OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet - BSD

This is a discussion on OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet - BSD ; huub wrote: >> >> Yes, there is. Throw away all your cheap hardware. Go to >> http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html and buy new hardware. nVidia is evil, >> just like ATI. Do you think I've written this hardware for fun you >> idiot? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    huub wrote:

    >> Yes, there is. Throw away all your cheap hardware. Go to
    >> http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html and buy new hardware. nVidia is evil,
    >> just like ATI. Do you think I've written this hardware for fun you
    >> idiot? You deserve a good kick in the butt.
    >>

    > Actually it is a brandnew Asus K8N. Nothing cheap about that. Inserted a
    > RTL NIC and it's working. Thanks for responding (and I don't consider
    > myself an idiot).

    You *are* aware it's a troll right? The *real* Theo is the founder of
    the OpenBSD project, and though he can be nasty at times, he does make a
    little more sense than this guy.

    Joachim

  2. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    > You *are* aware it's a troll right? The *real* Theo is the founder of
    > the OpenBSD project, and though he can be nasty at times, he does make a
    > little more sense than this guy.
    >
    > Joachim

    Being a newbie to OpenBSD, how do I know the difference?

  3. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    huub wrote:

    >> You *are* aware it's a troll right? The *real* Theo is the founder of
    >> the OpenBSD project, and though he can be nasty at times, he does make a
    >> little more sense than this guy.
    >>
    >> Joachim

    > Being a newbie to OpenBSD, how do I know the difference?

    The real one does not post in this newsgroup (at least, I've never seen
    him do it), and I doubt he ever posted anything from
    arrogant@openbsd.org. ;-)

    Also, while nasty, the nastiness is usually aimed at people who did
    something to deserve it. Not necessarily enough to make the average
    developer that angry (or even to get more than a 'oh we saw this
    question 8273212 times already, go read the archives/FAQ/man page' or
    'go fix it yourself' from the misc@openbsd.org regulars), but Theo
    doesn't flame people just because he feels like it.

    This particular troll just didn't like Theo, it seems.

    Joachim

  4. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:33:41 +0000, jKILLSPAM.schipper wrote:

    >> Being a newbie to OpenBSD, how do I know the difference?

    > The real one does not post in this newsgroup (at least, I've never seen
    > him do it), and I doubt he ever posted anything from
    > arrogant@openbsd.org. ;-)

    If you really want him to flame you, use his real email address - it comes
    up when you boot OpenBSD.

    > This particular troll just didn't like Theo, it seems.

    It's pretty ambivalent about him. Wants to smear him, but also wants to
    be like Theo and is frustrated at not being like him. Probably the troll
    writes DOS batch programs to feel powerful.

    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m

  5. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Mark South wrote:
    > It's pretty ambivalent about him. Wants to smear him, but
    > also wants to be like Theo and is frustrated at not being like
    > him. Probably the troll writes DOS batch programs to feel
    > powerful.

    "It puts the REM statements in the AUTOEXEC.BAT!"

    Tim Hammerquist

  6. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:30:57 +0000, Tim Hammerquist wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> It's pretty ambivalent about him. Wants to smear him, but
    >> also wants to be like Theo and is frustrated at not being like
    >> him. Probably the troll writes DOS batch programs to feel
    >> powerful.

    > "It puts the REM statements in the AUTOEXEC.BAT!"

    LOL!

    The most efficient AUTOEXEC.BAT from the point of view of productivity
    (vide X-terms discussion in another thread) is one containing the single
    line "FDISK C:").

    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m

  7. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:30:57 +0000, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:
    >>> (...) Probably the troll writes DOS batch programs to feel
    >>> powerful.

    >> "It puts the REM statements in the AUTOEXEC.BAT!"

    > LOL!
    >
    > The most efficient AUTOEXEC.BAT from the point of view of productivity
    > (vide X-terms discussion in another thread) is one containing the single
    > line "FDISK C:").

    Well, you *could* create an AUTOEXEC.BAT that automagically installs
    everyone's[1] favourite OS...

    Joachim

    [1] For certain values of everyone.

  8. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:13:19 +0000, jKILLSPAM.schipper wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:

    >>> "It puts the REM statements in the AUTOEXEC.BAT!"

    >> LOL!
    >>
    >> The most efficient AUTOEXEC.BAT from the point of view of productivity
    >> (vide X-terms discussion in another thread) is one containing the single
    >> line "FDISK C:").

    > Well, you *could* create an AUTOEXEC.BAT that automagically installs
    > everyone's[1] favourite OS...
    >
    > Joachim
    >
    > [1] For certain values of everyone.

    Which makes me want to know, is there an OpenBSD equivalent of LOADLIN.BAT
    as provided by Slackware?

    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m

  9. Re: OBSD 3.8 + nvidia nforce ethernet

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:13:19 +0000, jKILLSPAM.schipper wrote:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:
    >>> The most efficient AUTOEXEC.BAT from the point of view of productivity
    >>> (vide X-terms discussion in another thread) is one containing the single
    >>> line "FDISK C:").

    >> Well, you *could* create an AUTOEXEC.BAT that automagically installs
    >> everyone's[1] favourite OS...
    >>
    >> Joachim
    >>
    >> [1] For certain values of everyone.

    > Which makes me want to know, is there an OpenBSD equivalent of LOADLIN.BAT
    > as provided by Slackware?

    AFAIK, no. LOADLIN.BAT is very much a Linux thing... though there is not
    likely a theoretical reason why something similar wouldn't work with
    OpenBSD.

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2