nVidia/ATI/GeForce - BSD

This is a discussion on nVidia/ATI/GeForce - BSD ; Hi, Can I assume that all modern AGP display adapters are supported with OBSD? Thanks Huub...

  1. nVidia/ATI/GeForce

    Hi,

    Can I assume that all modern AGP display adapters are supported with OBSD?

    Thanks

    Huub

  2. Re: nVidia/ATI/GeForce

    On 09/11/2005 1:18 PM, Huub wrote:
    > Can I assume that all modern AGP display adapters are supported with OBSD?

    Will it work as a basic VGA 2D device in text mode? Almost without a doubt.

    As a full 3D accelerator in X? That depends. It should work as a basic
    SVGA device in a graphical environment, but 3D acceleration will take
    some work, if it works at all.

  3. Re: nVidia/ATI/GeForce

    > Will it work as a basic VGA 2D device in text mode? Almost without a
    > doubt.

    I don't doubt about that.

    > As a full 3D accelerator in X? That depends. It should work as a basic
    > SVGA device in a graphical environment, but 3D acceleration will take
    > some work, if it works at all.

    But will I be able to run the fluxbox-wm with the usual applications
    like Eclipse, Firefox, Thunderbird, Xpdf, OpenOffice or Blender? I'm not
    into 3D gaming so that's no issue for me.

  4. Re: nVidia/ATI/GeForce

    On 09/11/2005 4:08 PM, Huub wrote:
    >> As a full 3D accelerator in X? That depends. It should work as a
    >> basic SVGA device in a graphical environment, but 3D acceleration will
    >> take some work, if it works at all.

    > But will I be able to run the fluxbox-wm with the usual applications
    > like Eclipse, Firefox, Thunderbird, Xpdf, OpenOffice or Blender? I'm not
    > into 3D gaming so that's no issue for me.

    Likely, but only as an SVGA equivalent device. Getting your monitor to
    agree with it on your favourite resolutions might take some X config
    hacking. But it should work as a basic SVGA graphics adapter.

  5. Re: nVidia/ATI/GeForce

    Wednesday 09 November 2005 20:18 Huub <"v.niekerk at freeler.nl"> wrote
    in comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can I assume that all modern AGP display adapters are supported with
    > OBSD?

    You are talking about X on OpenBSD, so no, but Xorg (at least on i386)
    still supports many modern display adapters. To my knowledge there is
    no hardware acceleration for 3D-operations on OpenBSD, but
    2D-acceleration should work just like on any other system with X.org's
    X server. Xorg supports most nVidia cards with the nv(4)-driver, ATI
    Radeons with radeon(4)-driver and so on.

    I have personally installed OpenBSD/i386 on a couple of machines with
    quite recent AGP cards, one with Radeon 9200, another with nVidia
    GeForce FX 5500. Both worked just fine with X and whatever DE or WM you
    install from ports or packages. Even more recent display adapters
    should work, at least from nVidia or ATI, but look for supported
    manufacturers/chips in the Xorg manuals.

    You can read the Xorg manual pages from the OpenBSD website for more
    info (for example xorg.conf(5) and it's "SEE ALSO"-section, nv(4) and
    radeon(4)).
    --
    marko [dot] vihoma [at] dnainternet [dot] net
    BOFH excuse #275:

    Bit rot

+ Reply to Thread