I have a laptop with a Maestro 2E. The out of the box setup works but
there is a remaining issue. All playback has the right and left
channels swapped. I checked the outputs of mixerctl -a and audioctl -a
and was unable to find a variable to correct this. I was also unable to
find a flag for the maestro driver or audio driver to toggle the swap.
Is there either a flag I missed or a simple (non hardware) way to
resolve this?

------- dmesg section
maestro0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0 "ESS Maestro 2E" rev 0x10: irq 5
ac97: codec id 0x83847609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
ac97: codec features 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, SigmaTel 3D
audio0 at maestro0

------ audioctl -a
name=ESS Maestro
version=
config=maestro
encodings=slinear_le:16,slinear:8,ulinear:8,slinea r_be:16*,ulinear_le:16*,ulinear_be:16*,mulaw:8*,al aw:8*
properties=mmap,independent
full_duplex=0
fullduplex=0
blocksize=8816