[?] howto custom 38cd.iso - BSD

This is a discussion on [?] howto custom 38cd.iso - BSD ; WHY AM I DOING THIS: I have limited internet access, a very very slow internet connection (dialup), no official cd money. CURRENT SYSTEM (All work is beoing preformed on): Windows XP - so all the guides dealing with building an ...

  1. [?] howto custom 38cd.iso

    WHY AM I DOING THIS:
    I have limited internet access, a very very slow internet connection
    (dialup), no official cd money.

    CURRENT SYSTEM (All work is beoing preformed on):
    Windows XP - so all the guides dealing with building an obsd cd from
    current system dont apply to me.

    APPLICATIONS/SOFTWARE USED:
    - WinISO to add the necessary files to cd38.iso
    - Nero to burn iso image

    WHAT I HAVE DONE:
    Over the past week(Yes, you heard right! The past week.. I have dialup
    and even worse AOL frawn). Anyhow, I have downloaded

    and built the following cd structure using the orignial 38cd.iso found
    on the main OBSD mirror as a starting point.

    THE PROBLEM:
    when I test the iso in vmWare 5.x.x everything is fine until the
    install asks where my "sets" are located as you can see the

    "sets" are located in the default folder (3.8/i386) and for one reason
    or another my cd fails on locating the files.

    Do I need to edit some file located in the original 38cd.iso when
    adding "sets" ? I just noticed that in the boot.conf the

    BSD.RD file is referenced in the follwoing manner "set image
    /3.8/i386/bsd.rd
    " must this be done for all sets i wish to

    include?

    Code:
    CD38
       puffy38.gif
       TRANS.TBL

    +---3.8
          ANNOUNCEMENT
          ftplist
          HARDWARE
          PACKAGES
          PORTS
          ports.tar.gz
          root.mail
          src.tar.gz
          sys.tar.gz
          XF4.tar.gz

       +---i386
               base38.tgz
               BOOT.CATALOG
               bsd
               bsd.mp
               BSD.RD
               CDBOOT
               CDBR
               CKSUM
               comp38.tgz
               etc38.tgz
               game38.tgz
               INSTALL.i386
               man38.tgz
               MD5
               misc38.tgz
               pxeboot
               xbase38.tgz
               xfont38.tgz
               xserv38.tgz

    +---ETC
           BOOT.CONF

    +---OpenBGPD
           openbgpd-3.7.tgz
           openbgpd.gif

    +---OpenCVS
           opencvs.gif

    +---OpenNTPD
           openntpd-3.7.tgz
           openntpd.jpg

    +---OpenSSH
    openssh-4.2.tar.gz
    openssh.gif

  2. Re: [?] howto custom 38cd.iso

    On 10 Dec 2005 12:31:14 -0800, "integer"
    reported to us:

    >WHY AM I DOING THIS:
    >I have limited internet access, a very very slow internet connection
    >(dialup), no official cd money.
    >
    >CURRENT SYSTEM (All work is beoing preformed on):
    >Windows XP - so all the guides dealing with building an obsd cd from
    >current system dont apply to me.
    >
    >APPLICATIONS/SOFTWARE USED:
    >- WinISO to add the necessary files to cd38.iso
    >- Nero to burn iso image
    >
    >WHAT I HAVE DONE:
    >Over the past week(Yes, you heard right! The past week.. I have dialup
    >and even worse AOL frawn). Anyhow, I have downloaded
    >
    >and built the following cd structure using the orignial 38cd.iso found
    >on the main OBSD mirror as a starting point.
    >
    >THE PROBLEM:
    >when I test the iso in vmWare 5.x.x everything is fine until the
    >install asks where my "sets" are located as you can see the
    >
    >"sets" are located in the default folder (3.8/i386) and for one reason
    >or another my cd fails on locating the files.
    >
    >Do I need to edit some file located in the original 38cd.iso when
    >adding "sets" ? I just noticed that in the boot.conf the
    >
    >BSD.RD file is referenced in the follwoing manner "set image
    >/3.8/i386/bsd.rd
    >" must this be done for all sets i wish to
    >
    >include?

    Code:
    >CD38
    >   puffy38.gif
    >   TRANS.TBL
    >
    >+---3.8
    >      ANNOUNCEMENT
    >      ftplist
    >      HARDWARE
    >      PACKAGES
    >      PORTS
    >      ports.tar.gz
    >      root.mail
    >      src.tar.gz
    >      sys.tar.gz
    >      XF4.tar.gz
    >
    >   +---i386
    >           base38.tgz
    >           BOOT.CATALOG
    >           bsd
    >           bsd.mp
    >           BSD.RD
    >           CDBOOT
    >           CDBR
    >           CKSUM
    >           comp38.tgz
    >           etc38.tgz
    >           game38.tgz
    >           INSTALL.i386
    >           man38.tgz
    >           MD5
    >           misc38.tgz
    >           pxeboot
    >           xbase38.tgz
    >           xfont38.tgz
    >           xserv38.tgz
    >
    >+---ETC
    >       BOOT.CONF
    >
    >+---OpenBGPD
    >       openbgpd-3.7.tgz
    >       openbgpd.gif
    >
    >+---OpenCVS
    >       opencvs.gif
    >
    >+---OpenNTPD
    >       openntpd-3.7.tgz
    >       openntpd.jpg
    >
    >+---OpenSSH
    >        openssh-4.2.tar.gz
    >        openssh.gif

    How about putting the stuff on an internal ftp server? You could
    boot to floppy / cd and install via ftp.

    Wally

    "No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
    Sir Frederick G. Banting

+ Reply to Thread