Compaq Alpha openbsd 3.8 network crash...often - BSD

This is a discussion on Compaq Alpha openbsd 3.8 network crash...often - BSD ; Hi, odd one. I have openbsd 3.8 running on my dec alpha XP1000. It's the 667Mhz model. Every so often the network on the box locks up totally. It will do it when I'm not using the the system interactivly ...

  1. Compaq Alpha openbsd 3.8 network crash...often

    Hi,
    odd one. I have openbsd 3.8 running on my dec alpha XP1000. It's the
    667Mhz model. Every so often the network on the box locks up totally. It
    will do it when I'm not using the the system interactivly when it's
    sitting there doing very little except doing OS things.

    The only thing that seems to fix the problem is a reboot or power cycle. I
    remeber it used to do this with a 3com905 card I had in the box as well so
    it probably isn't the chipset driver. It's quite strange. Has anyone else
    suffered this problem?

    It's a real pain as this box was going to be my main network monitoring
    system and I really hate to just chuck this away and use a nasty PC
    instead.

    So heads up any idea's what would be a fix for this?

    many thanks

    -------
    sysAdmin
    Oxford University

  2. Re: Compaq Alpha openbsd 3.8 network crash...often

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > Hi,
    > odd one. I have openbsd 3.8 running on my dec alpha XP1000. It's the
    > 667Mhz model. Every so often the network on the box locks up totally. It
    > will do it when I'm not using the the system interactivly when it's
    > sitting there doing very little except doing OS things.
    >
    > The only thing that seems to fix the problem is a reboot or power cycle. I
    > remeber it used to do this with a 3com905 card I had in the box as well so
    > it probably isn't the chipset driver. It's quite strange. Has anyone else
    > suffered this problem?
    >
    > It's a real pain as this box was going to be my main network monitoring
    > system and I really hate to just chuck this away and use a nasty PC
    > instead.
    >
    > So heads up any idea's what would be a fix for this?

    This will at least cover the basics if you want to report this in a
    manner that will allow developers and idle kernel hackers to poke around
    in the sources in an intelligent manner.

  3. Re: Compaq Alpha openbsd 3.8 network crash...often

    Great
    thanks for the reply

    useful info
    thanks

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, void * clvrmnky() wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > odd one. I have openbsd 3.8 running on my dec alpha XP1000. It's the
    > > 667Mhz model. Every so often the network on the box locks up totally. It
    > > will do it when I'm not using the the system interactivly when it's
    > > sitting there doing very little except doing OS things.
    > >
    > > The only thing that seems to fix the problem is a reboot or power cycle. I
    > > remeber it used to do this with a 3com905 card I had in the box as well so
    > > it probably isn't the chipset driver. It's quite strange. Has anyone else
    > > suffered this problem?
    > >
    > > It's a real pain as this box was going to be my main network monitoring
    > > system and I really hate to just chuck this away and use a nasty PC
    > > instead.
    > >
    > > So heads up any idea's what would be a fix for this?
    > >

    > This will at least cover the basics if you want to report this in a
    > manner that will allow developers and idle kernel hackers to poke around
    > in the sources in an intelligent manner.

+ Reply to Thread