OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet - BSD

This is a discussion on OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet - BSD ; Hi, I have a systemboard on which I want to run OBSD 3.8. The on-board NIC is an nVidia nForce chipset, which isn't listed in the HCL. Any idea if there's a workaround? Thank you. Huub...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Hi,

    I have a systemboard on which I want to run OBSD 3.8. The on-board NIC
    is an nVidia nForce chipset, which isn't listed in the HCL. Any idea if
    there's a workaround?

    Thank you.

    Huub

  2. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Huub wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a systemboard on which I want to run OBSD 3.8. The on-board NIC
    > is an nVidia nForce chipset, which isn't listed in the HCL. Any idea if
    > there's a workaround?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Huub

    It works. If for some reason it doesn't work get a Realtek 8139 PCI card for
    a few dollars.

    gtoomey

  3. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    > It works. If for some reason it doesn't work get a Realtek 8139 PCI card for
    > a few dollars.
    >
    > gtoomey

    If it works, then why says Install it can't connect to the internet? I
    filled everything as usual for installing over ftp. When I for verifying
    installed Window2000, it didn't indicate a NIC. And 2 brandnew
    systemboards having a broken NIC isn't very plausible to me.

  4. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Huub <"v.niekerk at freeler.nl"> wrote:

    > > It works. If for some reason it doesn't work get a Realtek 8139 PCI
    > > card for a few dollars.
    > >
    > > gtoomey

    > If it works, then why says Install it can't connect to the internet? I
    > filled everything as usual for installing over ftp.

    you need to read openbsd.org/report.html - this is a useless report.

  5. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Huub <"v.niekerk at freeler.nl"> wrote:

    >> It works. If for some reason it doesn't work get a Realtek 8139 PCI card
    >> for a few dollars.
    >>
    >> gtoomey

    > If it works, then why says Install it can't connect to the internet? I
    > filled everything as usual for installing over ftp. When I for verifying
    > installed Window2000, it didn't indicate a NIC. And 2 brandnew
    > systemboards having a broken NIC isn't very plausible to me.

    I've never installed using ftp, only CD. The CD is only a few hundred
    megabytes.

    After installation, as root type ifconfig (or ifconfig -a, can remember
    which). What will show the name openbsd uses for the nic, probably nv0 or
    nve0. Then follow the manual.

    I've definitely got 3.8 working on an ASUS a7n266-vm in the past 2 weeks.

    gtoomey

  6. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    > I've never installed using ftp, only CD. The CD is only a few hundred
    > megabytes.
    >
    > After installation, as root type ifconfig (or ifconfig -a, can remember
    > which). What will show the name openbsd uses for the nic, probably nv0 or
    > nve0. Then follow the manual.
    >
    > I've definitely got 3.8 working on an ASUS a7n266-vm in the past 2 weeks.
    >
    > gtoomey

    OK. I've downloaded cd38.iso, burned it and booted it. Looks like
    installing goes fine, but it keeps saying bsd.rd isn't installed. After
    reboot, it does boot but all directories are empty.
    Systemboard: Asus K8N.

  7. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Begin <438b17a3@news.comindico.com.au>
    On 2005-11-28, Gregory Toomey wrote:
    > Huub <"v.niekerk at freeler.nl"> wrote:
    >>> It works. If for some reason it doesn't work get a Realtek 8139 PCI card
    >>> for a few dollars.

    I wouldn't, as they suck. Even the fairly sucky but less so than
    realteks can be had for under 15 EUR retail.

    >> If it works, then why says Install it can't connect to the internet?

    [snip]

    This, Huub, is the big question. The cause does not have to be your
    network card, but it may be. Unfortunately, we do not have the
    information to answer that, only you do.

    > I've never installed using ftp, only CD. The CD is only a few hundred
    > megabytes.

    And a couple of times over what you actually need to install just the
    one machine. I do feel old, remembering getting mail and news[1] over a
    2400 baud modem. It has only been a few years.

    [1] fidomail and echomail, actually, but hey.

  8. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    > I wouldn't, as they suck. Even the fairly sucky but less so than
    > realteks can be had for under 15 EUR retail.

    Really?

    > This, Huub, is the big question. The cause does not have to be your
    > network card, but it may be. Unfortunately, we do not have the
    > information to answer that, only you do.

    Ok. Wrong start.

    >>I've never installed using ftp, only CD. The CD is only a few hundred
    >>megabytes.

    > And a couple of times over what you actually need to install just the
    > one machine. I do feel old, remembering getting mail and news[1] over a
    > 2400 baud modem. It has only been a few years.

    On the disposed machine, I easily accessed the internet, selected the
    few sets I needed and installed the bunch. Now, testing on 2 operating
    systems, somehow the NIC isn't even detected.

    This is when booted from CD after creating partitions and labels (manually):

    [x] bsd.rd
    Get name? (or 'done') [done]
    Ready to install sets? [yes]
    Getting bsd.rd ...
    100% |.......................| 4549 KB 00:02
    Location of sets? (cd disk ftp http or 'done')[cd] done
    'bsd' was not installed.
    Are you *SURE* your install is complete without 'bsd'? [no]

    I hope this shows what my problem is.

  9. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Huub <"v.niekerk at freeler.nl"> wrote:

    > > I wouldn't, as they suck. Even the fairly sucky but less so than
    > > realteks can be had for under 15 EUR retail.
    > >

    > Really?
    >
    > > This, Huub, is the big question. The cause does not have to be your
    > > network card, but it may be. Unfortunately, we do not have the
    > > information to answer that, only you do.
    > >

    > Ok. Wrong start.
    >

    > >>I've never installed using ftp, only CD. The CD is only a few hundred
    > >>megabytes.

    > > And a couple of times over what you actually need to install just the
    > > one machine. I do feel old, remembering getting mail and news[1] over a
    > > 2400 baud modem. It has only been a few years.
    > >

    > On the disposed machine, I easily accessed the internet, selected the
    > few sets I needed and installed the bunch. Now, testing on 2 operating
    > systems, somehow the NIC isn't even detected.
    >
    > This is when booted from CD after creating partitions and labels (manually):
    >
    > [x] bsd.rd
    > Get name? (or 'done') [done]
    > Ready to install sets? [yes]
    > Getting bsd.rd ...
    > 100% |.......................| 4549 KB 00:02
    > Location of sets? (cd disk ftp http or 'done')[cd] done
    > 'bsd' was not installed.
    > Are you *SURE* your install is complete without 'bsd'? [no]
    >

    > I hope this shows what my problem is.

    the cd38.iso does not contain the file sets. READ
    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

  10. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Huub <"v.niekerk at freeler.nl"> writes:

    > This is when booted from CD after creating partitions and labels (manually):
    >
    > [x] bsd.rd
    > Get name? (or 'done') [done]
    > Ready to install sets? [yes]
    > Getting bsd.rd ...
    > 100% |.......................| 4549 KB 00:02
    > Location of sets? (cd disk ftp http or 'done')[cd] done
    > 'bsd' was not installed.
    > Are you *SURE* your install is complete without 'bsd'? [no]

    Well, this looks like you downloaded

    -r--r--r-- 1 1114 1114 2949120 Sep 16 19:30 cdrom38.fs

    which is not a full install disk, only a minimal installer bootstrap.
    Using that iso, you can burn a CD which you can boot from and install
    from disk, ftp or http. Or of course a separate CD with the actual
    install sets on them.

    At some point the installer should ask you if you want to do any network
    configuration, offering all recognized network interfaces as options.

  11. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    > Well, this looks like you downloaded
    >
    > -r--r--r-- 1 1114 1114 2949120 Sep 16 19:30 cdrom38.fs

    No, I downloaded cd38.iso.

    > which is not a full install disk, only a minimal installer bootstrap.
    > Using that iso, you can burn a CD which you can boot from and install
    > from disk, ftp or http. Or of course a separate CD with the actual
    > install sets on them.
    >
    > At some point the installer should ask you if you want to do any network
    > configuration, offering all recognized network interfaces as options.

    Reading the faq: it doesn't come up with an available network interface.
    All it says is 'Configure the network? [yes]', then it comes with
    'Symbolic (host)name'.

  12. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Huub <"v.niekerk at freeler.nl"> wrote:

    > OK. I've downloaded cd38.iso, burned it and booted it. Looks like
    > installing goes fine, but it keeps saying bsd.rd isn't installed. After
    > reboot, it does boot but all directories are empty.
    > Systemboard: Asus K8N.

    I download TWO cds. This is not documented very well.

    CD1: cd38.iso (iso format) , you have that.
    CD2: A data CD (data, not iso format) and contains bsd* and *tgz ( from
    ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.8/i386/ )

    When you are asked for the filesets, put in CD2, enter 'all'.

    gtoomey

  13. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Gregory Toomey wrote:

    > I download TWO cds. This is not documented very well.
    >
    > CD1: cd38.iso (iso format) , you have that.
    > CD2: A data CD (data, not iso format) and contains bsd* and *tgz ( from
    > ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.8/i386/ )
    >
    > When you are asked for the filesets, put in CD2, enter 'all'.

    It will also ask you where the filesets are in the CD, and defaults to
    something like "3.8/...". You will probably want to enter "/"

    gtoomey

  14. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Huub <"v.niekerk at freeler.nl"> writes:

    > No, I downloaded cd38.iso.

    Note to self: never post when you don't have time to check what you are
    posting. cd38.iso is what I described -

    > Reading the faq: it doesn't come up with an available network
    > interface. All it says is 'Configure the network? [yes]', then it
    > comes with 'Symbolic (host)name'.

    If the installer does not list available interfaces (see
    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Network), then it does sound like
    the installer does not have the proper driver. Which is a bit strange,
    since http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html lists "NVidia nForce2 integrated
    3Com 9201 (nForce2-ST, nForce2-GT)" as supported by the xl driver.

    It is vaguely possible that a full GENERIC kernel contains the bits you
    need. In that case, getting install media with install sets available
    locally is necessary. If you don't have official sets ready or do not
    have the patience, several recipes for rolling your own are available by
    searching on the obvious key words.

  15. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Huub wrote:

    > I have a systemboard on which I want to run OBSD 3.8. The on-board NIC
    > is an nVidia nForce chipset, which isn't listed in the HCL. Any idea if
    > there's a workaround?

    The Nvidia nForce MCP ethernet is not supported. Nvidia does not
    provide any documentation, only a Linux binary-only object file.
    The workaround would be to add a supported NIC in an expansion slot.

    --
    Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

  16. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Gregory Toomey wrote:
    > Gregory Toomey wrote:
    >

    >>I download TWO cds. This is not documented very well.

    Thank you...

    >>CD1: cd38.iso (iso format) , you have that.
    >>CD2: A data CD (data, not iso format) and contains bsd* and *tgz ( from
    >>ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.8/i386/ )
    >>
    >>When you are asked for the filesets, put in CD2, enter 'all'.

    > It will also ask you where the filesets are in the CD, and defaults to
    > something like "3.8/...". You will probably want to enter "/"

    It took some trying (glad I use cdrw's), but now I got OBSD 3.8 running.
    Unfortunately still without network. When looking with dmesg, and
    searching for LAN I get:

    Nvidia nForce3\240LAN at pci0
    Nvidia nForce3 LAN at tci0
    Nvidia nForce3 LAN at pci0

    None of them is configured.

    ifconfig shows:

    lo0
    pflog0
    pfsync0
    enc0

    I tried enc0, but that didn't work out. Any clue?
    > gtoomey

  17. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    jpd wrote:
    > [...] And a couple of times over what you actually need to install just the
    > one machine. I do feel old [...]

    Considering your email address that surprises me

  18. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Begin <43908081$0$33780$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl>
    On 2005-12-02, Jaap Versteegh wrote:
    > jpd wrote:
    >> [...] And a couple of times over what you actually need to install just the
    >> one machine. I do feel old [...]

    > Considering your email address that surprises me

    Even if I had one of those really spiffy FTTD uplinks[1]: Having lots of
    bandwidth does not in itself justify wasting it just because we can.

    [1] They're actually much less spiffy than they look, unfortunately.

  19. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:01:39 -0800, Huub wrote:

    > Hi,

    Good evening

    > I have a systemboard on which I want to run OBSD 3.8. The on-board NIC
    > is an nVidia nForce chipset, which isn't listed in the HCL. Any idea if
    > there's a workaround?

    Yes, there is. Throw away all your cheap hardware. Go to
    http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html and buy new hardware. nVidia is evil,
    just like ATI. Do you think I've written this hardware for fun you idiot?
    You deserve a good kick in the butt.

    --
    Theo de Raadt.
    http://www.openbsd.org/

  20. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    > Yes, there is. Throw away all your cheap hardware. Go to
    > http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html and buy new hardware. nVidia is evil,
    > just like ATI. Do you think I've written this hardware for fun you
    > idiot? You deserve a good kick in the butt.

    Actually it is a brandnew Asus K8N. Nothing cheap about that. Inserted a
    RTL NIC and it's working. Thanks for responding (and I don't consider
    myself an idiot).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast