CTRL+ALT+ + seems to change font, not resolution? - BSD

This is a discussion on CTRL+ALT+ + seems to change font, not resolution? - BSD ; I have a ThinkPad T23, running on a Savage S3 video card (FreeBSD 6.0). Having installed Gnome, the resolution popped open at 640x480. Not a problem, I read in the handbook & this site that all I needed to change ...

  1. CTRL+ALT+ + seems to change font, not resolution?

    I have a ThinkPad T23, running on a Savage S3 video card (FreeBSD 6.0).

    Having installed Gnome, the resolution popped open at 640x480. Not a
    problem, I read in the handbook & this site that all I needed to change
    was the xorg.conf.new, and include the Horizontal Refresh/Vertical
    Refresh settings, etc...and then select it in the Gnome menu for
    desktop resolution.

    Doing so resulted in no new selections from the screen resolution menu
    (even if I only put 1024x768 as option).

    So I tried performing the CTRL+Alt++ in Gnome (as I read in this
    forum). While the screen changed -- it seemed the real change was to
    the font size, rather than the resolution (i.e. still 640x480, but the
    font changes from say, 10pt. to 12, then 14, then 18, etc....)

    Can someone point me to either a sample xorg.conf file? Or settings
    newbies, like myself, may be missing (i.e. not written in the
    handbook)? I have everything running smoothly -- but my resolution
    should be able to hit 1024x768 (with 24bit or 32bit -- I cannot
    remember). Perhaps I need to check a particular driver?

    I'd be also happy to read anything that may already answer this
    question...

    regards,
    Stoomaroo

  2. Re: CTRL+ALT+ + seems to change font, not resolution?

    stewart.yaxley@gmail.com writes:

    > I have a ThinkPad T23, running on a Savage S3 video card (FreeBSD 6.0).

    And that's why you're asking how it works on OpenBSD?

    Section "Modes"
    Identifier "T23 modes"
    Mode "1024x768"
    DotClock 65
    HTimings 1024 1032 1176 1344
    VTimings 768 771 777 806
    Flags "-hsync" "-vsync"
    EndMode
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "S3 SuperSavage"
    Driver "savage"
    VendorName "S3"
    BoardName "S3 SuperSavage/IXC 64"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

    ### Available Driver options are:-
    # Option "SWcursor"
    # Option "HWcursor"
    # Option "NoAccel"
    # Option "ShowCache"
    # Option "ShadowFB"
    # Option "UseFBDev"
    # Option "Rotate"
    EndSection

    Is what works on my OpenBSD running T23. Don't use Gnome sho can't
    help you there.

    // marc

  3. Re: CTRL+ALT+ + seems to change font, not resolution?

    >And that's why you're asking how it works on OpenBSD?

    That's the hardware that came with it...I can't complain.

    I will configure the settings file, and let you know.

    Cheers. stoomaroo.

  4. Re: CTRL+ALT+ + seems to change font, not resolution?

    My idiodicy -- I thought I was in FreeBSD...

    Too many drugs -- must stop!

    Cheers though -- got my resolution up!

    regards,
    stoomaroo