startx - all starts clean, still only blinking cursor - BSD

This is a discussion on startx - all starts clean, still only blinking cursor - BSD ; Also see: http://www.openbsdforums.org/forums/...415#post193415 openbsd 3.8 First: is it not possible to catch the startx output? /bin/ksh Then; as far as I can tell (from the output after killing X) everything (video, resolutions monitor) agrees and works. If I Ctrl-Alt-F2, and ...

  1. startx - all starts clean, still only blinking cursor

    Also see:
    http://www.openbsdforums.org/forums/...415#post193415

    openbsd 3.8

    First: is it not possible to catch the startx output? /bin/ksh

    Then; as far as I can tell (from the output after killing X) everything
    (video, resolutions monitor) agrees and works. If I Ctrl-Alt-F2, and ps
    -x I'll get fvwm, xterm, xclock and the likes.
    But as you might guess, I don't get any video/picture/image! All I get
    is blinking cursor (at first attempt) and an extra "" sign (at
    succeeding attempts). No mouse cursor (/dev/tty00) visible either.
    According to startx tty00 seems ok (no errors). /dev/wsmouse0 gives
    errors. Also PCI card is not detected correctly (after lots of
    research; old 1MB PCI card; startx needs and uses SVGA_Server), but it
    runs correct according to the output (and internet info) on this
    different chipset.

    xdm will not start either - I have to manually shut the PC down!
    Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't work! According to xdm-system, my mouse is on
    /dev/wsmouse0, tty00 gives errors.

    I configured X with xf86config3 (which is more detailed and all I
    need). Just to be sure, also used xorgconfig and placed the
    configuration file in /etc/.

    Also tuned /etc/XF86Config and added (to no avail)
    Option "no_bitblt"
    Option "noaccel"

    machdep.allowaperature = 2

    Xorg -configure does not work (unrecognised option -configure).

    The script command I received for getting the startx-log was a real
    genius tip
    Strange log remark after reading startx output: xf86ReadBios. Failed to
    open /dev/mem Permission denied.

    What can I do?

    Thanx : )

  2. Re: startx - all starts clean, still only blinking cursor

    Also see:
    http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36332
    openbsd 3.8

    startx

[...]