aMSN, finding tk-dev - BSD

This is a discussion on aMSN, finding tk-dev - BSD ; Hello, I'm trying to install aMSN on OpenBSD 3.8, which requires tcl-dev and tk-dev. I've installed tcl-dev but can't seem to find tk-dev anywhere. Does anybody know where I could find it? Thanks...

  1. aMSN, finding tk-dev

    Hello,

    I'm trying to install aMSN on OpenBSD 3.8, which requires tcl-dev and
    tk-dev. I've installed tcl-dev but can't seem to find tk-dev anywhere.
    Does anybody know where I could find it?

    Thanks

  2. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to install aMSN on OpenBSD 3.8, which requires tcl-dev and
    > tk-dev. I've installed tcl-dev but can't seem to find tk-dev anywhere.
    > Does anybody know where I could find it?

    I'd be most interested in knowing where you found tcl-dev, as a) I
    cannot find it on ftp.openbsd.org, b) it's not in my ports tree, and c)
    it would be the first -dev package I ever saw for OpenBSD.

    OpenBSD is a programmers' system; as such, development stuff is included
    in the package by default. Install your version of choice of the tcl-*
    and tk-* packages; if you have a ports tree locally, they are under
    /usr/ports/lang/tcl and /usr/ports/x11/tk.

    Joachim

  3. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    My mistake, I didn't install a tcl-dev package for OBSD3.8. aMSN
    required "tcl-dev" and "tk-dev" and when I installed tcl-8.4.7p1 it
    satisfied ./configure of aMSN. Installing tk from ports didn't work
    with another try of ./configure

    I get:

    -snip-
    checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    checking tk build dir... configure: error: Unable to find Tk directory
    or Tk package is not tk-dev

    Fluce

  4. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > My mistake, I didn't install a tcl-dev package for OBSD3.8. aMSN
    > required "tcl-dev" and "tk-dev" and when I installed tcl-8.4.7p1 it
    > satisfied ./configure of aMSN. Installing tk from ports didn't work
    > with another try of ./configure
    >
    > I get:
    >
    > -snip-
    > checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    > checking tk build dir... configure: error: Unable to find Tk directory
    > or Tk package is not tk-dev

    Hmm, could you send the exact command line you entered and config.log?

    If there is a --with-tk option, you may want to try --with-tk=/usr/local
    and --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4, or whereever tk is installed by
    default (pkg_info -L tk-x.y.z).

    Joachim

  5. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > My mistake, I didn't install a tcl-dev package for OBSD3.8. aMSN
    > > required "tcl-dev" and "tk-dev" and when I installed tcl-8.4.7p1 it
    > > satisfied ./configure of aMSN. Installing tk from ports didn't work
    > > with another try of ./configure
    > >
    > > I get:
    > >
    > > -snip-
    > > checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    > > checking tk build dir... configure: error: Unable to find Tk directory
    > > or Tk package is not tk-dev

    > Hmm, could you send the exact command line you entered and config.log?
    >
    > If there is a --with-tk option, you may want to try --with-tk=/usr/local
    > and --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4, or whereever tk is installed by
    > default (pkg_info -L tk-x.y.z).
    >
    > Joachim

    I now get a different errormessage when trying your suggestion
    --with-tk. My exact command line is now:

    ../configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4

    I guess when you say config.log you mean to total output I get from
    that command, which is as follows:

    [root@obsd amsn-0.95]$./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for g++... g++
    checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    checking for prefix by checking for wish... no
    checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    checking tk build dir... using tk library in /usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    configure: error: You dot not have a devel package of Tk
    [root@obsd amsn-0.95]$

    Thanks

  6. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >> fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> > My mistake, I didn't install a tcl-dev package for OBSD3.8. aMSN
    >> > required "tcl-dev" and "tk-dev" and when I installed tcl-8.4.7p1 it
    >> > satisfied ./configure of aMSN. Installing tk from ports didn't work
    >> > with another try of ./configure
    >> >
    >> > I get:
    >> >
    >> > -snip-
    >> > checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    >> > checking tk build dir... configure: error: Unable to find Tk directory
    >> > or Tk package is not tk-dev

    >> Hmm, could you send the exact command line you entered and config.log?
    >>
    >> If there is a --with-tk option, you may want to try --with-tk=/usr/local
    >> and --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4, or whereever tk is installed by
    >> default (pkg_info -L tk-x.y.z).
    >>
    >> Joachim

    > I now get a different errormessage when trying your suggestion
    > --with-tk. My exact command line is now:
    >
    > ./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    >
    > I guess when you say config.log you mean to total output I get from
    > that command, which is as follows:
    >
    > [root@obsd amsn-0.95]$./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > checking for gcc... gcc
    > checking for suffix of executables...
    > checking for g++... g++
    > checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    > checking for prefix by checking for wish... no
    > checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    > checking tk build dir... using tk library in /usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > configure: error: You dot not have a devel package of Tk
    > [root@obsd amsn-0.95]$

    Looks like it does not found something it is asking for.

    As to config.log, it is a file found in the directory where you ran
    configure after you run it, and it contains more verbose messages than
    the screen output (which tells you what failed, but not why).

    What version are you installing? I tried a quick test run of amsn-0.95,
    but found other error messages than you list - notably, it doesn't find
    tcl by default.

    Are you running 3.8-stable, with all packages from ports and nothing
    funny going on otherwise?

    Joachim

  7. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    Hello,

    I'm trying with amsn-0.95 to. I doesn't seem to be any trouble locating
    tcl in my setup. I'm running 3.8-stable with ports and packages from a
    mirror of ftp.openbsd.org, nothing funny going on.

    The config.log is so big I don't think I can post it here, maybe I can
    send it to you by mail?

    Regards
    Fluce

  8. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying with amsn-0.95 to. I doesn't seem to be any trouble locating
    > tcl in my setup. I'm running 3.8-stable with ports and packages from a
    > mirror of ftp.openbsd.org, nothing funny going on.
    >
    > The config.log is so big I don't think I can post it here, maybe I can
    > send it to you by mail?

    Please do. The email adress in the headers is genuine, once you do the
    obvious.

    Joachim

  9. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > --with-tk. My exact command line is now:
    >
    > ./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    >
    > I guess when you say config.log you mean to total output I get from
    > that command, which is as follows:
    >
    > [root@obsd amsn-0.95]$./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > checking for gcc... gcc
    > checking for suffix of executables...
    > checking for g++... g++
    > checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    > checking for prefix by checking for wish... no
    > checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    > checking tk build dir... using tk library in /usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > configure: error: You dot not have a devel package of Tk

    you probably need to specify where it can find the tk headers.

  10. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >> fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> > My mistake, I didn't install a tcl-dev package for OBSD3.8. aMSN
    >> > required "tcl-dev" and "tk-dev" and when I installed tcl-8.4.7p1 it
    >> > satisfied ./configure of aMSN. Installing tk from ports didn't work
    >> > with another try of ./configure
    >> >
    >> > I get:
    >> >
    >> > -snip-
    >> > checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    >> > checking tk build dir... configure: error: Unable to find Tk directory
    >> > or Tk package is not tk-dev

    >> Hmm, could you send the exact command line you entered and config.log?
    >>
    >> If there is a --with-tk option, you may want to try --with-tk=/usr/local
    >> and --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4, or whereever tk is installed by
    >> default (pkg_info -L tk-x.y.z).
    >>
    >> Joachim

    > I now get a different errormessage when trying your suggestion
    > --with-tk. My exact command line is now:
    >
    > ./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    >
    > I guess when you say config.log you mean to total output I get from
    > that command, which is as follows:
    >
    > [root@obsd amsn-0.95]$./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > checking for gcc... gcc
    > checking for suffix of executables...
    > checking for g++... g++
    > checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    > checking for prefix by checking for wish... no
    > checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    > checking tk build dir... using tk library in /usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > configure: error: You dot not have a devel package of Tk

    Ah, reproducable locally using

    ../configure --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4.

    I am now looking into the program. Some hacking is required to make it
    compile; in particular, it does not seem to like tcl and tk not having
    headers and libraries under one directory.

    Is there a good reason GAIM doesn't work for you?

    Joachim

  11. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    steven mestdagh wrote:
    > fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> --with-tk. My exact command line is now:
    >>
    >> ./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    >>
    >> I guess when you say config.log you mean to total output I get from
    >> that command, which is as follows:
    >>
    >> [root@obsd amsn-0.95]$./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    >> checking for gcc... gcc
    >> checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
    >> checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    >> checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    >> checking for suffix of executables...
    >> checking for suffix of object files... o
    >> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    >> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    >> checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
    >> checking for g++... g++
    >> checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
    >> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    >> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
    >> checking for prefix by checking for wish... no
    >> checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    >> checking tk build dir... using tk library in /usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    >> configure: error: You dot not have a devel package of Tk

    > you probably need to specify where it can find the tk headers.

    Yes, you do. But it appears not to know to look under
    /usr/local/includes/tk8.4.

    Joachim

  12. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:

    > >> Hmm, could you send the exact command line you entered and config.log?
    > >>
    > >> If there is a --with-tk option, you may want to try --with-tk=/usr/local
    > >> and --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4, or whereever tk is installed by
    > >> default (pkg_info -L tk-x.y.z).
    > >>
    > >> Joachim

    > > I now get a different errormessage when trying your suggestion
    > > --with-tk. My exact command line is now:
    > >
    > > ./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > >
    > > I guess when you say config.log you mean to total output I get from
    > > that command, which is as follows:
    > >
    > > [root@obsd amsn-0.95]$./configure --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > > checking for gcc... gcc
    > > checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
    > > checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    > > checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    > > checking for suffix of executables...
    > > checking for suffix of object files... o
    > > checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    > > checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    > > checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
    > > checking for g++... g++
    > > checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
    > > checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    > > checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
    > > checking for prefix by checking for wish... no
    > > checking tcl build dir... using tcl library in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    > > checking tk build dir... using tk library in /usr/local/lib/tk8.4
    > > configure: error: You dot not have a devel package of Tk

    > Ah, reproducable locally using
    >
    > ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
    > --with-tk=/usr/local/lib/tk8.4.
    >
    > I am now looking into the program. Some hacking is required to make it
    > compile; in particular, it does not seem to like tcl and tk not having
    > headers and libraries under one directory.
    >
    > Is there a good reason GAIM doesn't work for you?
    >
    > Joachim

    I'm trying GAIM now but I like the look and feel of aMSN. But it's not
    a "super must have" I guess.

    Thanks for helping out!

  13. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >> Is there a good reason GAIM doesn't work for you?

    > I'm trying GAIM now but I like the look and feel of aMSN. But it's not
    > a "super must have" I guess.
    >
    > Thanks for helping out!

    Okay. It should be port-able, but looks like quite a bit of work for
    something I'd personally never use and that is mostly redundant with
    GAIM anyway.

    Joachim

  14. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > fluce5@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > >> Is there a good reason GAIM doesn't work for you?

    > > I'm trying GAIM now but I like the look and feel of aMSN. But it's not
    > > a "super must have" I guess.
    > >
    > > Thanks for helping out!

    > Okay. It should be port-able, but looks like quite a bit of work for
    > something I'd personally never use and that is mostly redundant with
    > GAIM anyway.
    >
    > Joachim

    Thanks, I guess I'll stick with GAIM.

  15. Re: aMSN, finding tk-dev

    Hi,

    You could try the following while installing aMSN.

    ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.5 --with-tk=/usr/lib/tk8.5

    Points to note :

    1) --with-tcl looks for the directory in which tcl8.5 or whatever version installed is found on your system.
    2) --with-tk looks for the directory in which tk is installed.

    To recap, the steps are :
    a. ./configure
    b. make
    c. make install
    d. ./amsn or launch from the desktop environment you are using.

    I am also a newbie and thus any methods that makes life easier for us on Linux is welcomed :-)

    Cheers,
    Glenn

+ Reply to Thread