pppoe(4) - BSD

This is a discussion on pppoe(4) - BSD ; Hi all When I try to connect to my ISP over PPPoE using a pppoe device it doesn't work. However, when trying the same with pppoe(8) and ppp it works perfectly well. I wonder whether a ppp device - or ...

  1. pppoe(4)

    Hi all

    When I try to connect to my ISP over PPPoE using a pppoe device it
    doesn't work. However, when trying the same with pppoe(8) and ppp it
    works perfectly well.

    I wonder whether a ppp device - or something else that speaks PPP,
    since in the man page of pppoe(4) it only sais 'the pppoe interface
    encapsulates PPP packets inside Ethernet frames', not explicitly
    stating whether or not it actually generates PPP packets, although from
    the contents of the rest of the man page one should think it does - has
    to be plugged on top of the pppoe device. Is this true? And if so, how
    do I do it?

    Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: pppoe(4)

    On 19/12/2005 11:09 AM, Damian wrote:
    > When I try to connect to my ISP over PPPoE using a pppoe device it
    > doesn't work. However, when trying the same with pppoe(8) and ppp it
    > works perfectly well.
    >
    > I wonder whether a ppp device - or something else that speaks PPP,
    > since in the man page of pppoe(4) it only sais 'the pppoe interface
    > encapsulates PPP packets inside Ethernet frames', not explicitly
    > stating whether or not it actually generates PPP packets, although from
    > the contents of the rest of the man page one should think it does - has
    > to be plugged on top of the pppoe device. Is this true? And if so, how
    > do I do it?

    I have a PPPoE connection to my provider, and it requires a
    PPP-controlled connection. The ppp session uses the /usr/sbin/pppoe
    "device" as defined in the ppp.conf file to dial, make the connection,
    and set routing.

    For example, I define a "pppoe" section in my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file and
    then have /etc/netstart run a script that does (among other things) "ppp
    -ddial pppoe".

    All this is circa 3.1 because I'm too lazy to update it.

    If you want to see the script I use, or an example ppp.conf, let me know.

  3. Re: pppoe(4)

    Hi clvrmnky

    What do you mean by an "PPP-controlled connection"? I would prefer the
    kernel pppoe device over the user-land pppoe program, but maybe that is
    impossible because of the "PPP-controlled connection"?

    Greetings
    Damian

  4. Re: pppoe(4)

    On 19/12/2005 1:01 PM, Damian wrote:

    > What do you mean by an "PPP-controlled connection"? I would prefer the
    > kernel pppoe device over the user-land pppoe program, but maybe that is
    > impossible because of the "PPP-controlled connection"?

    [To keep things clear, you might want to get in the habit of including
    what you are replying to in a message.]

    I don't know anything about any kernel pppoe. I only use the userland
    one in /usr/sbin/pppoe. It's just a device that PPP uses to establish
    and maintain a connection.

    If later releases have a stable working kernel pppoe device, then this
    will likely be different, of course.

  5. Re: pppoe(4)

    Damian wrote:

    > I wonder whether a ppp device - or something else that speaks PPP,
    > since in the man page of pppoe(4) it only sais 'the pppoe interface
    > encapsulates PPP packets inside Ethernet frames', not explicitly
    > stating whether or not it actually generates PPP packets, although from
    > the contents of the rest of the man page one should think it does - has
    > to be plugged on top of the pppoe device. Is this true?

    Yes, the actual PPP protocol is handled by sppp(4). However, you
    don't need any explicit configuration for this.

    --
    Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

+ Reply to Thread