OpenBSD is a great OS - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD is a great OS - BSD ; Hi, After spending about 3 weeks on some legacy code at work that uses RPC to do some NFS performance testing, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the code continually hangs when run on the ...

  1. OpenBSD is a great OS

    Hi,

    After spending about 3 weeks on some legacy code at work that uses RPC
    to do some NFS performance testing, I was pulling my hair out trying to
    figure out why the code continually hangs when run on the Linux systems
    that we're migrating to.

    We're currently migrating from HP-UX to Linux (I don't have any control
    over this). This program that I'm refering to basically asks the use
    to enter how big each file will be and the number of files to create on
    the command line when launched. On HP-UX, it run soup to nuts just
    fine. However, on Linux, it hard locks when trying to write the 3rd
    file (usually, sometimes more quickly).

    Anyway, earlier this week I was consulting one of our resident experts
    on network related programming about this and he suggested I look in to
    the number of mbuffs. It sounded like the kernel was running out of
    mbuffs. (This suggestion came because I'd been narrowed it down to
    being system related calls in the RPC libraries.) Well, Linux as most
    of you probably know Linux doesn't use mbuffs, it apparently uses
    something called sk_buff.

    In any event, the long and the short of it is as a test to make sure it
    was the kernel having problems; I brought in my copy of OpenBSD 3.4
    from home. I loaded it on a laptop, a rather old and frankly junky,
    laptop that we got for easy testing of IR. I loaded up OpenBSD and
    after loading a few packages to get the code to compile, I ran the
    program soup to nuts about 6 or 8 times without a hitch. Bear in mind
    that two of these runs were creating 90 files.

    Now, here's the shocker. These workstations that we're migrating to
    Linux on, are HP xw8000 workstations with Intel dual XEON 3.something
    GHz processors with 3.5 gigabytes of RAM. This piece of junk laptop I
    was using, an Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz with 256 mb of RAM.

    I'm not wanting to start flaming wars and this isn't a troll posting.
    Nice job on writing an OS that's got what it takes. After this week,
    I'm seeing the truth in statements I've seen made by others that Linux
    should not be used on anything but a desktop machine. If the Linux
    kernel (2.6.x) couldn't handle this little bit of UDP traffic on as
    beefy a machine as I was using, what else can't it do?

    Nice job OpenBSD,
    Andy

  2. Re: OpenBSD is a great OS

    > I'm not wanting to start flaming wars and this isn't a troll posting.
    > Nice job on writing an OS that's got what it takes. After this week,
    > I'm seeing the truth in statements I've seen made by others that Linux
    > should not be used on anything but a desktop machine. If the Linux
    > kernel (2.6.x) couldn't handle this little bit of UDP traffic on as
    > beefy a machine as I was using, what else can't it do?
    >
    > Nice job OpenBSD,
    > Andy

    Just curious, what Linux version and distro was this?

+ Reply to Thread