Unix newbie looking for tutorials - BSD

This is a discussion on Unix newbie looking for tutorials - BSD ; Hi I am pretty much new to *nix, having mainly used Windows. However am considering OpenBSD to run a web server & associated servers. I will be employing someone for this but I guess I should atleast try to understand ...

  1. Unix newbie looking for tutorials

    Hi

    I am pretty much new to *nix, having mainly used Windows. However am
    considering OpenBSD to run a web server & associated servers. I will be
    employing someone for this but I guess I should atleast try to understand
    the basics, so am looking to learn what I can.
    I have downloaded the x86-64 package, burnt a bootable CD & am looking for a
    step by step tutorial that does not presume any familiarity.
    The hardware is to consist of dual processor / single & dual core Opterons
    on Tyan S2881 & S2882 boards.
    Any suggestions welcome.

    S.Althaf

  2. Re: Unix newbie looking for tutorials

    Begin <1131206706.43993.0@despina.uk.clara.net>
    On 2005-11-05, Clueless wrote:
    > I am pretty much new to *nix, having mainly used Windows. However am
    > considering OpenBSD to run a web server & associated servers. I will be
    > employing someone for this but I guess I should atleast try to understand
    > the basics, so am looking to learn what I can.

    I've heard good things about

    http://www.ora.com/catalog/lunix5

    It is a generic book on unix, but the upshot of it is that a good
    understanding of ``what makes unix tick'' helps you get familiar with
    most any un*x system on pretty short notice.

    > I have downloaded the x86-64 package, burnt a bootable CD & am looking for a
    > step by step tutorial that does not presume any familiarity.

    Tried the OpenBSD installation notes (INSTALL.TXT and friends)?

  3. Re: Unix newbie looking for tutorials

    On 2005-11-05, Clueless wrote:

    > I have downloaded the x86-64 package, burnt a bootable CD & am looking for a
    > step by step tutorial that does not presume any familiarity.

    > Any suggestions welcome.

    You are not going to find any step-by-step tutorials because that
    would require that the author have the exact same computer, m/b, and
    software as you, which is highly unlikely. But, there are some good
    books out there and you need to spend a day at Border's or B/N and
    look at some to see which one's meet your needs.

    My recommendation for someone just starting out in the *nixes is most
    any book by Mark Sobell. I learned from his Unix System V, but you're
    going with BSD so check out his Practical Guide to the Unix System,
    3rd ed.:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?R46225C1C

    I like his books because he has a simple and concise writing style
    that doesn't dumb things down, yet also doesn't assume you already
    know some unix, thereby stranding you on some unknown-to-you Unix term
    while he toodles off down the page, a problem I've run across in too
    many other books. He gives you just what you need just when you need
    it. Most of his books are similar in the basics, differing only in
    operating system (OS) specifics. Any one of them should be most
    helpful.

    nb

  4. Re: Unix newbie looking for tutorials

    jpd wrote:

    > http://www.ora.com/catalog/lunix5
    >
    > It is a generic book on unix, but the upshot of it is that a good
    > understanding of ``what makes unix tick'' helps you get familiar with
    > most any un*x system on pretty short notice.

    Thanks "jpd" & "nb" for your assistance. I have spent a while on Google
    (groups & web) looking for pointers & found a few handy HowTo's but as you
    say it is the concepts I am looking for. Will investigate the library next.

    S. Althaf

  5. Re: Unix newbie looking for tutorials

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 16:06:34 -0000, "Clueless"
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I am pretty much new to *nix, having mainly used Windows. However am
    >considering OpenBSD to run a web server & associated servers. I will be
    >employing someone for this but I guess I should atleast try to understand
    >the basics, so am looking to learn what I can.
    >I have downloaded the x86-64 package, burnt a bootable CD & am looking for a
    >step by step tutorial that does not presume any familiarity.
    >The hardware is to consist of dual processor / single & dual core Opterons
    >on Tyan S2881 & S2882 boards.
    >Any suggestions welcome.
    >

    >S.Althaf

    Beginners tutorial

    http://www.wbglinks.net/pages/openbsd/

  6. Re: Unix newbie looking for tutorials

    Hello.

    I am also new to OpenBSD, but i managed to configure:
    - xDSL
    - Apache + SSL
    - PHP
    - MySQL
    - Samaba
    - PF
    - KDE
    - FTP
    - mail
    - ...

    I found gr8 articles here:
    http://www.openbsdsupport.org/

    I recommend you to read OpenBSD book:
    Absolute OpenBSD (UNIX for the Practical Paranoid by Michael W. Lucas)

    Here you can read my step by step notes how to install and configure
    OpenBSD:
    http://www.4ezi.com/misc/share/perso...ls/openbsd.txt

    Regards,
    TomazZ

    Clueless je napisal:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am pretty much new to *nix, having mainly used Windows. However am
    > considering OpenBSD to run a web server & associated servers. I will be
    > employing someone for this but I guess I should atleast try to understand
    > the basics, so am looking to learn what I can.
    > I have downloaded the x86-64 package, burnt a bootable CD & am looking for a
    > step by step tutorial that does not presume any familiarity.
    > The hardware is to consist of dual processor / single & dual core Opterons
    > on Tyan S2881 & S2882 boards.
    > Any suggestions welcome.
    >

    > S.Althaf

+ Reply to Thread