CARP and IP aliases - BSD

This is a discussion on CARP and IP aliases - BSD ; I'm about to build my first CARP setup, and before I get too far into it, I'm hoping to get confirmation that CARP will work with IP aliases. My current non-CARP gateway has two IPs bound to the internal interface ...

  1. CARP and IP aliases

    I'm about to build my first CARP setup, and before I get too
    far into it, I'm hoping to get confirmation that CARP will work
    with IP aliases. My current non-CARP gateway has two IPs bound
    to the internal interface and many IP addresses bound to the
    WAN interface.

    All the documentation I've read so far deals with a single
    internal address and a single external address. Has anyone set
    up a CARP system with multiple IP addresses bound to the
    internal and external interfaces?

    Thanks,
    Aaron

    --
    To contact me via email, substitute
    'aaronc' for 'spam' in my address.

  2. Re: CARP and IP aliases

    Aaron Couts wrote:
    > I'm about to build my first CARP setup, and before I get too
    > far into it, I'm hoping to get confirmation that CARP will work
    > with IP aliases. My current non-CARP gateway has two IPs bound
    > to the internal interface and many IP addresses bound to the
    > WAN interface.
    >
    > All the documentation I've read so far deals with a single
    > internal address and a single external address. Has anyone set
    > up a CARP system with multiple IP addresses bound to the
    > internal and external interfaces?

    It depends on exactly where the interface is, but CARPed interface
    continue to work as normal interfaces (including accepting aliases) and
    setting up multiple CARPs allows you to 'share' multiple IP addresses.

    Joachim

  3. Re: CARP and IP aliases

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > Aaron Couts wrote:
    >> I'm about to build my first CARP setup, and before I get too
    >> far into it, I'm hoping to get confirmation that CARP will work
    >> with IP aliases. My current non-CARP gateway has two IPs bound
    >> to the internal interface and many IP addresses bound to the
    >> WAN interface.
    >>
    >> All the documentation I've read so far deals with a single
    >> internal address and a single external address. Has anyone set
    >> up a CARP system with multiple IP addresses bound to the
    >> internal and external interfaces?

    > It depends on exactly where the interface is, but CARPed interface
    > continue to work as normal interfaces (including accepting aliases) and
    > setting up multiple CARPs allows you to 'share' multiple IP addresses.

    That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread