OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem - BSD ; I am new to unix with much to learn. I am trying to install OpenBSD 3.8. I have tried the cd38.iso and the cdemu38.iso. I have RTFM to ensure that my hardware is supported. I captured the dmesg by using ...

  1. OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    I am new to unix with much to learn. I am trying to install OpenBSD
    3.8. I have tried the cd38.iso and the cdemu38.iso. I have RTFM to
    ensure that my hardware is supported.

    I captured the dmesg by using set tty com0. Here it is:

    boot> boot -c
    booting cd0a:/3.8/i386/bsd.rd:[-4369156|+828044-]=0x53b600
    entry point at 0x100120

    Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California. All rights
    reserved.
    Copyright (c) 1995-2005 OpenBSD. All rights reserved.
    http://www.OpenBSD.org

    OpenBSD 3.8 (RAMDISK_CD) #794: Sat Sep 10 15:58:32 MDT 2005
    deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK_CD
    cpu0: Intel Pentium II ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 401
    MHz
    cpu0:
    FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MC A,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR
    real mem = 268017664 (261736K)
    avail mem = 238702592 (233108K)
    using 3297 buffers containing 13504512 bytes (13188K) of memory
    User Kernel Config
    UKC> verbose
    autoconf verbose enabled
    UKC> quit
    Continuing...
    mainbus0 (root)
    bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(d6) BIOS, date 06/11/99, BIOS32 rev. 0 @
    0xfb3f0
    apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
    apm0: flags 70102 dobusy 1 doidle 1
    pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xf0000/0xb86c
    pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 @ 0xfdef0/160 (8 entries)
    pcibios0: PCI Exclusive IRQs: 5 9 10 11
    pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371SB ISA" rev
    0x00)
    pcibios0: PCI bus #1 is the last bus
    bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0x8000 0xc8000/0x1200
    cpu0 at mainbus0
    pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (no bios)
    pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82443BX AGP" rev 0x03
    ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel 82443BX AGP" rev 0x03
    pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
    vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "3DFX Interactive Voodoo3" rev 0x01
    wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
    pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev 0x02
    pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
    channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
    atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0
    scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
    cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: SCSI0 5/cdrom
    removable
    cd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
    pciide0: channel 1 disabled (no drives)
    uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2 "Intel 82371AB USB" rev 0x01: irq 10
    usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
    uhub0 at usb0
    uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x02 at pci0 dev 7 function 3 not configured
    "Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live" rev 0x06 at pci0 dev 13 function 0
    not configured
    "Creative Labs PCI Gameport Joystick" rev 0x06 at pci0 dev 13 function
    1 not configured
    dc0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "ADMtek AN983" rev 0x11: irq 10, address
    00:04:5a:89:e9:77
    ukphy0 at dc0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
    ukphy0: OUI 0x000749, model 0x0001, rev. 1
    pciide1 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "HighPoint HPT36x/37x IDE" rev 0x01:
    DMA
    pciide1: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
    wd0 at pciide1 channel 0 drive 0:
    wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 19541MB, 40020624 sectors
    wd0(pciide1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4
    pciide2 at pci0 dev 19 function 1 "HighPoint HPT36x/37x IDE" rev 0x01:
    DMA
    pciide2: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
    isa0 at pcib0
    isadma0 at isa0
    pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
    pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
    pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
    wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
    npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
    pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
    pccom0: console
    pccom1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
    fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
    fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
    biomask ffe5 netmask ffe5 ttymask ffe7
    rd0: fixed, 3800 blocks
    fatal page fault in supervisor mode
    trap type 6 code 0 eip d01a123e cs 50 eflags 10246 cr2 5bf800ec cpl a0
    panic: trap type 6, code=0, pc=d01a123e
    syncing disks... done

    dumping to dev 1101, offset 0
    dump error 19

    rebooting...

    I also did a second capture with verbose turned on, here is the last
    few lines:

    pccom1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
    >>> probing for pccom2
    >>> probing for pccom2 failed
    >>> probing for fdc0
    >>> probing for fdc0 succeeded

    fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
    >>> probing for fd*
    >>> fd probe returned 1
    >>> fd probe won

    fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
    >>> probing for fd*
    >>> fd probe returned 0
    >>> no winning probe
    >>> probing for fd*
    >>> fd probe returned 0
    >>> no winning probe
    >>> probing for fd*
    >>> fd probe returned 0
    >>> no winning probe
    >>> probing for ahc0
    >>> probing for ahc0 failed
    >>> probing for isapnp0
    >>> probing for isapnp0 failed
    >>> probing for pcic0
    >>> probing for pcic0 failed
    >>> probing for pcic1
    >>> probing for pcic1 failed
    >>> probing for pcic2
    >>> probing for pcic2 failed

    biomask ffe5 netmask ffe5 ttymask ffe7
    rd0: fixed, 3800 blocks
    fatal page fault in supervisor mode
    trap type 6 code 0 eip d01a123e cs 50 eflags 10246 cr2 5bf800ec cpl a0
    panic: trap type 6, code=0, pc=d01a123e
    syncing disks... done

    dumping to dev 1101, offset 0
    dump error 19

    rebooting...

    I am not unix savvy so I am not sure how to "read" the printout to
    find the error. What should I be looking for as a clue to home in on
    the problem. Any guidance would be well appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
    JM

  2. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    "Echo" wrote in message

    > I am not unix savvy so I am not sure how to "read" the printout to
    > find the error. What should I be looking for as a clue to home in on
    > the problem. Any guidance would be well appreciated.

    Hmmm.
    >> cpu0: Intel Pentium II ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 401 MHz
    >> <<

    Fairly old machine, then. CD drives could be a bit weird back then. Have you
    tried booting from a floppy?

    >> fatal page fault in supervisor mode

    trap type 6 code 0 eip d01a123e cs 50 eflags 10246 cr2 5bf800ec cpl a0
    panic: trap type 6, code=0, pc=d01a123e <<

    Have you tried testing memory with memtest86?

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  3. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    Steve,

    I have been running memtest86 most of the morning on the advice of
    another good samaritan (Thanks!) who sent me an email. There were two
    sticks of PC100 128Mb. The DIMM in the second slot did in fact have
    problems. I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour.
    I then tried floppy boot with the same results as the CD boot. I also
    tried a 3.7 floppy which showed the same 3.8 result. I have a copy of
    Redhat Linux and I am tempted to create a FreeBSD cd too.

    I agree that this box is a bit old, having purchased it in 1998. I am
    back to running memtest86 for a longer stretch this time to see if the
    last remaining DIMM has intermittent errors to which OpenBSD might be
    sensitive.

    While this is running I am comparing the dmesg output to the list of
    specially configured items listed in the install.i386 file. I also
    noticed an exception in the verbose mode.

    >>> probing for npx0 succeeded

    npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16

    Could this be the culprit?

    Thanks,
    JM

    In article ,
    steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com says...
    > "Echo" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I am not unix savvy so I am not sure how to "read" the printout to
    > > find the error. What should I be looking for as a clue to home in on
    > > the problem. Any guidance would be well appreciated.

    > Hmmm.
    > >> cpu0: Intel Pentium II ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 401 MHz
    > >> <<

    > Fairly old machine, then. CD drives could be a bit weird back then. Have you
    > tried booting from a floppy?
    >
    > >> fatal page fault in supervisor mode

    > trap type 6 code 0 eip d01a123e cs 50 eflags 10246 cr2 5bf800ec cpl a0
    > panic: trap type 6, code=0, pc=d01a123e <<
    >
    > Have you tried testing memory with memtest86?
    >
    > Steve
    > http://www.fivetrees.com

  4. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    Well, nothing wrong with the memory, at least nothing that memtest86
    would identify. I updated the bios to the latest version, while a good
    idea, does not solve the problem.

    I tried to install FreeBSD 6.0 this morning but it had the same problem,
    supervisor page fault.

    The last thing I could do is move the HD to IDE1 master vice the CDROM.
    Not sure what good that would do as it seems to be a rd0 (RamDisk is it)
    issue.

    Beginning to believe this box is just no suitable for a Unix variant OS.
    Any more thoughts before I pack it up and let the dust bunnies have a
    home?

    JM

    In article ,
    echowhiskey@fastmail.fm says...
    > Steve,
    >
    > I have been running memtest86 most of the morning on the advice of
    > another good samaritan (Thanks!) who sent me an email. There were two
    > sticks of PC100 128Mb. The DIMM in the second slot did in fact have
    > problems. I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour.
    > I then tried floppy boot with the same results as the CD boot. I also
    > tried a 3.7 floppy which showed the same 3.8 result. I have a copy of
    > Redhat Linux and I am tempted to create a FreeBSD cd too.
    >
    > I agree that this box is a bit old, having purchased it in 1998. I am
    > back to running memtest86 for a longer stretch this time to see if the
    > last remaining DIMM has intermittent errors to which OpenBSD might be
    > sensitive.
    >
    > While this is running I am comparing the dmesg output to the list of
    > specially configured items listed in the install.i386 file. I also
    > noticed an exception in the verbose mode.

    > npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
    >
    > Could this be the culprit?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JM
    >
    > In article ,
    > steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com says...
    > > "Echo" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I am not unix savvy so I am not sure how to "read" the printout to
    > > > find the error. What should I be looking for as a clue to home in on
    > > > the problem. Any guidance would be well appreciated.

    > > Hmmm.

    > > Fairly old machine, then. CD drives could be a bit weird back then. Have you
    > > tried booting from a floppy?

    > > trap type 6 code 0 eip d01a123e cs 50 eflags 10246 cr2 5bf800ec cpl a0
    > > panic: trap type 6, code=0, pc=d01a123e <<
    > >
    > > Have you tried testing memory with memtest86?
    > >
    > > Steve

  5. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    Echo wrote:
    > Well, nothing wrong with the memory, at least nothing that memtest86
    > would identify. I updated the bios to the latest version, while a good
    > idea, does not solve the problem.
    >
    > I tried to install FreeBSD 6.0 this morning but it had the same problem,
    > supervisor page fault.
    >
    > The last thing I could do is move the HD to IDE1 master vice the CDROM.
    > Not sure what good that would do as it seems to be a rd0 (RamDisk is it)
    > issue.
    >
    > Beginning to believe this box is just no suitable for a Unix variant OS.
    > Any more thoughts before I pack it up and let the dust bunnies have a
    > home?
    >
    > JM

    A few ideas that might or might not work, with no particular reason to
    assume the former:
    1. Go into ukc (see boot_config(8)), disable everything not
    needed, boot (do enable verbose mode, as some things are
    interdependent...)
    2. Try OpenBSD 3.9, NetBSD, Linux, whatever else (DOS?)
    3. Ask on misc@openbsd.org.

    Good luck,

    Joachim

    > In article ,
    > echowhiskey@fastmail.fm says...
    >> Steve,
    >>
    >> I have been running memtest86 most of the morning on the advice of
    >> another good samaritan (Thanks!) who sent me an email. There were two
    >> sticks of PC100 128Mb. The DIMM in the second slot did in fact have
    >> problems. I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour.
    >> I then tried floppy boot with the same results as the CD boot. I also
    >> tried a 3.7 floppy which showed the same 3.8 result. I have a copy of
    >> Redhat Linux and I am tempted to create a FreeBSD cd too.
    >>
    >> I agree that this box is a bit old, having purchased it in 1998. I am
    >> back to running memtest86 for a longer stretch this time to see if the
    >> last remaining DIMM has intermittent errors to which OpenBSD might be
    >> sensitive.
    >>
    >> While this is running I am comparing the dmesg output to the list of
    >> specially configured items listed in the install.i386 file. I also
    >> noticed an exception in the verbose mode.

    >> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
    >>
    >> Could this be the culprit?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> JM
    >>
    >> In article ,
    >> steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com says...
    >> > "Echo" wrote in message

    >> > Hmmm.
    >> >
    >> > Fairly old machine, then. CD drives could be a bit weird back then.
    >> > Have you tried booting from a floppy?

    >> > trap type 6 code 0 eip d01a123e cs 50 eflags 10246 cr2 5bf800ec cpl a0
    >> > panic: trap type 6, code=0, pc=d01a123e <<
    >> >
    >> > Have you tried testing memory with memtest86?
    >> >
    >> > Steve

  6. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    "Echo" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1e7cd6dfb50a40989680@text.usenetserver.co m...
    > Steve,
    >
    > I have been running memtest86 most of the morning on the advice of
    > another good samaritan (Thanks!) who sent me an email. There were two
    > sticks of PC100 128Mb. The DIMM in the second slot did in fact have
    > problems. I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour.
    > I then tried floppy boot with the same results as the CD boot. I also
    > tried a 3.7 floppy which showed the same 3.8 result. I have a copy of
    > Redhat Linux and I am tempted to create a FreeBSD cd too.

    Hmmm. Not sure what to suggest.

    Although:
    >> I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour. <<

    I tend to leave it - for however long - until at least 3 full error-free
    passes have been reported. Or overnight.

    > I agree that this box is a bit old, having purchased it in 1998. I am
    > back to running memtest86 for a longer stretch this time to see if the
    > last remaining DIMM has intermittent errors to which OpenBSD might be
    > sensitive.

    I've been happily running OBSD on old/retired boxen since '99. Beyond the CD
    drive weirdnesses I mentioned earlier, I'm not convinced age alone is a
    problem. You've tried floppy boots, so that rules the CD thing out.

    > While this is running I am comparing the dmesg output to the list of
    > specially configured items listed in the install.i386 file. I also
    > noticed an exception in the verbose mode.

    > npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
    >
    > Could this be the culprit?

    Probably not: My dmesg shows:
    >> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16 <<

    Identical. So seems normal.

    Sorry - not sure I can help further on this. You seem to have one of those
    occasional machines that just... doesn't. Perhaps you could re-deploy it as
    a garden ornament?

    Anything weird in the BIOS re memory mapping? If there's any old-style DOS
    640kb memory extension systems, kill them, and try again.

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  7. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    Steve,

    I think you have hit the problem as I do remember seeing 639K on boot
    up. I have googled 640K vs 639K and I understand a bit of the issue but
    how do I go about killing the extension?

    JM

    In article ,
    steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com says...
    > "Echo" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1e7cd6dfb50a40989680@text.usenetserver.co m...
    > > Steve,
    > >
    > > I have been running memtest86 most of the morning on the advice of
    > > another good samaritan (Thanks!) who sent me an email. There were two
    > > sticks of PC100 128Mb. The DIMM in the second slot did in fact have
    > > problems. I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour.
    > > I then tried floppy boot with the same results as the CD boot. I also
    > > tried a 3.7 floppy which showed the same 3.8 result. I have a copy of
    > > Redhat Linux and I am tempted to create a FreeBSD cd too.

    > Hmmm. Not sure what to suggest.
    >
    > Although:
    > >> I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour. <<

    > I tend to leave it - for however long - until at least 3 full error-free
    > passes have been reported. Or overnight.
    >
    > > I agree that this box is a bit old, having purchased it in 1998. I am
    > > back to running memtest86 for a longer stretch this time to see if the
    > > last remaining DIMM has intermittent errors to which OpenBSD might be
    > > sensitive.

    > I've been happily running OBSD on old/retired boxen since '99. Beyond the CD
    > drive weirdnesses I mentioned earlier, I'm not convinced age alone is a
    > problem. You've tried floppy boots, so that rules the CD thing out.
    >
    > > While this is running I am comparing the dmesg output to the list of
    > > specially configured items listed in the install.i386 file. I also
    > > noticed an exception in the verbose mode.

    > > npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
    > >
    > > Could this be the culprit?

    > Probably not: My dmesg shows:
    > >> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16 <<

    > Identical. So seems normal.
    >
    > Sorry - not sure I can help further on this. You seem to have one of those
    > occasional machines that just... doesn't. Perhaps you could re-deploy it as
    > a garden ornament?
    >
    > Anything weird in the BIOS re memory mapping? If there's any old-style DOS
    > 640kb memory extension systems, kill them, and try again.

  8. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    Here is the proof:

    boot> machine memory
    Region 0: type 1 at 0x0 for 639KB
    Region 1: type 2 at 0x9fc00 for 1KB
    Region 2: type 2 at 0xf0000 for 64KB
    Region 3: type 2 at 0xffff0000 for 64KB
    Region 4: type 1 at 0x100000 for 261120KB
    Low ram: 639KB High ram: 261120KB
    Total free memory: 261759KB

    I am a novice at this but I take it that Region 1 is not needed and is
    the missing kb from region 0. How do I consolidate these to the
    appropriate regions?

    JM

    In article ,
    steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com says...
    > "Echo" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1e7cd6dfb50a40989680@text.usenetserver.co m...
    > > Steve,
    > >
    > > I have been running memtest86 most of the morning on the advice of
    > > another good samaritan (Thanks!) who sent me an email. There were two
    > > sticks of PC100 128Mb. The DIMM in the second slot did in fact have
    > > problems. I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour.
    > > I then tried floppy boot with the same results as the CD boot. I also
    > > tried a 3.7 floppy which showed the same 3.8 result. I have a copy of
    > > Redhat Linux and I am tempted to create a FreeBSD cd too.

    > Hmmm. Not sure what to suggest.
    >
    > Although:
    > >> I removed the DIMM and memtest86 ran clean for over an hour. <<

    > I tend to leave it - for however long - until at least 3 full error-free
    > passes have been reported. Or overnight.
    >
    > > I agree that this box is a bit old, having purchased it in 1998. I am
    > > back to running memtest86 for a longer stretch this time to see if the
    > > last remaining DIMM has intermittent errors to which OpenBSD might be
    > > sensitive.

    > I've been happily running OBSD on old/retired boxen since '99. Beyond the CD
    > drive weirdnesses I mentioned earlier, I'm not convinced age alone is a
    > problem. You've tried floppy boots, so that rules the CD thing out.
    >
    > > While this is running I am comparing the dmesg output to the list of
    > > specially configured items listed in the install.i386 file. I also
    > > noticed an exception in the verbose mode.

    > > npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
    > >
    > > Could this be the culprit?

    > Probably not: My dmesg shows:
    > >> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16 <<

    > Identical. So seems normal.
    >
    > Sorry - not sure I can help further on this. You seem to have one of those
    > occasional machines that just... doesn't. Perhaps you could re-deploy it as
    > a garden ornament?
    >
    > Anything weird in the BIOS re memory mapping? If there's any old-style DOS
    > 640kb memory extension systems, kill them, and try again.

  9. Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Install problem

    "Echo" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1e8920131e0199d5989681@news.usenetserver. com...
    > Here is the proof:
    >
    > boot> machine memory
    > Region 0: type 1 at 0x0 for 639KB
    > Region 1: type 2 at 0x9fc00 for 1KB
    > Region 2: type 2 at 0xf0000 for 64KB
    > Region 3: type 2 at 0xffff0000 for 64KB
    > Region 4: type 1 at 0x100000 for 261120KB
    > Low ram: 639KB High ram: 261120KB
    > Total free memory: 261759KB
    >
    > I am a novice at this but I take it that Region 1 is not needed and is
    > the missing kb from region 0. How do I consolidate these to the
    > appropriate regions?

    I honestly don't know. Is there anything in the BIOS regarding physical
    memory mapping?

    It used to be that the x86 CPUs ran DOS in a mode where only 1M was directly
    available to the CPU, of which the bottom 640kB was RAM, and the upper
    region was video RAM etc. Anything above 1M could only be accessed as
    "extended memory", by paging chunks of higher memory into part of the
    640k-1M region. However: this was a limitation of the OS, not the
    motherboard as such - IIRC. And if your motherboard can physically take
    256M, and memtest86 is seeing it and testing it ok, I'd expect OpenBSD to as
    well.

    Maybe take a look in the BIOS and see if there's anything there about
    extended memory or paging. If there's an extended memory window, turn it
    off. Or if you can select "flat memory", do so.

    Other than that, I'm really not sure what to suggest. It's been a long time
    since I've dealt with issues like this.

    Good luck!

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com