all ?

    >> That will work, ...

    > That will probably not work, as /usr is mounted nodev by default ...

    Actually, it will. The device just won't work, as long as it's on
    /usr.

    # mknod null c 2 2
    # cat null
    cat: null: Device not configured

    The above also suggests a more portable way of creating devices.

    Joacim

  7. Re: could not open pre-chroot entropy source /dev/arandom

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:

    > Actually, it will. The device just won't work, as long as it's on
    > /usr.
    >
    > # mknod null c 2 2
    > # cat null
    > cat: null: Device not configured
    >
    > The above also suggests a more portable way of creating devices.

    Indeed, it should be a more portable way of creating devices.

    On the particular topic of this thread, /dev/arandom is a character
    device with the major and minor device numbers 45 and 4. In short,
    the original poster can try something like:

    # cd /dev && mknod arandom c 45 4

    If I am not in a mistake...

    Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread