binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8 - BSD

This is a discussion on binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8 - BSD ; How to binary upgrade OBSD 3.7 to 3.8 remotly via ssh. System 3.7 can't stop longer than 10 minute....

  1. binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    How to binary upgrade OBSD 3.7 to 3.8 remotly via ssh. System 3.7 can't
    stop longer than 10 minute.

  2. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:39:51 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:

    > How to binary upgrade OBSD 3.7 to 3.8 remotly via ssh. System 3.7 can't
    > stop longer than 10 minute.

    http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade38.html

  3. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:39:51 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:
    >

    >>How to binary upgrade OBSD 3.7 to 3.8 remotly via ssh. System 3.7 can't
    >>stop longer than 10 minute.

    > http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade38.html

    I made all from this page. All services run right, except Apache httpd.
    I cant run httpd.

    Where can I look errors? Log file - which?

  4. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:44:26 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:39:51 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:
    >>

    >>>How to binary upgrade OBSD 3.7 to 3.8 remotly via ssh. System 3.7 can't
    >>>stop longer than 10 minute.

    >> http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade38.html
    >>

    > I made all from this page. All services run right, except Apache httpd.
    > I cant run httpd.
    >
    > Where can I look errors? Log file - which?

    The etc38.tgz tarball contains a new, original /var/www/conf/httpd.conf.
    I hope you have your original one backed up.

  5. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    Krzys2 wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:39:51 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:
    >>

    >>>How to binary upgrade OBSD 3.7 to 3.8 remotly via ssh. System 3.7 can't
    >>>stop longer than 10 minute.

    >> http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade38.html
    >>

    > I made all from this page. All services run right, except Apache httpd.
    > I cant run httpd.
    >
    > Where can I look errors? Log file - which?

    You did try stopping Apache, removing all packages (ESPECIALLY PHP) and
    re-installing them, no?

    Joachim

  6. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:44:26 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:
    >

    >>Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>>http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade38.html
    >>>

    >>I made all from this page. All services run right, except Apache httpd.
    >>I cant run httpd.
    >>
    >>Where can I look errors? Log file - which?

    > The etc38.tgz tarball contains a new, original /var/www/conf/httpd.conf.
    > I hope you have your original one backed up.

    Yes I backed up my httpd.conf file and restore it.

    httpd don't start - no errors in console.

  7. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    > Krzys2 wrote:
    >
    >>Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>>http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade38.html
    >>>

    >>I made all from this page. All services run right, except Apache httpd.
    >>I cant run httpd.
    >>
    >>Where can I look errors? Log file - which?

    > You did try stopping Apache, removing all packages (ESPECIALLY PHP) and
    > re-installing them, no?
    >
    > Joachim

    No - it is neccesary? in FAQ its optional.

  8. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 02:28:41 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> The etc38.tgz tarball contains a new, original /var/www/conf/httpd.conf.
    >> I hope you have your original one backed up.
    >>

    > Yes I backed up my httpd.conf file and restore it.
    >
    > httpd don't start - no errors in console.

    Did you keep the same arguments to httpd_flags in /etc/rc.conf?

    How are you trying to start httpd? Are you using apachectl?

  9. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 02:28:41 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:
    >

    >>Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>>The etc38.tgz tarball contains a new, original /var/www/conf/httpd.conf.
    >>>I hope you have your original one backed up.
    >>>

    >>Yes I backed up my httpd.conf file and restore it.
    >>
    >>httpd don't start - no errors in console.

    > Did you keep the same arguments to httpd_flags in /etc/rc.conf?

    yes

    > How are you trying to start httpd? Are you using apachectl?

    yes I'm using apachectl

    and another one bug:

    four procceses, each about 19% CPU smbd -D

    smbd is call only once in rc.local

  10. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:09:18 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Did you keep the same arguments to httpd_flags in /etc/rc.conf?

    > yes
    >>
    >> How are you trying to start httpd? Are you using apachectl?
    >>

    > yes I'm using apachectl

    And `apachectl configtest` reports "Syntax OK"?

    > and another one bug:
    >
    > four procceses, each about 19% CPU smbd -D
    >
    > smbd is call only once in rc.local

    Samba spawns an additional process for each connection by a client host.

  11. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:09:18 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:
    >

    >>Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>>Did you keep the same arguments to httpd_flags in /etc/rc.conf?

    >>yes
    >>
    >>>How are you trying to start httpd? Are you using apachectl?
    >>>

    >>yes I'm using apachectl

    > And `apachectl configtest` reports "Syntax OK"?
    >

    >>and another one bug:
    >>
    >>four procceses, each about 19% CPU smbd -D
    >>
    >>smbd is call only once in rc.local

    > Samba spawns an additional process for each connection by a client host.

    another problem

    when compiling from ports mozilla-firefox I get error

    /usr/local/bin/gmake is not GMU make

    the same like some another ports

    whats wrong?

  12. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:18:27 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:

    > /usr/local/bin/gmake is not GMU make
    >
    > the same like some another ports
    >
    > whats wrong?

    No idea, specially if you followed the upgrade guide precisely.

  13. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    Krzys2 wrote:
    > jKILLSPAM.schipper@math.uu.nl wrote:
    >> Krzys2 wrote:

    >>>I made all from this page. All services run right, except Apache httpd.
    >>>I cant run httpd.
    >>>
    >>>Where can I look errors? Log file - which?

    >> You did try stopping Apache, removing all packages (ESPECIALLY PHP) and
    >> re-installing them, no?
    >>
    >> Joachim

    > No - it is neccesary? in FAQ its optional.

    Optional, but many people use it. And you have the upgrade userland
    anyway, so why not do it right?

    Plus I have seen more than one question of this type due to dodgy PHP
    installations.

    Joachim

  14. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    In article , Dave Uhring wrote:
    >On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:44:26 +0100, Krzys2 wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade38.html

    >> I made all from this page. All services run right, except Apache httpd.
    >> I cant run httpd.

    >> Where can I look errors? Log file - which?

    >The etc38.tgz tarball contains a new, original /var/www/conf/httpd.conf.
    >I hope you have your original one backed up.

    Well, he shouldn't be installing etc38.tgz - the upgrade faq says so and
    has said that for the last several versions. "Install new userland
    applications. Do NOT install etc38.tgz and xetc38.tgz now!" Below that
    it lead syou through which changes you need to make to /etc.

  15. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    In article , Krzys2 wrote:
    >Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> The etc38.tgz tarball contains a new, original /var/www/conf/httpd.conf.
    >> I hope you have your original one backed up.

    >Yes I backed up my httpd.conf file and restore it.
    >httpd don't start - no errors in console.

    Delete everything in /var/www/logs/ and then run httpd and check out
    /var/www/logs/error.log to see what it says. Make sure, first, that is
    where you httpd.conf has set the log directory to.

    Alsmo make sur ethan when you are starting httpd manually that you use
    the proper, expected args? For example, coudl you be forgetting to add
    an -u so httpd does not chroot itself by default and thus can't find any
    modules or other stuff outside /var/www ?

  16. Re: binary upgrade 3.7 to 3.8

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:11:18 +0000, Cory C. Albrecht wrote:

    > In article , Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>The etc38.tgz tarball contains a new, original /var/www/conf/httpd.conf.
    >>I hope you have your original one backed up.

    > Well, he shouldn't be installing etc38.tgz - the upgrade faq says so and
    > has said that for the last several versions. "Install new userland
    > applications. Do NOT install etc38.tgz and xetc38.tgz now!" Below that
    > it lead syou through which changes you need to make to /etc.

    Not installing etcXX.tgz has been the case since at least 2.6. This does
    not mean that the OP actually followed that instruction.

+ Reply to Thread