disabling SSID broadcasts in BSD 3.8 - BSD

This is a discussion on disabling SSID broadcasts in BSD 3.8 - BSD ; ok, I have looked at all the man pages (wi, wicontrol, ifconfig, etc) and I have yet to find any way to turn off SSID beacon broadcasts in OpenBSD). the system is setup as a host AP appliance with 1 ...

  1. disabling SSID broadcasts in BSD 3.8

    ok,
    I have looked at all the man pages (wi, wicontrol, ifconfig, etc) and I have
    yet to find any way to turn off SSID beacon broadcasts in OpenBSD).

    the system is setup as a host AP appliance with 1 interface wireless and the
    other wired.

    any clues?

    numbered!
    My life is my own - No. 6

  2. Re: disabling SSID broadcasts in BSD 3.8

    Try using

    iwpriv ath0 hide_ssid 1

    assuming your wireless interface is ath0, or go to the HostAP mailing list to
    see if there is an option in the hostap.conf file to do this. I think the
    ssid= is the option for setting the ssid of your AP, but I don't know
    about hiding it.

    Keep in mind that hiding the ssid DOES NOT make your network more secure, and if
    some one had a wireless sniffer or AP detector, they could find the ssid out
    anyway. It is impossible to totally hide the SSID, but it is possible to stop
    broadcasting it, if only so ppl on windoze boxes who look in their wireless
    network settings can't see it.

    ~David~

    Technomage Hawke wrote:
    > ok,
    > I have looked at all the man pages (wi, wicontrol, ifconfig, etc) and I have
    > yet to find any way to turn off SSID beacon broadcasts in OpenBSD).
    >
    > the system is setup as a host AP appliance with 1 interface wireless and the
    > other wired.
    >
    > any clues?

+ Reply to Thread