I'm in my first venture with a non-generic kernel. I have two Soekris
NET4801 boxes and I want to use CARP / pfsync with them. I am
following the flashdist instructions to compile a kernel for the box.

The standard flashdist config doesnot allow CARP. I see that the
options do allow for GRE, (and I can enable GRE) with a

pseudo-device gre 4 # GRE encapsulation interface

line. I added a line similar to that,

pseudo-device carp # CARP test

and after config and then make clean depend bsd, I still have no CARP.
If I load a stock kernel onto the flashcard, I can get CARP.

Can someone point out what I am missing here? Thanks. The options for
the stock flashdist config file is as follows...

# OpenBSD config for networking on the Soekris Engineering
# net4801 embedded systems-
# chris@nmedia.net

machine i386 # architecture, used by config;
REQUIRED

#option NTP # hooks supporting the Network Time
Protocol

option DDB # in-kernel debugger
#option DDB_SAFE_CONSOLE # allow break into ddb during boot
#makeoptions DEBUG="-g" # compile full symbol table
#makeoptions PROF="-pg" # build profiled kernel
#option GPROF # kernel profiling, kgmon(8)
option DIAGNOSTIC # internal consistency checks
option KTRACE # system call tracing, a la ktrace(1)
#option KMEMSTATS # collect malloc(9) statistics

option CRYPTO # Cryptographic framework

option FFS # UFS
option MFS # Memory FS
#option FFS_SOFTUPDATES # Soft updates

option TCP_SACK # Selective Acknowledgements for TCP
#option TCP_FACK # Forward Acknowledgements for TCP
#option TCP_SIGNATURE # TCP MD5 Signatures, for BGP routing
sessions

option FDESC # /dev/fd
option FIFO # FIFOs; RECOMMENDED
option KERNFS # /kern
#option NULLFS # loopback file system
option PROCFS # /proc
#option UMAPFS # NULLFS + uid and gid remapping

option INET # IP + ICMP + TCP + UDP
option ALTQ # ALTQ base
#option ALTQ_NOPCC # We don't have Pentium features on
486....
# NOPCC may be necessary if the Geode's TSC is really as buggy as it
sounds
#option INET6 # IPv6 (needs INET)
#option PULLDOWN_TEST # use m_pulldown for IPv6 packet
parsing
option IPSEC # IPsec
#option PPP_BSDCOMP # PPP BSD compression
#option PPP_DEFLATE

option BOOT_CONFIG # add support for boot -c

#option I486_CPU
option I586_CPU
#option I686_CPU

option USER_PCICONF # user-space PCI configuration

#option KGDB # Remote debugger support; exclusive of
DDB
#option "KGDB_DEVNAME=\"pccom\"",KGDBADDR=0x2f8,KGDBRATE=9600

#option DUMMY_NOPS # speed hack; recommended

maxusers 32 # estimated number of users

config bsd root on wd0a

mainbus0 at root

cpu0 at mainbus0 apid ?
bios0 at mainbus0 apid ?
apm0 at bios0 flags 0x0000 # flags 0x0101 to force protocol
version 1.1
pcibios0 at bios0 flags 0x0000 # use 0x30 for a total verbose

isa0 at mainbus0
isa0 at pcib?
pci* at mainbus0 bus ?

ohci* at pci? # Open Host Controller
usb* at ohci?

#
# The MediaGX (Geode) uses a PIT clock at standard frequency so there
is
# no special setting here like there is for the Elan SC520
#

option PCCOMCONSOLE
option CONSPEED=19200

option PCIVERBOSE

uhub* at usb? # USB Hubs
uhub* at uhub? port ? configuration ? # USB Hubs
umodem* at uhub? port ? configuration ? # USB Modems/Serial
ucom* at umodem?
#ubsa* at uhub? port ? # Belkin serial adapter
#ucom* at ubsa? portno ?
#uftdi* at uhub? port ? # FTDI FT8U100AX serial adapter
#ucom* at uftdi? portno ?
#uplcom* at uhub? port ? # I/O DATA USB-RSAQ2 serial
adapter
#ucom* at uplcom? portno ?
#umct* at uhub? port ? # MCT USB-RS232 serial adapter
#ucom* at umct? portno ?
#uaudio* at uhub? port ? configuration ? # USB Audio
#umidi* at uhub? port ? configuration ?
#ulpt* at uhub? port ? configuration ? # USB Printers
#umass* at uhub? port ? configuration ? # USB Mass Storage devices
#scsibus* at umass?
#aue* at uhub? port ? # ADMtek AN986 Pegasus Ethernet
#cue* at uhub? port ? # CATC USB-EL1201A based
Ethernet
#kue* at uhub? port ? # Kawasaki KL5KUSB101B based
Ethernet
#upl* at uhub? port ? # Prolific PL2301/PL2302
host-to-host `network'
#url* at uhub? port ? # Realtek RTL8150L based
adapters
#urio* at uhub? port ? # Diamond Multimedia Rio 500
#uyap* at uhub? port ? # Y@P firmware loader
#udsbr* at uhub? port ? # D-Link DSB-R100 radio
#radio* at udsbr?
ugen* at uhub? port ? configuration ? # USB Generic driver

pchb* at pci? dev ? function ? # PCI-Host bridges
geodesc* at pci? dev ? function ? # NSC Geode System Controller
nsclpcsio* at isa? port 0x2e # NS PC87366 LPC Super I/O
nsclpcsio* at isa? port 0x4e
gpio* at nsclpcsio?

gscsio* at isa? port 0x2e # NS Geode SC1100 Super I/O
gscsio* at isa? port 0x15c
iic0 at gscsio? # ACCESS.bus 1
iic1 at gscsio? # ACCESS.bus 2
lmtemp0 at iic1 addr 0x48 # NS LM75/LM77 temperature
sensor

ppb* at pci? dev ? function ? # PCI-PCI bridges
pci* at ppb? bus ?
pci* at pchb? bus ?
pcib* at pci? dev ? function ? # PCI-ISA bridge

npx0 at isa? port 0xf0 irq 13 # math coprocessor
isadma0 at isa?

#pcppi0 at isa?
#sysbeep0 at pcppi?

pccom0 at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4 # standard PC serial ports
pccom1 at isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3

# IDE controllers
pciide* at pci ? dev ? function ? flags 0x0000
wdc0 at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14 flags 0x00

wd* at wdc? channel ? drive ? flags 0x0000
wd* at pciide? channel ? drive ? flags 0x0000

sis* at pci? dev ? function ? # SiS 900/7016 ethernet

#lmc* at pci? dev ? function ? # Lan Media / SBE card
#san* at pci? dev ? function ? # Sangoma PCI AFT card
#pseudo-device sppp 1 # Sync PPP/HDLC/FR

nsphyter* at mii? phy ? # NS and compatible
PHYs

# crypto support
hifn* at pci? dev ? function ? # Hi/fn 7xxx crypto card

# Wireless network cards
wi* at pci? dev ? function ? # Intersil Prism MiniPCI
wireless card
ath* at pci? dev ? function ? # Atheros MiniPCI wireless card

#pseudo-device pctr 1

pseudo-device crypto 1

pseudo-device ksyms 1
pseudo-device systrace 1

pseudo-device pf # packet filter
pseudo-device pflog # pf log if
pseudo-device pfsync # pf sync if
pseudo-device loop 2 # network loopback
pseudo-device bpfilter 16 # packet filter
#pseudo-device sl 2 # CSLIP
#pseudo-device ppp 2 # Async PPP
pseudo-device tun 2 # network tunneling over tty
pseudo-device enc 1 # IPSEC encapsulating interface
pseudo-device bridge 2 # network bridging support
pseudo-device vlan 32 # IEEE 802.1Q VLAN
pseudo-device gre 4 # GRE encapsulation interface
#pseudo-device strip 1 # Starmode Radio IP interface

pseudo-device pty 32 # pseudo-terminals

# for IPv6
pseudo-device gif 4 # IPv[46] over IPv[46] tunnel (RFC1933)
#pseudo-device faith 1 # IPv[46] tcp relay translation i/f