suggestions for cheap laptop? - BSD

This is a discussion on suggestions for cheap laptop? - BSD ; There seems to be a lot of cheap ($500-700) laptops around these days, but it's hard to figure out which ones will work with OpenBSD. Today I was checking out the $599 Acer Aspire 3003LCI deal at Circuit City, but ...

  1. suggestions for cheap laptop?

    There seems to be a lot of cheap ($500-700) laptops around these days,
    but it's hard to figure out which ones will work with OpenBSD. Today I
    was checking out the $599 Acer Aspire 3003LCI deal at Circuit City, but
    they wouldn't let me boot an OpenBSD cdrom, and they have a 15%
    restocking fee, so I don't want to take chances... I had to sit there
    and make notes based on the drivers listed in the windoze control panel
    to get an idea of what was under the hood, and only to find out that the
    wifi is broadcom (sucks!) and the SiS M760GX video chipset sucks with
    only shared memory available.

    So I'm posting here in the hopes that someone will be able to point me
    in the right direction. The laptop list in the "hardware platform" of
    openbsd.org is fairly limited in scope and doesn't cover the latest
    models, at least not the ones in the price range I'm considering.

    My needs are fairly simple:
    - decent cpu, nothing fancy (900 MHz celeron is okay)
    - 256 MB RAM, or better
    - 40 GB 5400rpm disk, or better
    - working 10/100 LAN
    - working video chip (800x600@16bpp, or better)
    - 15-inch LCD
    - working audio, USB 2.0 and pcmcia

    Nice to have, but not necessary:
    - working wifi
    - working modem

    Any experiences, suggestions, etc. along these lines will be greatly
    appreciated! I've never owned a laptop before and I don't want to dive
    in without making sure it works well with my favorite OS.

  2. Re: suggestions for cheap laptop?

    On 2005-11-14, foo wrote:
    > There seems to be a lot of cheap ($500-700) laptops around these days,

    go for a used thinkpad, make sure the bios does apm instead of acpi
    and youll probably be fine. (actually any laptop thats old enough to
    have apm is probably ok) it might be hard to get apm and usb2 in the
    same one, but theres pcmcia cards with that (never tried this, so
    i dont really know if they work in openbsd)

+ Reply to Thread