    Thanks

    Huub

  2. Re: AMD Sempron

    On 2005-11-06, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    > I want to install OBSD on a system with a AMD Sempron 3400+ CPU.
    > Checking the hardware list, I don't see Sempron listed. Any advise?

    I think it should be ok. A local electronics chain regularly sells
    Sempron computers pre-loaded with Linspire Linux. That's usually a
    good sign. But, find out what the m/b and chipset are. One place
    around here....

    http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...EGORYBody&c=MB

    ....is selling Jetway m/b's with Semprons. I googled for some Jetway
    reviews and they weren't encouraging. I don't know what's in the
    Linspire boxes.

    nb

  3. Re: AMD Sempron

    Begin <436e225d$0$783$3a628fcd@reader10.nntp.hccnet.nl>
    On 2005-11-06, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > I want to install OBSD on a system with a AMD Sempron 3400+ CPU.
    > Checking the hardware list, I don't see Sempron listed. Any advise?

    Semprons are basically relabeled athlons (the 32bit version).

  4. Re: AMD Sempron

    > Semprons are basically relabeled athlons (the 32bit version).

    So, actually no problem.

  5. Re: AMD Sempron

    jpd wrote in news:3t77feFr1q4eU1
    @individual.net:

    > Begin <436e225d$0$783$3a628fcd@reader10.nntp.hccnet.nl>
    > On 2005-11-06, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >> I want to install OBSD on a system with a AMD Sempron 3400+ CPU.
    >> Checking the hardware list, I don't see Sempron listed. Any advise?

    > Semprons are basically relabeled athlons (the 32bit version).

    The newer crop of Semprons are Athon64 chips without as much cache and fsb.

    http://www.tomshardware.com if you want to take a look for yourselfto see
    how they fair.

  6. Re: AMD Sempron

    Huub wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to install OBSD on a system with a AMD Sempron 3400+ CPU.
    > Checking the hardware list, I don't see Sempron listed. Any advise?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Huub

    Some confirmation.....

    I just set up 4 boxes with semprons (all E6 rev) running amd64 version
    of OpenBSD 3.8.

    2 x 2800+
    2 x 2500+

    had to upgrade the BIOS on the asus k8v-x boards to get the 2500+
    identified properly. The 2800's just worked on a gigabyte
    k8mn80080mnnmn800 (or whatever the bloody thing is called !)

    all four of them are working beautifully.

    No cool'n quiet but very nice nonetheless.

+ Reply to Thread