Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's for sale - BSD

This is a discussion on Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's for sale - BSD ; Hi, I'm building mini embedded systems running openbsd. They boot from a memory card. These systems use around 3Watts of power!!! They are great for home and office use. Perfect for a real geeks needs Also can run dsniff for ...

  1. Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's for sale

    Hi,
    I'm building mini embedded systems running openbsd. They boot from a
    memory card. These systems use around 3Watts of power!!! They are great
    for home and office use. Perfect for a real geeks needs Also can run
    dsniff for "network monitoring"

    The boxes support 802.11 a/b/g,
    Have 3 network interfaces 10/100,
    a compact flash memory card slot,
    801.11 antenns connection port (they can be connected to a 15dbi antenna
    for a massive range),
    a serial, RS232 port for system I/O

    These systems run OpenBSD 3.8 and PF.

    If your interested in one of these I can sell you one configured with the
    root password of your choice and ship one to you.

    email me, khalid@sgi.materials.ox.ac.uk for information

    Price is 250UKP inc vat! I can either ship the system to you or you can
    collect in person.

    I can supply almost any number of these.

    Khalid / Lili

  2. Re: Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's for sale

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm building mini embedded systems running openbsd. They boot from a
    > memory card. These systems use around 3Watts of power!!! They are great
    > for home and office use. Perfect for a real geeks needs Also can run
    > dsniff for "network monitoring"
    >
    > The boxes support 802.11 a/b/g,
    > Have 3 network interfaces 10/100,
    > a compact flash memory card slot,
    > 801.11 antenns connection port (they can be connected to a 15dbi antenna
    > for a massive range),
    > a serial, RS232 port for system I/O
    >
    > These systems run OpenBSD 3.8 and PF.
    >
    > If your interested in one of these I can sell you one configured with the
    > root password of your choice and ship one to you.

    The offer looks interesting (but what processor, how much memory, etc?)
    - not that I am personally interested, mind you, I have no need or money
    for such a system.

    However, I know *I* wouldn't trust anyone to configure my systems for
    me. 'Configured with the root password of my choice'... and what else?

    Joachim

  3. Re: Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's forsale

    The Embedded systems come with 512Mb memory cards (can add more for a
    price). 128Mb ram and 266Mhz cpu. CPU used is very low power (designed for
    low work load like running pf.

    Systems will filter traffic with out a problem up to 100Mbits.

    khalid

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm building mini embedded systems running openbsd. They boot from a
    > > memory card. These systems use around 3Watts of power!!! They are great
    > > for home and office use. Perfect for a real geeks needs Also can run
    > > dsniff for "network monitoring"
    > >
    > > The boxes support 802.11 a/b/g,
    > > Have 3 network interfaces 10/100,
    > > a compact flash memory card slot,
    > > 801.11 antenns connection port (they can be connected to a 15dbi antenna
    > > for a massive range),
    > > a serial, RS232 port for system I/O
    > >
    > > These systems run OpenBSD 3.8 and PF.
    > >
    > > If your interested in one of these I can sell you one configured with the
    > > root password of your choice and ship one to you.

    > The offer looks interesting (but what processor, how much memory, etc?)
    > - not that I am personally interested, mind you, I have no need or money
    > for such a system.
    >
    > However, I know *I* wouldn't trust anyone to configure my systems for
    > me. 'Configured with the root password of my choice'... and what else?
    >
    > Joachim

  4. Re: Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's forsale

    Khalid Schofield schreef:
    > The Embedded systems come with 512Mb memory cards (can add more for a
    > price). 128Mb ram and 266Mhz cpu. CPU used is very low power (designed for
    > low work load like running pf.

    Sounds like a Soekris....??

    > Systems will filter traffic with out a problem up to 100Mbits.
    >
    > khalid
    >
    > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >
    >> Khalid Schofield wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I'm building mini embedded systems running openbsd. They boot from a
    >>> memory card. These systems use around 3Watts of power!!! They are great
    >>> for home and office use. Perfect for a real geeks needs Also can run
    >>> dsniff for "network monitoring"
    >>>
    >>> The boxes support 802.11 a/b/g,
    >>> Have 3 network interfaces 10/100,
    >>> a compact flash memory card slot,
    >>> 801.11 antenns connection port (they can be connected to a 15dbi antenna
    >>> for a massive range),
    >>> a serial, RS232 port for system I/O
    >>>
    >>> These systems run OpenBSD 3.8 and PF.
    >>>
    >>> If your interested in one of these I can sell you one configured with the
    >>> root password of your choice and ship one to you.

    >> The offer looks interesting (but what processor, how much memory, etc?)
    >> - not that I am personally interested, mind you, I have no need or money
    >> for such a system.
    >>
    >> However, I know *I* wouldn't trust anyone to configure my systems for
    >> me. 'Configured with the root password of my choice'... and what else?
    >>
    >> Joachim

    Peter

  5. Re: Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's forsale

    there similar to the systems but a bit more compact. I can supply all
    sorts from just the system board to a cased unit.

    On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Peter van Oord van der Vlies wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield schreef:
    > > The Embedded systems come with 512Mb memory cards (can add more for a
    > > price). 128Mb ram and 266Mhz cpu. CPU used is very low power (designed for
    > > low work load like running pf.
    > >

    > Sounds like a Soekris....??
    >
    > > Systems will filter traffic with out a problem up to 100Mbits.
    > >
    > > khalid

    > >> The offer looks interesting (but what processor, how much memory, etc?)
    > >> - not that I am personally interested, mind you, I have no need or money
    > >> for such a system.
    > >>
    > >> However, I know *I* wouldn't trust anyone to configure my systems for
    > >> me. 'Configured with the root password of my choice'... and what else?
    > >>
    > >> Joachim
    > >>

    > Peter

  6. Re: Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's forsale

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm building mini embedded systems running openbsd. They boot from a
    > memory card. These systems use around 3Watts of power!!! They are great
    > for home and office use. Perfect for a real geeks needs Also can run
    > dsniff for "network monitoring"
    >
    > The boxes support 802.11 a/b/g,
    > Have 3 network interfaces 10/100,
    > a compact flash memory card slot,
    > 801.11 antenns connection port (they can be connected to a 15dbi antenna
    > for a massive range),
    > a serial, RS232 port for system I/O
    >
    > These systems run OpenBSD 3.8 and PF.

    To really interest your perceived market, you have to provide full
    specifications and a web site with some nice pictures. The people who
    frequent this NG are quite familiar with the stuff that is out there.

    Making a purchase from you that balances the cost/time ratio (i.e., how
    much is my time worth to assemble, setup and install such a box,
    compared with just getting a turnkey solution) requires more detail, I'm
    afraid. If you are too general, or wave your hands a little too much,
    you are going to lose our interest.

  7. Re: Embedded openbsd wireless access point/router/firewall's forsale

    I was going to just list them on ebay to be honest. Things I'm selling
    seem to make quite a bit on ebay. But this news group seemed to be full of
    interesting comments and idea's so I thought I'd post here just incase it
    sparked off anyone's interest first. I've installed a few of these boxes
    at Oxford University as wireless monitoring boxes and AP's. They work out
    cheaper than the cisco couterpart's for what they can do and are more fun
    to play with (if you manage a wireless network like I do with out some fun
    kit on the vlan it's a dull boring job).

    Oh on another note my XP1000 still locks up with the networking...No idea
    why but I've a sun enterprise E3500 with 12Gb ram and 6cpu's doing the
    same job now. I'll fix my XP1000 Compaq in time (on the back burner for
    now).

    Khalid

    On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, void * clvrmnky() wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm building mini embedded systems running openbsd. They boot from a
    > > memory card. These systems use around 3Watts of power!!! They are great
    > > for home and office use. Perfect for a real geeks needs Also can run
    > > dsniff for "network monitoring"
    > >
    > > The boxes support 802.11 a/b/g,
    > > Have 3 network interfaces 10/100,
    > > a compact flash memory card slot,
    > > 801.11 antenns connection port (they can be connected to a 15dbi antenna
    > > for a massive range),
    > > a serial, RS232 port for system I/O
    > >
    > > These systems run OpenBSD 3.8 and PF.
    > >

    > To really interest your perceived market, you have to provide full
    > specifications and a web site with some nice pictures. The people who
    > frequent this NG are quite familiar with the stuff that is out there.
    >
    > Making a purchase from you that balances the cost/time ratio (i.e., how
    > much is my time worth to assemble, setup and install such a box,
    > compared with just getting a turnkey solution) requires more detail, I'm
    > afraid. If you are too general, or wave your hands a little too much,
    > you are going to lose our interest.

+ Reply to Thread