console framebuffer - BSD

This is a discussion on console framebuffer - BSD ; Hi, Is it possible to enable framebuffer on console? How? thx ..dave...

  1. console framebuffer

    Hi,

    Is it possible to enable framebuffer on console? How?

    thx
    ..dave

  2. Re: console framebuffer

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:36:20 +0000, David Sudjiman wrote:

    > Is it possible to enable framebuffer on console? How?

    Install Linux?
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic

  3. Re: console framebuffer

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:36:20 +0000, David Sudjiman wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to enable framebuffer on console? How?

    > Install Linux?

    Bu-dum-dum. Seriously folks, Mark will be here all week. Remember to
    tip your server, and try the veal!

  4. Re: console framebuffer

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:36:20 +0000, David Sudjiman wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to enable framebuffer on console? How?

    > Install Linux?

    That'd work, but OpenBSD does have framebuffer support for sparc64, for
    instance, at least from a quick Google-and-browse through the site.

    However, I think this is the wrong question. What do you want to do with
    it? Ion and Ratpoison pretty much provide a console in a X environment
    (and some nifty extras), which is quite similar to graphics in a console
    environment.

    Joachim

  5. Re: console framebuffer

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:36:20 +0000, David Sudjiman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to enable framebuffer on console? How?

    >> Install Linux?

    > That'd work, but OpenBSD does have framebuffer support for sparc64, for
    > instance, at least from a quick Google-and-browse through the site.

    A quick reply to myself for additional clarification: that means it can
    run X on a framebuffer, not the console. The OpenBSD console, to the
    best of my knowledge, doesn't do graphics (except a few pretty colors
    and such).

    Joachim

  6. Re: console framebuffer

    David Sudjiman wrote:
    > Is it possible to enable framebuffer on console? How?

    While there is no technical reason this cannot be done, I doubt it is
    high on anyone's list of priorities. I'm sure there are all sorts of
    security implications.

    Given the OpenBSD already has some sort of framebuffer for the Mac/68k
    port (and perhaps others?) I don't know how easy or warranted it would
    be to offer it on platforms that already have a text console mode.
    Especially since wscons already offers reasonable platform independent
    console access.

    But the OBSD 3.9 page advertises "new" framebuffer drivers for mac68k,
    anyway.

  7. Re: console framebuffer

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:34:02 -0500, void * clvrmnky() wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:36:20 +0000, David Sudjiman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to enable framebuffer on console? How?

    >> Install Linux?

    > Bu-dum-dum. Seriously folks, Mark will be here all week. Remember to
    > tip your server, and try the veal!

    My solution will give the requested result a hell of a lot faster than
    yours.
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado

  8. Re: console framebuffer

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:34:02 -0500, void * clvrmnky() wrote:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:

    >>> Install Linux?

    >> Bu-dum-dum. Seriously folks, Mark will be here all week. Remember to
    >> tip your server, and try the veal!

    > My solution will give the requested result a hell of a lot faster than
    > yours.

    I'm not sure either of us offered any solution, so I can only agree.

  9. Re: console framebuffer

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:54:21 -0500, void * clvrmnky() wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:

    >>> Bu-dum-dum. Seriously folks, Mark will be here all week. Remember to
    >>> tip your server, and try the veal!

    >> My solution will give the requested result a hell of a lot faster than
    >> yours.

    > I'm not sure either of us offered any solution, so I can only agree.

    You're probably right, in retrospect, so let's just follow standard
    c.u.b.o.m procedure and tell the OP the solution to his problem:

    RTFS!
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado

  10. Re: console framebuffer

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >>
    >> That'd work, but OpenBSD does have framebuffer support for sparc64, for
    >> instance, at least from a quick Google-and-browse through the site.

    > A quick reply to myself for additional clarification: that means it can
    > run X on a framebuffer, not the console. The OpenBSD console, to the
    > best of my knowledge, doesn't do graphics (except a few pretty colors
    > and such).

    There is not such a thing as a _text-mode_ console in the Sun world;
    at least not as we understand "text-mode" in x86. As soon as an
    SPARC boots into the OBP there is a "framebuffer console" however.

    Cheers,
    Igor.

+ Reply to Thread