OpenBSD 3.8 and Compaq iPAQ Desktop PC - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD 3.8 and Compaq iPAQ Desktop PC - BSD ; Hi, Has anyone successfully installed and used OpenBSD on the Celeron-based Compaq iPAQ PC (they are quite old now but I'd like to reuse it as a gateway/firewall). At first, the install process (booting from CDROM) hung/panic-halted a few times ...

  1. OpenBSD 3.8 and Compaq iPAQ Desktop PC

    Hi,

    Has anyone successfully installed and used OpenBSD on the Celeron-based
    Compaq iPAQ PC (they are quite old now but I'd like to reuse it as a
    gateway/firewall).

    At first, the install process (booting from CDROM) hung/panic-halted a few
    times just after USB checks during the boot process but I persevered,
    rebooted and tried again. On one occasion it then went on to successfully
    run the complete install.

    Now, after the installation, it dies during the boot just after the USB
    checks again and I can't get past that.

    Kunle

    --
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.

  2. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 and Compaq iPAQ Desktop PC

    The computer is from HP/Compaq's iPaq Legacy-Free PC series.

    It remains as originally delivered except for the addition of a supported
    LinkSys USB network adapter (identified as 'axe0'). It ran fine with no
    issues (using Windows XP) until I decided to use it as an OpenBSD gateway
    box. I elected to use all of 'wd0' for OpenBSD.

    Kunle

  3. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 and Compaq iPAQ Desktop PC (more info)

    Some info aboout the kernel panic (I haven't any means to capture the whole
    dmesg - any ideas?):

    uhub0 at usb0
    uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    uhci1 at pci0 dev 31 function 4 "Intel 82801BA USB" rev 0x02: irq 10
    uvm_fault(0xd05ccc00, 0x0, 0, 1) -> e
    kernel: page fault trap, code=0
    Stopped at usb_schedsoftintr+0xd: call *0x4(%edx)
    ddb>

  4. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 and Compaq iPAQ Desktop PC (more info)

    k> Some info aboout the kernel panic (I haven't any means to capture the whole
    k> dmesg - any ideas?):

    k> ........
    k> uhub0 at usb0
    k> uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    k> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
    k> uhci1 at pci0 dev 31 function 4 "Intel 82801BA USB" rev 0x02: irq 10
    k> uvm_fault(0xd05ccc00, 0x0, 0, 1) -> e
    k> kernel: page fault trap, code=0
    k> Stopped at usb_schedsoftintr+0xd: call *0x4(%edx)
    ddb>

    FWIW, your problem appears similar to PR kernel/5001

  5. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 and Compaq iPAQ Desktop PC (more info)

    > k> Some info aboout the kernel panic (I haven't any means to capture the
    whole
    > k> dmesg - any ideas?):

    Thanks, I'd already read that. The redirection to a serial port looks like
    the option for my environment but I haven't got the right cables. What
    cables do you use?

    > k> ........
    > k> uhub0 at usb0
    > k> uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    > k> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
    > k> uhci1 at pci0 dev 31 function 4 "Intel 82801BA USB" rev 0x02: irq 10
    > k> uvm_fault(0xd05ccc00, 0x0, 0, 1) -> e
    > k> kernel: page fault trap, code=0
    > k> Stopped at usb_schedsoftintr+0xd: call *0x4(%edx)
    > ddb>
    >
    > FWIW, your problem appears similar to PR kernel/5001

    <http://cvs.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/query...only=yes&numbe
    rs=5001>

    I suppose it does except that lacking 'legacy' ports like PS/2 ports, the
    usb keyboard attached to the box is useless by the time the 'ddb>' prompt
    appears so I can't 'trace/ps/show registers'.

    Thinking about it now, I can see that the computer and the OpenBSD
    installation might still be active despite the [usb] keyboard being dead. It
    is a new install with all the X-related file sets excluded but I did opt to
    start sshd by default. This was to be the firat reboot after the
    installation.

    Would I be able to access and use box via the network even if the usb errors
    have effectively killed the 'console'?. That might just be enough until the
    usb/kernel-panic issue is resolved.

    Kunle

  6. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 and Compaq iPAQ Desktop PC (more info)

    "Kunle Odutola" wrote in message
    >> k> Some info aboout the kernel panic (I haven't any means to capture the

    > whole
    >> k> dmesg - any ideas?):
    >>

    > Thanks, I'd already read that. The redirection to a serial port looks like
    > the option for my environment but I haven't got the right cables. What
    > cables do you use?

    You'll need a null-modem cable, i.e. one where the Tx and Rx lines (at
    least) are swapped.

    > Thinking about it now, I can see that the computer and the OpenBSD
    > installation might still be active despite the [usb] keyboard being dead.
    > It
    > is a new install with all the X-related file sets excluded but I did opt
    > start sshd by default. This was to be the firat reboot after the
    > installation.
    >
    > Would I be able to access and use box via the network even if the usb
    > errors
    > have effectively killed the 'console'?. That might just be enough until
    > the
    > usb/kernel-panic issue is resolved.

    If the machine is indeed active, yes indeed. Try pinging it.

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

+ Reply to Thread